Polk County Public Schools pushing football kickoff times back for 2014 season

Joshua Wilson

Polk County is shifting all of its games back to a 7:30 p.m. start this coming season, a change from the 7:00 p.m. start time in past years. 

The Lakeland Ledger first reported the news yesterday and they say it could mean a playoff type atmosphere every week.

However, I am not sure if that will be the case for every team, but this is a change considering a lot of areas have shifted to the 7:00 p.m. start time over the years, with Brevard County making the shift to 7:00 p.m. this past season.

No real drawbacks that I can see. The night sky and bright lights do tend to make for a more traditional atmosphere. Early season games will still have about an hour or so of light. It will definitely make it nicer for those of us that have children involved that need to be there 2 hours before game time.

No real drawbacks that I can see. The night sky and bright lights do tend to make for a more traditional atmosphere. Early season games will still have about an hour or so of light. It will definitely make it nicer for those of us that have children involved that need to be there 2 hours before game time.

I can see what you are saying about this. It makes sense in a lot of ways. Wasn't there a time back in the day that kickoffs were 8:00 p.m.? I have seen some, but I am not 100 percent certain if it was commonplace or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in NC most public school games in the Charlotte area start at 7, but the school I support up here has games at 730 as do most other schools....730 is a good time. Most traffic is gone from rush hour and people have a chance to go home and get ready before heading out....good decision here by Polk County 

Here in NC most public school games in the Charlotte area start at 7, but the school I support up here has games at 730 as do most other schools....730 is a good time. Most traffic is gone from rush hour and people have a chance to go home and get ready before heading out....good decision here by Polk County 

I LIKE IT 8 WOULD HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER LOL....FOR BROWARD OF COURSE

• 4 weeks later...

@STARaiders2014 That's not going to happen so make that 4 in a row as for going to states I can see that.

I think this season STA has as good of a shot as ever with Scarlett if we can get him going we can avoid having to throw on Miramar's stud DBs which would not be desirable....we shall see though should be another great game