Cambridge Christian and prayer issue

Joshua Wilson

Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Cambridge Christian is tackling the issue still of being denied the right to prayer before the Class 2A State Championship game in December.

As such now the Liberty Institute has gotten involved and is sending a letter to the FHSAA offices demanding the association apologize for denying the prayer request.

STORY LINK: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/hometeam/cambridge-christian-tackles-right-to-pray-before-games/2262811

I am finding this interesting. Not against prayer and not against use of the loudspeaker, but something also doesn't seem right either about the entire story on this issue.

I was in the stands when their pastor started to pray with the crowd just before kickoff and the music was so loud they had a hard time but they did get it done, At the VERY LEAST the FHSAA could do is to show some respect and give a couple minuets of silence to allow for prayer. 

I am a christain i think other christains sould be allowed to pray for the safty and health of all the players in the game.  

I get you on that Tiger. Not saying that is wrong, but my feeling is that the blame is being placed on the FHSAA totally when there are other parties involved including the operator of the Citrus Bowl. The fact yes the facility is being use by the FHSAA, but not at sole control by the FHSAA. This is where I am feeling not everything is on point totally here and where the FHSAA was put between a rock and a hard place on a decision that really required several yeses from different people and not just one person. That is what I am thinking, but I could be wrong.

I understand not praying over the loud speaker (Cambridge or University) as they are not the "hosts" of the game. The FHSAA and the City of Orlando are.

But if the team prayed after the game, before the game, or if a local pastor led the fans in prayer before/during/after the game, I don't see the issue. If the music was loud, oh well. I am curious what the FHSAA did to stop the prayer. 

Also expect some bill to be proposed in the state legislature because of this.

I understand not praying over the loud speaker (Cambridge or University) as they are not the "hosts" of the game. The FHSAA and the City of Orlando are.

But if the team prayed after the game, before the game, or if a local pastor led the fans in prayer before/during/after the game, I don't see the issue. If the music was loud, oh well. I am curious what the FHSAA did to stop the prayer. 

Also expect some bill to be proposed in the state legislature because of this.

That is why the FHSAA said no because they would have had to get permission from everyone involved as hosts (FHSAA, City of Orlando, Central Florida Sports Commission) and to get all the proper permission in 48 hours is not likely going to happen. I have seen numerous teams pray before/after these games without any issue or the FHSAA saying no to it. The issue is over the PA system and that is where I feel the whole story is not being told in truth to be honest.

Well i just saw a segment about this on Fox and Friends this morning, So i expect things to get heated up real fast and maybe on a National Level. There are a lot of upset folks in this world that feel like Christians are getting run over because of political correctness, I truly believe that a strong Christian movement is about to start from the White House on down.   

This whole thing is being blown way out of proportion, they were allowed to pray they just didn't get their way, you're not allowed to do it over the PA system.

Corey, I agree it has been...and hence why I said I feel the whole story was not being told in truth here about the real reasons why the FHSAA said no.

I would've prayed before the game anyways, what's the FHSAA gonna do fine them? OH NO A FINE!!!! Total BS. Let the kids pray. 

The FHSAA did and didn't have any issue. The whole issue was allowing them to use the loudspeaker and denying them the use of that. Otherwise prayer isn't the issue here. Seen many teams pray before/after a game at the state finals and not a single issue to be found with that from the FHSAA.

The FHSAA did and didn't have any issue. The whole issue was allowing them to use the loudspeaker and denying them the use of that. Otherwise prayer isn't the issue here. Seen many teams pray before/after a game at the state finals and not a single issue to be found with that from the FHSAA.

Oh I agree with that, no it shouldn't be over the loud speaker since they are not the host team.