2016 Statewide Transfers - Public or Private

BrowardHandicapper

Is it the chicken or the egg scenario? Are most of these transfers happening because the parents relocate and their son naturally follows or are they happening because the parents are following their son? I realize that some transfers are within the same town or city. But, it seems that many are transfers out of the area. If so, how do these parents reconcile having to find a new place to live (either renting ot buying) and having to find new sources of employment. I remember back a few years when a Sophomore QB moved from Tampa to Ocala to play for our team. He played one season and moved back to Tampa and the same team he had come from. In his Freshman year he had moved from a team in south Florida to that team in Tampa. Obviously his parents, who I knew, were following him around. I wonder how often this happens?

Is it the chicken or the egg scenario? Are most of these transfers happening because the parents relocate and their son naturally follows or are they happening because the parents are following their son? I realize that some transfers are within the same town or city. But, it seems that many are transfers out of the area. If so, how do these parents reconcile having to find a new place to live (either renting ot buying) and having to find new sources of employment. I remember back a few years when a Sophomore QB moved from Tampa to Ocala to play for our team. He played one season and moved back to Tampa and the same team he had come from. In his Freshman year he had moved from a team in south Florida to that team in Tampa. Obviously his parents, who I knew, were following him around. I wonder how often this happens?

This time next year it wont matter because the egg will be and forever scrambled. No move by parents will be required. you could live in tally and send your kid to orlando for school. Just sayin. I think it will be a major hit to some privates in north and central florida. I personally cant wait!!! 

I guess it would matter to the player and to the parents where he goes to school. Unless the teenage player is going to live on his own in Orlando with the parents still living in Tallahassee. Kind of a long commute unless they both are living in Orlando. Being able to attend a private school is mostly dependent on finances. You either have the finances or you don't. For this reason probably won't affect private schools measurably. But, it is going to affect public schools considerably, especially within the same town or city. It is not only going to allow football players to transfer to a school that has the best team, it will allow any student to transfer to the best academic public school. It will force underachieving schools, both in football and in academics, to start achieving or die on the vine. 

I guess it would matter to the player and to the parents where he goes to school. Unless the teenage player is going to live on his own in Orlando with the parents still living in Tallahassee. Kind of a long commute unless they both are living in Orlando. Being able to attend a private school is mostly dependent on finances. You either have the finances or you don't. For this reason probably won't affect private schools measurably. But, it is going to affect public schools considerably, especially within the same town or city. It is not only going to allow football players to transfer to a school that has the best team, it will allow any student to transfer to the best academic public school. It will force underachieving schools, both in football and in academics, to start achieving or die on the vine.

Don't some private schools offer scholarships?

Tally to Orlando was just an example. I think we all know that it is not reality. Also, private schools will be affected because in most districts a student is zoned for one school. Now if that school is academically low or whatever, the parents of a student would have to physically move to another zone in order to get that student out of that school. In contrast, parents can enroll that student into a private school without having to move. Next year they will not have to pay tuition at a private school because they can send their child to any public school they want without having to move. That would definitely affect private schools in certain areas. 

Another team that had a lot of transfers and went unnoticed is Manatee.... I see they got about 8 transfers....

Ik Columbia got a few but don't have a full count, as for Manatee I'm not surprised, a good team like them usually will get a couple of people coming in wanting to play for them, has there been any transfers in last few days of note?

Don't some private schools offer scholarships?

Most private and parochial schools do offer some limited assistance. Most of the assistance is government programs for the disadvantaged. However, it is very limited and only pays a small percentage of the full tuition. There is some school funding for academic scholarships. However, all of this funding is very limited and does not approach the amount of the tuition which at Trinity Catholic is about $12,000 per year. 

Most private and parochial schools do offer some limited assistance. Most of the assistance is government programs for the disadvantaged. However, it is very limited and only pays a small percentage of the full tuition. There is some school funding for academic scholarships. However, all of this funding is very limited and does not approach the amount of the tuition which at Trinity Catholic is about $12,000 per year.

Could a school like say Bolles or TCA offer scholarship to talented players to encourage people to go there that pay a good majority of tuition or is it a limited amount they allowed to give?

Tally to Orlando was just an example. I think we all know that it is not reality. Also, private schools will be affected because in most districts a student is zoned for one school. Now if that school is academically low or whatever, the parents of a student would have to physically move to another zone in order to get that student out of that school. In contrast, parents can enroll that student into a private school without having to move. Next year they will not have to pay tuition at a private school because they can send their child to any public school they want without having to move. That would definitely affect private schools in certain areas. 

I get where you are coming from. And yes, the parents of public school students will have the opportunity to move their kids from low performing schools to better performing schools. But, remember something. It all will depend on the ability of the better performing schools to handle the increased capacity. Most public schools are already over their capacity.  Also, what happens if none of the schools are better performing. In Marion county, where I am, all of the public high schools have a C minus rating academically. Which poison do you pick? This is primarily the reason, along with bad behavior in public schools, why parents sacrifice and send their kids to private schools. I'll have to admit it that good football programs, in a few of the private schools, is another reason why parents send their kids there. However, those kids still havr to meet the academic and ethical standards of the school and be able to pay most of the tuition if not all. I would say that most parents cannot afford private school under any circumstances regardless of whether they are free to transfer at will. I think that this ruling, by the state of Florida, will definitely help the better football programs and further deplete the capability of the lesser programs. 

Could a school like say Bolles or TCA offer scholarship to talented players to encourage people to go there that pay a good majority of tuition or is it a limited amount they allowed to give?

I am not privy to Bolles or TCA operating procedures. But, neither of them are like IMG which does give full scholarships to certain individuals. You have to remember that both Bolles and TCA are private enterprises just like any company. They have to pay their expenses and make a certain profit otherwise they go out of business like many private schools have done. So, I can't imagine these schools just giving away free stuff on a routine basis. I do know that, just like OTC, Bolles and TCA have booster clubs. They also have companies and individuals who donate their time and funds to the school. So, it is possible that there is some funding for tuition assistance. 

I am not privy to Bolles or TCA operating procedures. But, neither of them are like IMG which does give full scholarships to certain individuals. You have to remember that both Bolles and TCA are private enterprises just like any company. They have to pay their expenses and make a certain profit otherwise they go out of business like may private schools have done. So, I can't imagine these schools just giving away free stuff on a routine basis. I do know that, just like OTC, Bolles and TCA have booster clubs. They also have companies and individuals who donate their time and funds to the school. So, it is possible that there is some funding for tuition assistance.

Hmm alright

Look up what just happened at Oxbridge for the answer to your question.

I get where you are coming from. And yes, the parents of public school students will have the opportunity to move their kids from low performing schools to better performing schools. But, remember something. It all will depend on the ability of the better performing schools to handle the increased capacity. Most public schools are already over their capacity.  Also, what happens if none of the schools are better performing. In Marion county, where I am, all of the public high schools have a C minus rating academically. Which poison do you pick? This is primarily the reason, along with bad behavior in public schools, why parents sacrifice and send their kids to private schools. I'll have to admit it that good football programs, in a few of the private schools, is another reason why parents send their kids there. However, those kids still havr to meet the academic and ethical standards of the school and be able to pay most of the tuition if not all. I would say that most parents cannot afford private school under any circumstances regardless of whether they are free to transfer at will. I think that this ruling, by the state of Florida, will definitely help the better football programs and further deplete the capability of the lesser program.

You have great points but remember with this school choice bill you can cross county lines. You will not be subjected to your school district anymore. Per the FDOE, most schools are not over capacity. Also, Trinity Catholic may operate totally different than other private institutions when it comes to financial aid and other moneys allocated to students. Especially those students in financial hardship. Look at some of the rosters of other private schools football teams and you will see that some of the transfers come from public schools that are title 1. I currently teach at a title 1 public school and have had students transfer to local private schools and with financial assistance and other programs they do not pay a thing. Trinity Catholic and some other private schools seem to be more stringent than others when it comes to financial assistance to students from low income families. This bill will give parents more options for their children that will not have any financial accountability on their part. 

Keep thinking that GC gonna blow past them we are regrouping!!!

You are like a broken record, and you will be the first one under a rock by halftime if it ain't going GC's way!  You vanished really quick from this forum after that game.  

I said it before , and I'll say it again....The Glades Central schedule is not helping the Raiders any more in 2016 than 2015 to get ready for BTW.  I told you the same thing last year.  You finish up the season with Somerset Academy, University School, Seminole Ridge, Clewiston and Pahokee.  That will season you up nicely for BTW!    :)   Good luck!

You are like a broken record, and you will be the first one under a rock by halftime if it ain't going GC's way! You vanished really quick from this forum after that game.

I said it before , and I'll say it again....The Glades Central schedule is not helping the Raiders any more in 2016 than 2015 to get ready for BTW. I told you the same thing last year. You finish up the season with Somerset Academy, University School, Seminole Ridge, Clewiston and Pahokee. That will season you up nicely for BTW! :) Good luck!

He did vanish quickly from the forum... I actually thought they would of won that game cause it was at Belle Glade and BTW was young.... They had me going....

You are like a broken record, and you will be the first one under a rock by halftime if it ain't going GC's way! You vanished really quick from this forum after that game.

I said it before , and I'll say it again....The Glades Central schedule is not helping the Raiders any more in 2016 than 2015 to get ready for BTW. I told you the same thing last year. You finish up the season with Somerset Academy, University School, Seminole Ridge, Clewiston and Pahokee. That will season you up nicely for BTW! :) Good luck!

Lol you got jokes but that's ok I'm going to keep having faith every season just to say I told you so