Miramar Coach is out?

Zoe Boy

According to the Miami Herald, Miramar coach Matt Strout did indeed step down/resign .  A change was needed, but what should be said is no one was complaining when Miramar had their way with Booker T. Washington  and beat down Hallandale for fun in pre-season football.  Then the Patriots go into the regular season beat the best team out of Palm Beach County and lose to 3 of the top 10 teams in Florida in the 4th quarter and now are about to head to the playoffs against another top 10 team in Florida....Would a different coach have won all of these games? Maybe not all of them. I think with that schedule and tthat very talented Miramar team even the best coaches would have struggled to win all of those games.
At the end of the day Miramar could and should have handled those 4th quarters better but ultimately that schedule got the best of Matt Strout.  Miramar only struggled with elite defenses. If I am not mistaken (please confirm slick) Strout fired his own Offensive Coordinator and took the job over himself?   If that is the case, that may have been what started the downward spiral.  Perhaps he should have brought in a seasoned OC rather then just take over himself?  I imagine it is enough pressure to just win and hold one title (as head coach) at such a heralded program...why add pressure as the new OC ? 

I get that winning is important at Miramar and with the talent they have we should expect them to. However, this change does NOTHING to help them down the stretch this season. It could hurt team chemistry and morale and make current problems even worse. Their 3 losses are not bad ones at all...this makes no sense to me. Also let's call a spade a spade, he did not resign of his own accord he was forced out. 

Agree STARaiders2014, he likely was sat down and told his options.  Resignation looks better then getting fired.  Perhaps it would have been more fair to give him a shot at a post season run and if he does not do what he is supposed to there he is gone.

You would think Miramar made that schedule(non-conf vs both Heritage schools plus STA) maybe to help prepare them for a postseason run. Win or lose, it should make for a better team when it counts. They happened to lose 3 of those 4 games but only one of them affected them for the District. 

Also, not for nothing but while the coach took a lot of the heat for the 4th quarter meltdowns let's point out that their QB situation has been their weakness against elite teams.  In fact, their current QB Simpkins looked great against the Everglades and Plantations of the world but was a combined 24 for 65 (1 TD with several critical interceptions/fumbles)  vs Heritage-Delray, Heritage-Plantation, St. Thomas Aquinas and Flanagan. Most of the points scored against those teams were all defensive or set up by the defense anyway...

Along with their coaching situation, that is also something that needs to be addressed. As well as Miramar can run the ball, sometimes you need to be able to execute that 8 yard slant pattern on 3rd and 6....

It's deeper then the wins and losses! In house fighting a between the coaches and also the players... I guess this last loss was the tipping point

I was not aware of that. Changes a lot then....cannot have that going on. Either way I wish both parties the best and I know Miramar has enough talent coming back next year that whoever takes them over will be in good shape. 

Flanagan has never been district champs nor beat Miramar in school history so to do both in the same season is remarkable but the praises for Flanagan stops here. Nobody can sit here and tell me that blowing leads in the game midway during the 3rd going into the 4th quarter is acceptable. In my honest opinion we should be sitting here 9-0 not 6-3 fighting for our playoffs lives. Also when you have players on the sideline fighting each other because I've witnessed that twice and coaches talking to the players any kind of way is unacceptable, not to mention all the trash talking that goes on across the internet which is not a good way to be teaching these young men. I'll say this I am completely shocked for this to be happening and I get that a lot of people are complaining saying why couldn't this occur after the playoffs well.... if coach Strout is stinking up the joint now what make you think he won't continue. On a continued note Miramar doesn't have a good alumni and blacks didn't start being the majority until 1994 or so going down so this sudden change had to come from the parents and the community. I don't know if you guys know but Mayor Mosley of Miramar and Miramar's principal comes to all the game well the big ones. Now on to coach Cogdell. See when he was at Miramar we went 65-13 and not once did we blow a 16 point lead, 5 point lead and a 15 point lead. Now I'll admit some games like the playoff ones should have been won Palm Beach Gardens and Northeast but overall we didn't have all this commotion and trust me when I say this which is I'm not mad at Cogdell for leaving. Cogdell received a once in a lifetime opportunity that a lot of high schools coaches want and will never receive playing at college level and for the school they played for. Anyways I believe I've expressed myself clearly and concise on why coach Strout was abruptly fired now let's finish with the remarks and criticism because I know it's coming lol.......

Good call 09mrslick and Zoe Boy, there was a lot more to the Miramar situation then stats, wins and losses....

According to the Sun Sentinel rumors are stating that the former Miramar Coach and the Norland High School AD are reporting that star Wide Receiver and West Virginia commit Jovon Durante transferred from Norland High School with a 1.67 GPA and chose not to attend summer school.  Durante, allegedly then transferred to Miramar where his GPA was "fixed' to a 2.27 which made him eligible to compete this season for Miramar.  Again, these are just allegations that the Sun Sentinel is reporting.  If this is true, my only question for the Miramar coach is why are you concerned about Durante's GPA now?

Details will trickle in about this one...

Damn, it won't let you read it unless you have a digital subscription.  I read the article through my phone and it loaded ok....  I would say if this is factual, Miramar may unfortunately have to forfeit all previous games Durante played in which would eliminate them from post-season play. If you hear the Miramar AD resigns in the next 48 hours you know the $#^+ has hit the fan...

Damn, it won't let you read it unless you have a digital subscription.  I read the article through my phone and it loaded ok....  I would say if this is factual, Miramar may unfortunately have to forfeit all previous games Durante played in which would eliminate them from post-season play. If you hear the Miramar AD resigns in the next 48 hours you know the $#^+ has hit the fan...

Damn that is not good...

I heard a rumor from a Head Coach at a prominent Broward County school that former Miramar Head Coach Matt Strout NEVER wanted to make a QB change early in the season but sort of was forced/pressured socially to do so by the school and parents.  This is just a rumor...

The QB change was made in the second half vs. Heritage Delray because Miramar struggled to score and only put up 14 pts (and went on to win 14-7) vs AMH- Delray.  It turned out Heritage Delray might be the best team in Palm Beach County, a top team in the state and actually beat AMH- Plantation....Then when the offense (and the QB throws picks and fumbles) struggles to get first downs vs the strong schools when the Patriots needed -them it was on the Head Coach and play calling - never the QB???.  Perhaps it was a little bit of both...Keep in mind Miramar held St. Thomas Aquinas to 62 total yards for the game but could not finish in the 4th quarter ...(not to take anything from STA on a great comeback with big sacks, fumble recoveries , INT and special teams play)     but whether it was an interception, bad play calling, special teams mistakes, teammates fighting with one another... that 4th quarter may have been a nutshell of Miramar's season.

I wish Miramar the best ( Their defense alone might be good enough to take them all the way)... I believe on paper they are as good or better then anyone they will face (hopefully) going forward into the post season.   Just like 09mrslick and Zoe Boy said their were a lot of things going on within the program that were not positives...I just believe that a change was needed but perhaps the former Head Coach was not the only Achilles Heal of the season.

The Sun Sentinel Newspaper reported that Miramar Head Coach A.J. Scott said Jovon Durante has been reinstated by the school to play while the matter continues to be investigated by FHSAA and Broward County Public Schools.  Durante and all Miramar players have been cleared by the school and will be dressed for their final game vs. Cooper City Saturday.  Hopefully this investigation will be completed and fully addressed one way or the other before the post season begins. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on this situation.....the new rumor is Miramar will be officially out of the Playoffs due to ineligible players participating throughout the regular season.  Friends and Family of the Miramar program will be protesting the apparent suspension outside the Broward County School headquarters early Thursday Morning.  Cypress Bay has filed legal paperwork as the third seed in the District claiming they should be allowed to face Monarch.  Monarch apparently will receive a bye in the first round and automatically advance to face the winner of Flanagan/Coral Springs. So it appears because of the situation, not only Miramar but Cypress Bay and even Flanagan are also losers here.

Overall, just a black eye for South Florida High School Football.  Fans lose a great matchup(s) as well....I have no idea what the protest for Miramar Football to play is for.  Rules and laws are in place for a reason and the allegations seem to be pretty obvious at this point.  Matt Strout surely took the ship down with his departure and it looks like this mess is going to cost the Miramar program a pretty penny.  It is possible the program could get banned from postseason play in 2015 when this is all sorted out.  The impact that would have on the Miramar program would be costly. Don't want to speculate further on this until more facts come in...

Just to update on this situation.....the new rumor is Miramar will be officially out of the Playoffs due to ineligible players participating throughout the regular season. Friends and Family of the Miramar program will be protesting the apparent suspension outside the Broward County School headquarters early Thursday Morning. Cypress Bay has filed legal paperwork as the third seed in the District claiming they should be allowed to face Monarch. Monarch apparently will receive a bye in the first round and automatically advance to face the winner of Flanagan/Coral Springs. So it appears because of the situation, not only Miramar but Cypress Bay and even Flanagan are also losers here.

Overall, just a black eye for South Florida High School Football. Fans lose a great matchup(s) as well....I have no idea what the protest for Miramar Football to play is for. Rules and laws are in place for a reason and the allegations seem to be pretty obvious at this point. Matt Strout surely took the ship down with his departure and it looks like this mess is going to cost the Miramar program a pretty penny. It is possible the program could get banned from postseason play in 2015 when this is all sorted out. The impact that would have on the Miramar program would be costly. Don't want to speculate further on this until more facts come in...

Mass exodus transfer from miramar... Expect Carol City to get most of those kids... Coach Strout career is over coaching down here in south fla... Yes it's a black eye...

Mass exodus transfer from miramar... Expect Carol City to get most of those kids... Coach Strout career is over coaching down here in south fla... Yes it's a black eye...

Sucks for Miramar such a proud program with great athletes and now this. I am following JT Wilcox's twitter and man it seems like they are just angry because the school board is giving them no answers. Sadly, the kids and even other school are getting punished for the mistakes of adults. 

I do agree with the mass exodus of players from Miramar. Carol City will be enjoying some nice new players next season if they are banned from the 2015 playoffs as well. 

Sucks for Miramar such a proud program with great athletes and now this. I am following JT Wilcox's twitter and man it seems like they are just angry because the school board is giving them no answers. Sadly, the kids and even other school are getting punished for the mistakes of adults.

I do agree with the mass exodus of players from Miramar. Carol City will be enjoying some nice new players next season if they are banned from the 2015 playoffs as well.

Do you think coach strout ever get another coaching gig in dade or broward county?

While heading into work this morning around 8am in downtown Fort Lauderdale I did indeed see the protest outside the Broward School Board building.  Also, on the way out around 11 AM their was a larger crowd...There were news trucks, parents, Miramar supporters and Miramar school board members....the most disturbing part was about 35 football players obviously skipped school today.  I understand the passion and how it effects the kids but when the nature of the situation is of low GPA(s) and academic in nature... perhaps it is not the best idea to be skipping school to attend this protest.  This kind of stuff is usually handled behind closed doors and board members.  Sure, the parents and the community should be heard 100% but the student athletes skipping school???  What message is that sending to the student athletes (and at this point the media) about the priorities of Miramar High School? Unfortunately, it just backs up the previous alleged rumors of the Miramar program. 

Now, the rumors are spreading to possibly up to more then 5 players and the grade/transfer scenarios may have been going on for a few years and also CASH benefits (paid to play).  Again, just rumors and again only the Miramar players are stating they are not playing in the post season and there is no official ruling as of yet - according to reports....Students are supposedly tweeting 2 year ban coming...

I agree Zoe Boy/STARaiders, Miramar might be in for a few rough years...- mass exodus on the way.  Why Carol City though?   I think they also spread out to other stronger programs -Norland - could be coming up next year, Flanagan -well coached and maybe Hallandale-solid program?

Matt Strout surely wanted to bring the ship down with him and he likely will never be able to get another Coaching job in South Florida.....The Eric Mangini of SFL HS Football now...Very unfortunate situation for the student athletes that were not involved with this mess....

So if all this is official, and Miramar is out ...shouldn't Cypress Bay get in now to face Monarch?  Supposedly the rules state theses scenarios are handled with a bye/forfeit...which is not really fair to Coral Springs or Flanagan who have to earn the win to advance and had nothing to do with this.

Cypress Bay more than likely cannot play Monarch because it is already so late in the week neither team would have enough time to truly prepare. Even if the game is played on a Saturday. I agree though the players while I love it that they are fighting to keep their season alive, should not be putting it before school.

Your education is far more important than football. Don't believe it? Ask any of those washed up NFL players who are going bankrupt because they cannot get a job.