Miami Columbus quietly slips into 8A Round 3

BrowardHandicapper

Thursday evening Miami Columbus advanced to the third round of postseason play with a 22-0 victory over a pretty good Coral Gables team.  With that victory Columbus has not surrendered a postseason point, and only allowed 9 points in their last 5 games.  The only loss for the Explorers this season was @ Miami Central but top to bottom they have played a harder schedule then any 8A Broward or Palm Beach team and are sitting on a 11-1 record going into round 3 next week.  With all the hype on the 8A Broward schools this year, let's not forget last years 8A State Champion came out of Dade County.  South Dade made a strong run and shocked many....

Columbus (enrollment 1350)  await the winner of the Belen Jesuit Prep (enrollment 1480) and Miami Killian matchup.  Columbus and Belen Jesuit are the only two private schools in Florida that currently compete at the 8A level.  Columbus is more known for the their baseball but had a few strong football  teams in the early 80s (Alonzo Highsmith) and early 90s (Brian Griese).  Belen Jesuit is more known for Soccer, Tennis and Cross Country but seem to be making lots of progress with football this year....

Columbus (enrollment 1350)  await the winner of the Belen Jesuit Prep (enrollment 1480) and Miami Killian matchup.  Columbus and Belen Jesuit are the only two private schools in Florida that currently compete at the 8A level.  Columbus is more known for the their baseball but had a few strong football  teams in the early 80s (Alonzo Highsmith) and early 90s (Brian Griese).  Belen Jesuit is more known for Soccer, Tennis and Cross Country but seem to be making lots of progress with football this year....

Belen and Columbus I think is a rivalry too if I am not mistaken. Although Columbus dominates it, it is a rivalry 

You may not know this HSdad but this is a reclassification year so things are about to get shaken up again. Don't know who's going where and for what motivation as that's always a debated topic. If you're an STA guy then maybe you're bored but 7A is no cake walk. At least the deeper into the playoffs you go. 

You may not know this HSdad but this is a reclassification year so things are about to get shaken up again. Don't know who's going where and for what motivation as that's always a debated topic. If you're an STA guy then maybe you're bored but 7A is no cake walk. At least the deeper into the playoffs you go. 

It is certainly a lot deeper in othe parts of the state, but where Aquinas has their first three games it is not very deep. Aquinas beat Plantation 38-6 but really had no problem with them.

They get Royal Palm Beach now then should they win that they get East Lake who is VERY VERY good. 

STARaider how good is this year's STA team? I am from Tampa but have been living in Jacksonville. East Lake is a solid, solid ball club with a lot of the vital pieces you need to make deep runs in the playoffs. They are big up front and they have some really good skill players and a good D. Just a sound football program. I look for the EL/STA matchup to happen so it will be good.

Up north we got Tampa Bay Tech and I have a good buddy who coaches there. They are a good team but Kissimmee Osceola is usually pretty good. That will be interesting as well. 

STARaider how good is this year's STA team? I am from Tampa but have been living in Jacksonville. East Lake is a solid, solid ball club with a lot of the vital pieces you need to make deep runs in the playoffs. They are big up front and they have some really good skill players and a good D. Just a sound football program. I look for the EL/STA matchup to happen so it will be good.

Up north we got Tampa Bay Tech and I have a good buddy who coaches there. They are a good team but Kissimmee Osceola is usually pretty good. That will be interesting as well. 

If STA did not lose to DBP earlier in the season they would be in the hunt for the "National Title". .Aquinas has some amazing play makers and to me pretty good coaching as well.

I would take the Raiders vs East Lake and that is no disrespect to East Lake they are good. Aquinas though has several players who have played in these kinds of big games and players that know what it takes to win.

The coaching staff is also used to this having some of the guys dating back to the early days with George Smith. I think Aquinas will take 7A this season, but you never know. The games are played for a reason.