Metro vs Non Metro

badbird

1 hour ago, SFLfootball said:

With what was shared around Broward to get feedback from ADs, Pahokee was with suburban. Had them placed in Suburban 1A region 4 with Hawthorne, Bronson, Trenton, Fort Meade, Wildwood, Chiefland, PK Yonge , Newberry, Crescent City, Williston. 

What about madison or blountstown,  baker other regions please 

I have been promoting the idea on this and the Old FlaVarsity board for years that promotion/relegation is the best solution for solving competitive imbalance in ALL sports.

I would start with school size. After 2 years. I move the top/bottom 10-15 schools in a classification over a 4 year period. And then do it every year after that. Let good teams move up and bad teams move down.

Kids get to play equal level programs. 

19 minutes ago, SFLfootball said:

It isn’t definite what it would be if passed, but Madison was suburban 1A region 3, Baker 1A region 1, Blountstown 1A region 2. It won’t let me load the pictures someone sent me. 

Yeah I saw on a website let's go the 5th ring is coming.  But trinity christian back in 1A that's crazy lucky others won't face them. I wish they did tho,  blountstown vs trinity christian would be over at half time. 

It seems like the competitive imbalance is mostly private vs public schools.  If anything, most metro schools would get hurt by this new classification since the talent pool is so divided with nearby schools and all the private schools tend to be in metro areas.  The private schools have the most money and best facilities.  I cant blame a kid for going there but come on, it ain't fair for them to go against a school that has to have a 170 lb freshman defensive tackle, for example.  They never have to rebuild, only reload.  Put those teams in their own league and let them beat up on each other. 

I much prefer the current classifications vs this proposal which will only make it worse for the have nots.  Most of the people in this forum follow a traditional power and dont really have the perspective of what it's like to be a have not.  You at least have to have hope that once every 3 to 4 years, with a good senior class you've developed for the past couple of years, you can have a winning season and maybe make the playoffs.  Due to demographics of the neighborhood, thats the pinnacle of success in-between years of beatings as your rebuild.   If you make things worse for them where there is no hope, a lot of schools wont even field a team due to low participation.  

43 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

It seems like the competitive imbalance is mostly private vs public schools.  If anything, most metro schools would get hurt by this new classification since the talent pool is so divided with nearby schools and all the private schools tend to be in metro areas.  The private schools have the most money and best facilities.  I cant blame a kid for going there but come on, it ain't fair for them to go against a school that has to have a 170 lb freshman defensive tackle, for example.  They never have to rebuild, only reload.  Put those teams in their own league and let them beat up on each other. 

I much prefer the current classifications vs this proposal which will only make it worse for the have nots.  Most of the people in this forum follow a traditional power and dont really have the perspective of what it's like to be a have not.  You at least have to have hope that once every 3 to 4 years, with a good senior class you've developed for the past couple of years, you can have a winning season and maybe make the playoffs.  Due to demographics of the neighborhood, thats the pinnacle of success in-between years of beatings as your rebuild.   If you make things worse for them where there is no hope, a lot of schools wont even field a team due to low participation.  

I honestly think that, once this is said and done, you may have a lot more teams opting to go Independent or try to form another league, sort of like the talk that came out of South Florida schools during the COVID craziness of 2020. I wouldn't blame a lot of places. I've seen a few different, yet similar, projections. In my area, why would a school like East River want to be in a District with Wekiva, Edgewater AND Jones? Or why would the two new programs in Orlando want to be with Bishop Moore, Lake Highland Prep and Windermere Prep? When will two new programs be able to compete with three private schools? There's obviously more examples in the Suburban Plan too. One projection I saw had George Jenkins in Polk County with Lakeland, Lake Gibson, Kathleen and Bartow. 

I would not be surprised to see a large group of teams just opt to do their own thing. 

1 hour ago, Coach said:

I honestly think that, once this is said and done, you may have a lot more teams opting to go Independent or try to form another league, sort of like the talk that came out of South Florida schools during the COVID craziness of 2020. I wouldn't blame a lot of places. I've seen a few different, yet similar, projections. In my area, why would a school like East River want to be in a District with Wekiva, Edgewater AND Jones? Or why would the two new programs in Orlando want to be with Bishop Moore, Lake Highland Prep and Windermere Prep? When will two new programs be able to compete with three private schools? There's obviously more examples in the Suburban Plan too. One projection I saw had George Jenkins in Polk County with Lakeland, Lake Gibson, Kathleen and Bartow. 

I would not be surprised to see a large group of teams just opt to do their own thing. 

was thinking about the orange county schools that the plan that doesnt help those teams that wouldnt win regardless, colonial, freedom, cypress creek, east river, university, oak ridge.  metro plan doesnt change much for them.  they should all go independent and form own league. throw in lake howell, winter springs, poinciana, liberty, thats a 9 game, 10 team league of almost the same kids yearly....at least they would all be competitive with each other.  

add in some others, hagerty, gateway, toho, st cloud, harmony, space coast, titusville, celebration, south lake, east ridge, they could all battle it out for bragging routes for some made up cup trophy playoffs.  

bet all those coaches would do it too....

Teams will leave the FHSAA in droves for Football in both metro and suburban because the haves will be more concentrated into same districts making it nearly impossible for have nots to get through that tough a schedule . The George Jenkins example  listed above proves that. It seems like other better alternatives are being ignored for this joke plan because it has been around for a whole 2 years. pathetic.

Madison created the charter school to get under the 600 cap, That would be like Lake City Columbia creating a charter school to send all their advance courses to the charter school and then have the kids who want to play sports come back to the Columbia High School who would be the only school who offered sports in the county and not have to count the kids at the charter school for their enrollment. Why do you have to count the enrollment of private schools who offer no sports to the enrollment of the school the kid would like to participate at but not the same if a kid comes from a charter school can't see were that is fair .  I for one one don't care if we have open enrollment like we have now because you can't tell a parent who wants more for their kid, even if it's about sports or academics that they cant drive them across town when a coach who puts nothing into his program or a principal doesn't care about the violence or drugs too bad your kid is locked in to this school that's not the American way to me.But saying all this I'm not against Madison or the other schools who put a lot of work into being great, actually have lot of respect, I just think we should  start out with classes and then move the teams up as you keep winning and if you lose move back down to the original class based on your enrollment and start the process over. I would  use the 20 percent up or down rule. As far as the Metro/Suburban we have been 1A but if they go to Districts i could see us go Independent or move up to 2A which would be mostly Private schools but would be a more competitive class than what is 1A Now or in the future. My question to some posters what happens if a bunch of schools go Independent and how many teams does it take for the FHSAA to have a state series ? 

41 minutes ago, Tigerskin said:

Madison created the charter school to get under the 600 cap, That would be like Lake City Columbia creating a charter school to send all their advance courses to the charter school and then have the kids who want to play sports come back to the Columbia High School who would be the only school who offered sports in the county and not have to count the kids at the charter school for their enrollment. Why do you have to count the enrollment of private schools who offer no sports to the enrollment of the school the kid would like to participate at but not the same if a kid comes from a charter school can't see were that is fair .  I for one one don't care if we have open enrollment like we have now because you can't tell a parent who wants more for their kid, even if it's about sports or academics that they cant drive them across town when a coach who puts nothing into his program or a principal doesn't care about the violence or drugs too bad your kid is locked in to this school that's not the American way to me.But saying all this I'm not against Madison or the other schools who put a lot of work into being great, actually have lot of respect, I just think we should  start out with classes and then move the teams up as you keep winning and if you lose move back down to the original class based on your enrollment and start the process over. I would  use the 20 percent up or down rule. As far as the Metro/Suburban we have been 1A but if they go to Districts i could see us go Independent or move up to 2A which would be mostly Private schools but would be a more competitive class than what is 1A Now or in the future. My question to some posters what happens if a bunch of schools go Independent and how many teams does it take for the FHSAA to have a state series ? 

Columbia could recruit players. Madison still handing them a big L

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

FYI I talked to a head coach who said the metro-rural redistricting failed to pass vote so its a no-go for the next season.  He did tell me some of the new districts that wouldve formed and holy cow this thing wouldve been a shit show.  Glad it failed.

So 2022 will be like 2021 ? Nice madison 5th ring time

10 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I thought Dillard had one of the biggest high school campus in the nation but whewww these Texas schools are massive in enrollment 

6A allen Texas has 7,000 kids what the hell & other schools have 5,000 where as our 8A schools are 2,500 enrollment wow

Means nothing madison county still wins,  nobody does it better than madison at beating bigger schools.  

13 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

FYI I talked to a head coach who said the metro-rural redistricting failed to pass vote so its a no-go for the next season.  He did tell me some of the new districts that wouldve formed and holy cow this thing wouldve been a shit show.  Glad it failed.

I was under the impression that the vote will happen at the board meeting at the end of the month. It has passed both committees it has been through so far and hasn’t heard of another vote as of yet. 

9 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I thought Dillard had one of the biggest high school campus in the nation but whewww these Texas schools are massive in enrollment 

6A allen Texas has 7,000 kids what the hell & other schools have 5,000 where as our 8A schools are 2,500 enrollment wow

Texas has larger metro populations in dense concentrations than Florida does. You might think it’s the other way around but Texas being larger than Florida naturally has a higher population and as such cannot thrive in being comprised of 60-70% rural land. Hope that makes sense.

9 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

allen is a 1 horse town.  the school board there did not want to split up a tight knit community.  so they expanded the school, upwards and outwards.

texas is different in that each school district has is a community.  like dillard and the feeder schools would be its own independent school district.  pay coaches what you want, do what you want to the school, etc.  

4 hours ago, Coach said:

I was under the impression that the vote will happen at the board meeting at the end of the month. It has passed both committees it has been through so far and hasn’t heard of another vote as of yet. 

Hmm.  I asked this question directly and was told it failed.  I only talked to a high school coach and not anybody at FHSAA so its possible I'm wrong.

About 33 Public high schools in Broward, lowest population 1200. Most around 2500 kids. Western has 4,000 and Cypress Bay 5,000. That’s why Texas schools are so large. Imagine if you just cut a few schools from the county how large they would be.  That isn’t even counting small charters or private schools that make all the 2A to 4A schools in Broward.