Flanagan @ Cypress Bay

BrowardHandicapper

Broward county speaking, in the shadow of the heralded St. Thomas / Miramar matchup you have Cypress Bay hosting Flanagan.  Neither team has really been tested yet but on a smaller scale this will be an interesting matchup.  Both of these teams are arguably top 10 teams in Broward County.   Flanagan defeated Cypress Bay last year for the first time in their matchup history in a 35 - 13 fashion.  Although Cypress Bay has not returned to their 2012 level of play (8A State Title run) they appear to be improved from a sub-par 2013 season.  Traditionally Miramar and Cypress Bay have battled for the 12-8A District however Flanagan will attempt to prove last year's season was not a fluke and make a District Title run of their own. 

Any thoughts or predictions for this matchup?

These are clearly the second and third best teams in this District behind Miramar and I don't think Cypress Bay is wanting to give up the "second best " team in the District title as of yet.  I think Cypress Bay keeps this game a little closer then 21.  As good as the Flanagan defense has been I can't see Cypress Bay being held to a mere 7 points at home in this District matchup.  However, I saw Flanagan play one game this year vs. Norland and they absolutely toyed with this team on both sides of the ball.... very well coached, physical team.  They have a couple of linebackers that really bring it and will be a nightmare for anyone they face this season.

My prediction:

Flanagan: 23 Cypress Bay: 15

It's gonna be interesting..... No one is willing to put Flanagan in the same sentence as Miramar, Aquinas and Heritage ( understandably) but I believe if they are the 4th team in Broward the gap is closer then ever.   Miramar's huge advantage is their schedule strength over Flanagan. I give a slight edge to Miramar at Defense ( I think Flanagan has a better run stop but Miramar on the corners for sure)  for now but a slight edge to Flanagan at O. Flanagan QB is solid and faster then you might expect... I think Miramar's biggest question mark is their new QB.  Tonight will be interesting.  I will be very impressed if the Junior can lead the team to victory against St. Thomas Aquinas.......

I went to the Flanagan @ Miramar game last year and it was pretty close( I think Miramar won by 8) , this year Flanagan get's a shot at the District at home. Loser will likely head to Monarch post season and Winner will likely host???? they way things are going in that District possibly Douglas or Coral Springs.  (Douglas hammered Deerfield last night and Springs had Hallandale on the ropes but gave up 28 unanswered points last night)  One thing I might add is for some reason Everglades usually plays Flanagan tough or beats them.  Flanagan is @  Everglades in 2 weeks.  That is their only mental hump in the road until Miramar on 10/17.