Apopka Football Schedulequ

DarterBlue2

In looking at our schedule, it has been impacted by the new playoff rules. In particular, the addition of the following teams reflect this:

Lakeland

Norland

Mandarin

Apopka is on the road for Lakeland and Mandarin and gets Norland at home. All three games are good non traditional tests. For while Norland's 2016 record did not look that impressive, they were in an incredibly difficult districts with Carol City, Central and Northwestern. 

Rounding out the non district schedule are:

Dr. Phillips
Boone

Ocoee

Oak Ridge

Dp. is the quality team here, while Oak Ridge has talent, but it is young. 

District Games:

Evans

Wekiva 

West Orange

Overall, I am not sure what to expect from Apopka this year. They graduated several multi-year players, but consistent with the past decade had a strong freshman team, as well as some decent returning starters. They are in a small district. I expect Wekiva to continue to improve. I am not sure about West Orange which came off a very disappointing year and will be affected by the opening of the new high school which will draw heavily from them. And, even though the new school will start without a Varsity team and a senior class, I expect it to have an immediate effect on West Orange's talent pool. Evans has been many years in the wilderness and although there is talent in its zone, until the program stabilizes, will probably remain the cellar dweller. 

Apopka probably makes the playoffs even if it does not win the district. How it performs in the post season is an open question. Some hints may come from the spring game which is against a tough Orange City University.