Bergen Catholic hosting Tampa Catholic Week 3

Joshua Wilson

Per a release from Bergen Catholic, they have announced they will be hosting Tampa Catholic for Week 3.

RELEASE: http://www.bergencatholic.org/ftpimages/678/download/download_1540431.pdf

Interesting... Could be a challenging match up for Tampa Catholic but a good experience none the less...

I would like to see a FL team that could really use the money (maybe a strong public school or something) travel to NJ in the future.

If I had to rank Tampa Bay private schools to represent the State of Florida in NJ, Tampa Catholic would be #3.  Clearwater Central Catholic and Tampa Jesuit would be 1 and 2. That's not to say they aren't deserving- they are, and they bring back quite a bit of talent from their 10-3, Final 4 team; however, they aren't at the level of the top 2, who are just great right now.  Still, good luck to the Crusaders of TC- we'll be watching and hopeful you represent the state well!

If I had to rank Tampa Bay private schools to represent the State of Florida in NJ, Tampa Catholic would be #3.  Clearwater Central Catholic and Tampa Jesuit would be 1 and 2. That's not to say they aren't deserving- they are, and they bring back quite a bit of talent from their 10-3, Final 4 team; however, they aren't at the level of the top 2, who are just great right now.  Still, good luck to the Crusaders of TC- we'll be watching and hopeful you represent the state well!

Jessica, glad to see you on here! I know you have been off Twitter, so haven't able to chat to you about 3A football.. Will have to catch up soon on this!

Okay, to the point of the topic- and because I had WAYYY to much time on my hands last night, I compiled some numbers on the team that Florida is sending to face Bergen Catholic, Tampa Catholic.  Many fans consider the "Modern Era" of current high school football to of started around 1995/1996 (This, I know, is debatable- but let's go with it for the sake of this post). I only have records that go back to 1998; however, here's a brief history:

Since 1998 Tampa Catholic has been to 2 State Championship games (2007, 2009), been to 5 Final Fours and won their district 6 times.  The 2016 version of the team features Devan Barrett one of the top running backs in America according to most major recruiting sites (Usually in the top 20). They feature a dynamite offense with Austin Sessums at QB and strong WR play with stars such as Bentlee Sanders and Darious Corbett.  The Crusaders finished 2015 10-3 with a Final 4 appearance. The offense averaged close to 45 ppg; however, the defense was suspect all year. This is a senior laden team that has played together for 3 years under a good head coach in Mike Gregory.

The bug-a-boo on Tampa Catholic is that they have a history of not showing up in big games. Tampa Catholic has two major rivals, Tampa Jesuit and Clearwater Central Catholic.

Since 1998:

TC is 0-17 against Tampa Jesuit
TC is 4-15 against CCC

Combined record against rivals is 4-32.   In a total of 36 games, the Crusaders of TC are batting a 12.5% win average....

Tampa Catholic is expected to have a strong football team this year, but on paper, they're clear and convincing underdogs against Bergen Catholic. That said, this game has apparently been in the works for awhile as the Crusaders started hitting their alumni up for money late last year.

In the end, I don't have a problem with Tampa Catholic traveling to Bergen Catholic to play- it's an experience the players will enjoy for a lifetime. Plus, on a senior laden team- I've no doubt this is their best chance to be competitive. 

Okay, to the point of the topic- and because I had WAYYY to much time on my hands last night, I compiled some numbers on the team that Florida is sending to face Bergen Catholic, Tampa Catholic.  Many fans consider the "Modern Era" of current high school football to of started around 1995/1996 (This, I know, is debatable- but let's go with it for the sake of this post). I only have records that go back to 1998; however, here's a brief history:

Since 1998 Tampa Catholic has been to 2 State Championship games (2007, 2009), been to 5 Final Fours and won their district 6 times.  The 2016 version of the team features Devan Barrett one of the top running backs in America according to most major recruiting sites (Usually in the top 20). They feature a dynamite offense with Austin Sessums at QB and strong WR play with stars such as Bentlee Sanders and Darious Corbett.  The Crusaders finished 2015 10-3 with a Final 4 appearance. The offense averaged close to 45 ppg; however, the defense was suspect all year. This is a senior laden team that has played together for 3 years under a good head coach in Mike Gregory.

The bug-a-boo on Tampa Catholic is that they have a history of not showing up in big games. Tampa Catholic has two major rivals, Tampa Jesuit and Clearwater Central Catholic.

Since 1998:

TC is 0-17 against Tampa Jesuit

TC is 4-15 against CCC

Combined record against rivals is 4-32.   In a total of 36 games, the Crusaders of TC are batting a 12.5% win average....

Tampa Catholic is expected to have a strong football team this year, but on paper, they're clear and convincing underdogs against Bergen Catholic. That said, this game has apparently been in the works for awhile as the Crusaders started hitting their alumni up for money late last year.

In the end, I don't have a problem with Tampa Catholic traveling to Bergen Catholic to play- it's an experience the players will enjoy for a lifetime. Plus, on a senior laden team- I've no doubt this is their best chance to be competitive. 

Great info @SPCjessica2004 .  I believe some of the negative history on Tampa Catholic in big games is indeed partly because they did not show up, but I also believe that it is simply because the big games that they play are also the only sound teams that they play.  Looking at their 2016 schedule : TCA, Elite team held them to 14 pts, Jesuit, very good team held them to 20 pts, CCHS embarassed at their own offensive game 49-28,  a 4-6 average at best Riverview team played them tight to a 27-20 score.   The rest of the teams that  Tampa Catholic played are punching bags.  Give Tampa Catholic the AHD schedule and they are a .500 team...I personally think Tampa Catholic are a solid team particularly offensively,  but their offensive numbers/stats  are padded against weak teams in their regular season schedule.

I think you are spot on with the 2016 team being the most competitive- possibly ever. It is good that they are beefing up their regular season schedule.  Teams like TCA, AHD and even Oxbridge or Chaminade-Madonna now have an edge by playing harder regular season schedules.    Like you said, it will be a great test and experience for the kids, and will give geeks like myself a feel if they may have what it takes to take on TCA....

Thanks! I have to update my account here- I'll be back on twitter at some point; however, there were just to many people sending inappropriate DM's that I just got tired of filtering. Glad to finally be over here, a great group of posters!

You mean like fans of teams who didn't "like" your opinion or like old creepy guys trying to come on to you?  "Social media is a dark and creepy place" LOL

• 3 weeks later...

the logistics for a public team to travel multiple state lines is almost impossible without a promotion company covering the cost

Booster clubs and sponsorship never hurt but in many of these OOS (Out Of State) deals/contracts it is frequently the host or home school that picks up the travel and hospitality fees (and then some on top of that) for the team that has to travel.  There are reasons why teams from Texas rarely travel  ;) and will gladly invite you to their house-  the big money is there.  Many public HS Football Coaches in Texas make well over $100,000 with excellent benefits.  The average salary for public school coaches in Houston this year is about 95K!  I can assure you that many of the public school football stadiums, facilities and training options will even embarrass the private schools here in Florida.

I believe Georgia Publics also have a pretty big budget for football and coaching etc..  Coincidentally,  these are the two states that are generally known not to travel out of state- unless there is a favored winning probability for them.