2016 Statewide Transfers - Public or Private

BrowardHandicapper

Look like Deerfield Beach gone be the 8A favorite of the south.

Deerfield has some big shoes to fill.  Getting there but they still have to replace:

Defense D1 Players:

James Pierre - 3* DB to UNC

Aaron Robinson- 4 *  ATH/DB  to Alabama

Simeon Brown - 2*  S to Albany

Other Key Losses - DE Jimmy Harper, DB Kimar Martin, DB Melvin Delrico  - Juco, D2 or D3 players

Offense D1 Players:

Riley Ridley - 4* WR to Georgia

Roodney Leon - 2*  OL to Temple

Montel Jordan -  2* OL to Akron

Other key losses: QB  Teddrick Moffett, RB Kobe Farrish , WR RJ Gervin, OL/LB/P Alfred Smith - Juco, D2 or D3 players

Special Teams Division 1:

Jefferson Sousa K/P - to Alcorn State  - D1 Kickers are very hard to find at Public schools these days.

About 12 other Seniors were also lost in 2016 to Deerfield.

Providing the Deerfield Beach transfer from Calvary Christian QB Nick Holm has a strong season, and the Bucs can replace /beef up the lost 2015 OL.....I think the Deerfield Beach Offense will be in good shape (at least close to last year and we are only in spring)

Defensively speaking Deerfield Beach should be fine with the DL/LBs but they took a massive hit in the secondary in the 2016 class.

As of late April I see District 8A-11 possibly looking like this:

Deerfield Beach

Piper

Stoneman Douglas

Monarch

Taravella

Coral Springs

How many games do you all see Booker T. Washington winning this upcoming season.

I'd have to see their schedule, but they have to be the favorites to repeat. From what I'm hearing instead of losing transfers, they're getting some in since Ice is back in the program. 

Is this normal ? It just seams to me that their are alot more transfers or kids moving to other schools this year than ever before. 

Well, I don't know about the history of past members of flhsfootball.com posting transfers but I think several of us down here are listing each and every transfer that we hear of.  Not sure if we had a string set up like this in the past.  I think there are also lots of transfers going on throughout the state but it is hard enough to keep up with Palm Beach, Broward and Dade County.  That said, it may seem astronomical and abnormal for South Florida since that is pretty much all that is are being mentioned.  No one on here really talks about the Orlando, Tampa, or Jacksonville area but I am 100% sure it is  happening there as well. I am probably giving SFL a bad image now that you mention it, but I am just stating mostly facts and public information.  I'll be the first to admit that there are more transfers in SFL than the rest of the state but the "recruiting " aspect that I sometimes read people exaggerating is not all what people think it is.  If teams were being stacked down here you would not have Districts that have 3-4 teams that can beat each other on a given night.  You would not have 10 top teams overall that can beat each other on a given night.

Everything will change next year but I have been researching the transfer scenario and the things that people forget about South Florida High Schools are :

1. Many kids are zoned for 2,3 even 4 schools sometimes.  This was originally done to prevent overcrowding in schools but the school districts still ran out of space.  Broward and Dade public schools seem to be like  90% 5A - 8A. Think about this .Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach schools districts are the 4th,6th, and 12th largest school districtsnationally -and they all are bordering each other.  Many parents are waiting on the moment there child has a better educational opportunity at a private school and some parents prefer to stick to their roots and will keep their kid in an environment similar to their upbringing.  

Only in LA County alone is there such a case of comparable concentrated regions of populated school districts :

https://k12.niche.com/rankings/public-school-districts/largest-enrollment/

2. Due to the high cost of living in SFL (more so than the rest of the state) most families and athletes in public schools are living in apartments with 7 month or 1 year leases.  Factor that with the up and down economy, broken families and you find most renters rarely stay in the same place for more than 2-3 years.  These are factors that can cause families to relocate.

3. 7 v 7s have created an open season statewide.  Private 7 v 7 teams and leagues are a very grey area and there are limitations on what the FHSAA can do about it.  Kids are going to build natural bonds and friendships with fellow athletes.  Is it still recruiting if a WR has great chemistry with a random QB in 7v7s, and no coach or player ever attempted to lure the WR to their team but the WR individually seeks to play with that QB or team over the summer (while also abiding by the County/FHSAA rules)?

4. Kids generally want to play for winners regardless of the area.  If I lived in a rural area around Gilchrist County and my kids were big on football, I admit I would naturally (by the rules of course ;-)   )  try to find a way to get my child into Trenton HS.

I understand that factors 1,2,3 happen everywhere but they are surely relevant as to why we are currently seeing so many transfers in SFL versus the rest of the state.

BrowardHandicapper – great points.

It’s also about expectations, oftentimes unrealistic.

I’m an old man now,  I’ve seen a whole lot of hs ball and players in a number of states,  and saved up my pennies so here’s my 2 cents on a related piece to this.

I can only go with what I’ve seen with my eyes and overheard recently with my ears.  But first,  let’s remember we’re dealing with underclassmen teenage kids and their expectedly questionable judgment,  added to that is a parent or parents who think their son deserves it all right now,  then throw in a scoop of know-it-all “advice†from their friends …. AKA “transfer there and you’ll start right awayâ€.   

There’s a trend for quality underclassmen players these day to truly believe they are the one and only best,  should be starters right away,  and should always get the ball or make the play.

When that don’t happen immediately,  many more, not all,  start looking elsewhere … and oftentimes think or assume they’ll start for the next school’s team so they transfer.  That phenomena is happening much more these days.  And some parents support it with a dream of a full ride to Div I and a first round nfl draft pick.  That fixated powerful dream’s mostly bout big $,  it’s addictive and contagious.

Oftentimes ya get a slight peek at that sorta thinking when quality players surprisingly throw tantrums on the field,  play dirty,  or get unsportsmanlike calls … happening much more often these days.

Now the high schools they want to transfer to usually have great programs to begin with, stacked already with talent.  Somethins gotta give.  So they keep looking for another pasture more green than the one they’re in … again to be disappointed if things don’t quite work out … the results of “ready-FIRE-aim†decision-making.

It’s sad if academics,  gaining knowledge or job skills,  team/school loyalty,  and preparing themselves for life after football are not the primary reason for the transfer.  Teenage decisions turning into poor consequences as an adult are only a torn ligament away.

It’s not all the good players thinking that,  and there’s transfers for entirely good reasons or other legit factors as BrowardHandicapper points out.

But it happens so much more now,  with some kids even playing for 3 schools in 4 years.

The recent FHSAA rule that permits transfers to play immediately also adds fuel to the trend, legitimizing and further kick-starting the transfer frenzy which I think will grow even more.

Patience to “bloom where yer planted†or finished what ya started happens less often these days.  Like the selfies show, it’s all about “me†…. and right now.    Sometimes coaches, team goals, and game strategies don’t match what kids expect.

BrowardHandicapper – great points.

It’s also about expectations, oftentimes unrealistic.

I’m an old man now,  I’ve seen a whole lot of hs ball and players in a number of states,  and saved up my pennies so here’s my 2 cents on a related piece to this.

I can only go with what I’ve seen with my eyes and overheard recently with my ears.  But first,  let’s remember we’re dealing with underclassmen teenage kids and their expectedly questionable judgment,  added to that is a parent or parents who think their son deserves it all right now,  then throw in a scoop of know-it-all “advice†from their friends …. AKA “transfer there and you’ll start right awayâ€.   

There’s a trend for quality underclassmen players these day to truly believe they are the one and only best,  should be starters right away,  and should always get the ball or make the play.

When that don’t happen immediately,  many more, not all,  start looking elsewhere … and oftentimes think or assume they’ll start for the next school’s team so they transfer.  That phenomena is happening much more these days.  And some parents support it with a dream of a full ride to Div I and a first round nfl draft pick.  That fixated powerful dream’s mostly bout big $,  it’s addictive and contagious.

Oftentimes ya get a slight peek at that sorta thinking when quality players surprisingly throw tantrums on the field,  play dirty,  or get unsportsmanlike calls … happening much more often these days.

Now the high schools they want to transfer to usually have great programs to begin with, stacked already with talent.  Somethins gotta give.  So they keep looking for another pasture more green than the one they’re in … again to be disappointed if things don’t quite work out … the results of “ready-FIRE-aim†decision-making.

It’s sad if academics,  gaining knowledge or job skills,  team/school loyalty,  and preparing themselves for life after football are not the primary reason for the transfer.  Teenage decisions turning into poor consequences as an adult are only a torn ligament away.

It’s not all the good players thinking that,  and there’s transfers for entirely good reasons or other legit factors as BrowardHandicapper points out.

But it happens so much more now,  with some kids even playing for 3 schools in 4 years.

The recent FHSAA rule that permits transfers to play immediately also adds fuel to the trend, legitimizing and further kick-starting the transfer frenzy which I think will grow even more.

Patience to “bloom where yer planted†or finished what ya started happens less often these days.  Like the selfies show, it’s all about “me†…. and right now.    Sometimes coaches, team goals, and game strategies don’t match what kids expect.

Good insight mbhs69. Many good points....Another thing that may cause kids to transfer more often is there are more coaches in SFL getting fired, resigning etc.. these days than ever.  We have discussed that topic on here in other strings but the more coaches that leave will lead to more transfers as well.

Totally agree 100%.  We are living in microwave society.  I want everything right NOW.  This phenomenon is now in the youth league and is carrying on to high schools.  It appears college recruiters are offering kids younger and younger nowadays.  If you have the prototype in the 9th or 10th grade (6ft or over 200lbs or a sub 4.5- 40) along with any type of varsity film they will offer you.  Most of the film doesn't even wow you.  I guess they look at the fact they doing it on at the varsity level at a young age they will only get better.  Where in fact most should be in the 11th grade anyway (but that's another discussion).  So knowing this as a parent nowadays would you want your child to go to the neighborhood school in play JV for two years with no film or transfer him to the school where he will play early on varsity possibly getting that college offer.  Then there is also the transfer to the powerhouse where all of the scouts are coming to, the scouts can't get everybody so they looks towards the bench.  The better the program the better the bench.  St Thomas Aquinas has kids getting offers who are not even starters or have very little film.  Again, so with knowing all of this as a parent do you put your child in the best position to get a free college education or try to teach him the value of hard work and coming up through the ranks when that is not the world we live in anymore.

Totally agree 100%.  We are living in microwave society.  I want everything right NOW.  This phenomenon is now in the youth league and is carrying on to high schools.  It appears college recruiters are offering kids younger and younger nowadays.  If you have the prototype in the 9th or 10th grade (6ft or over 200lbs or a sub 4.5- 40) along with any type of varsity film they will offer you.  Most of the film doesn't even wow you.  I guess they look at the fact they doing it on at the varsity level at a young age they will only get better.  Where in fact most should be in the 11th grade anyway (but that's another discussion).  So knowing this as a parent nowadays would you want your child to go to the neighborhood school in play JV for two years with no film or transfer him to the school where he will play early on varsity possibly getting that college offer.  Then there is also the transfer to the powerhouse where all of the scouts are coming to, the scouts can't get everybody so they looks towards the bench.  The better the program the better the bench.  St Thomas Aquinas has kids getting offers who are not even starters or have very little film.  Again, so with knowing all of this as a parent do you put your child in the best position to get a free college education or try to teach him the value of hard work and coming up through the ranks when that is not the world we live in anymore.

To answer your question about coming up through the ranks, I think that depends on the kid and their parents, Most family's in our area could not afford to spend 25K a year on a private high school education. On the flip side of that coin i have seen a few kids over the years move out of a bad situation at one school and excel at another, Sometimes all you need is clean slate and fresh start. I am not against any kid transferring schools for any reason as long as recruiting was not involved. Sometime other schools see a rival school get 3 or 4 kids and they automatically say that the kids where recruited.      

I'm in the South Florida Area...and can't call nobody pockets but I highly doubt the family's down here can afford to spend 25K a year on a private school education as well.  It's all about positioning.  It should be about putting your kid in the best possible position to play and get an education with the hopes of him moving on to play at the next level and most importantly getting a degree.  If a coach is building a program, and not a team...transfers don't mean anything just creates opportunity for someone to step up or someone else to transfer in..lol  #next man up

I agree Harry Frank, but take a look at Mater Academy. An A school academically and is building a really strong athletic program. Baseball team won states in 2014, went to Final 4 last year. The football program went to the Regional Final in 7A last year. The basketball team was ranked #1 in the state late in their season. Better yet, the cost to attend is FREE. Mater is like a free Priavate school.

I agree Harry Frank, but take a look at Mater Academy. An A school academically and is building a really strong athletic program. Baseball team won states in 2014, went to Final 4 last year. The football program went to the Regional Final in 7A last year. The basketball team was ranked #1 in the state late in their season. Better yet, the cost to attend is FREE. Mater is like a free Priavate school.

It's a charter school like when I use to coach at somerset .... Charter schools don't charge...

I am aware that it is a Charter School Zoe. It's an A Charter School that is having success both academically and athletically. Like a private school, but FREE to attend.

Harry stated " it should be about putting your kids in the best possible position to play and get an education "

Mater provides both.

• 4 weeks later...

Well just when it was starting to look like Cardinal Gibbons was getting their Moxie back and appeared to have a good shot at battling for the #2 spot in District 5A-16 this happens:

4* 2017 Safety Daniel Wright has transferred to STA.

Huge blow to what was a very under the radar strong Cardinal Gibbons secondary.