Boys Basketball State Tournament

SportsNut25

Here is where we will talk about the state tournament (both semifinals and championship games) for boys basketball. 

Instead of just highlighting the South Florida area teams like it was done in the regional tournament thread, we'll talk about all the teams in the state tournament. 

Best of luck to all the teams in the tournament. 

STATE SEMIFINALS (all games played at The Lakeland Center; all times EST)

CLASS 8A

South Miami vs. Riverview (Sarasota) > 2/26 at 2 p.m. 

Coral Springs vs. Winter Park > 2/26 at 4 p.m.

CLASS 7A

Lincoln vs. St. Petersburg > 2/26 at 10 a.m. 

Blanche Ely vs. Melbourne > 2/26 at Noon

CLASS 6A

Largo vs. Pensacola > 2/26 at 6 p.m.
Dillard vs. Deltona > 2/26 at 8 p.m.

CLASS 5A

Bishop Kenny vs. Tampa Jesuit > 2/25 at 1 p.m. 

Poinciana vs. Zephyrhills > 2/25 at 3 p.m. 

CLASS 4A

Holy Trinity vs. Westminster Christian > 2/24 at 1 p.m.
Bolles vs. Tampa Catholic > 2/24 at 3 p.m.

CLASS 3A

First Academy (Orlando) vs. Westminster Academy > 2/23 at 6 p.m.

Archbishop Carroll vs. Windermere Prep > 2/23 at 8 p.m.

CLASS 2A

Florida A&M vs. Bradenton Christian > 2/23 at 2 p.m.

Grandview Prep vs. Orlando Christian Prep > 2/23 at 4 p.m.

CLASS 1A

Chipley vs. Hamilton County > 2/23 at 10 a.m.

Paxton vs. Bell > 2/23 at Noon

I was at the South Miami/Flanagan game last night.  In the last 2 minutes of OT in that game vs. Flanagan, South Miami had two what appeared to be serious injuries to two of their big men.  One looked like an ankle or knee injury (he went out) , the other was a clear cut separated or dislocated shooting shoulder.  With these injuries, I think South Miami will have there hands full with Sarasota Riverview.

In the other 8A matchup, I am leaning Coral Springs.  Coral Springs is a very battle tested team.  Springs went right down to the last seconds vs. what could be the 6A Champion in Dillard and what could be the 7A champion in Ely.  They also just beat the defending 8A State Champions (Wellington) on their Home Court , which was their first (and last) Home Loss this year.

In 7A,  I will have to do a little more reading up on but what stands out to me on quick glance is Ely's schedule strength vs. the other 7A teams.  Not even close.  Does not mean Ely rolls but they have surely played the hardest schedule heading in.

In 6A , same thing.  The schedule strength of Largo, Pensacola and Deltona is a joke compared to Dillard's schedule. Sorry to word it like that but it is what it is...It is so hard to evaluate a team like Pensacola who are a very impressive 31-3 on the year ,  but their two best in-state wins are vs. Choctawhatchee and Pine Forest.   Dillard could very well win both of their remaining games by double-digits....

In 5A , Bishop Kenny and Tampa Jesuit should be a great match, but I am leaning Bishop Kenny there.  Poinciana has played a very hard schedule and I like them to slip by a very solid Zephyrhills team. 

4A- has a couple of great matchups that I think will go down to the wire.  Both Holy Trinity and Westminster Christian are playing great ball of late and coming off wins vs.  what most would  say better teams (Trinity Prep and St. Andrews).  Bolles vs Tampa Catholic , I will lean Bolles and also think the winner of this game takes 4A!

3A - I think First Academy will edge Westminster Academy but it will not be a walk in the park.... Archbishop Carroll vs. Windmere Prep, not sure who wins this one but 3A is damn strong.

2A - First match I got Bradenton Christian over Florida A&M High School.  Grandview Prep should handle Orlando Christian and go on to 2A State Champions.

1A  - Chipley have one their last 6 games by double digits.  I think they get by Hamilton County in a great 1A match. Bell comes in vs. Paxton winning their last 2 games in OT.  Paxton is a strong 1A team and rolls!

STATE SEMIFINALS (all games played at The Lakeland Center; all times EST)

CLASS 8A

South Miami vs. Riverview (Sarasota) > 2/26 at 2 p.m.

Coral Springs vs. Winter Park > 2/26 at 4 p.m.

CLASS 7A

Lincoln vs. St. Petersburg > 2/26 at 10 a.m.

Blanche Ely vs. Melbourne > 2/26 at Noon

CLASS 6A

Largo vs. Pensacola > 2/26 at 6 p.m.

Dillard vs. Deltona > 2/26 at 8 p.m.

CLASS 5A

Bishop Kenny vs. Tampa Jesuit > 2/25 at 1 p.m.

Poinciana vs. Zephyrhills > 2/25 at 3 p.m.

CLASS 4A

Holy Trinity vs. Westminster Christian > 2/24 at 1 p.m.

Bolles vs. Tampa Catholic > 2/24 at 3 p.m.

CLASS 3A

First Academy (Orlando) vs. Westminster Academy > 2/23 at 6 p.m.

Archbishop Carroll vs. Windermere Prep > 2/23 at 8 p.m.

CLASS 2A

Florida A&M vs. Bradenton Christian > 2/23 at 2 p.m.

Grandview Prep vs. Orlando Christian Prep > 2/23 at 4 p.m.

CLASS 1A

Chipley vs. Hamilton County > 2/23 at 10 a.m.

Paxton vs. Bell > 2/23 at Noon

I was at the South Miami/Flanagan game last night. In the last 2 minutes of OT in that game vs. Flanagan, South Miami had two what appeared to be serious injuries to two of their big men. One looked like an ankle or knee injury (he went out) , the other was a clear cut separated or dislocated shooting shoulder. With these injuries, I think South Miami will have there hands full with Sarasota Riverview.

In the other 8A matchup, I am leaning Coral Springs. Coral Springs is a very battle tested team. Springs went right down to the last seconds vs. what could be the 6A Champion in Dillard and what could be the 7A champion in Ely. They also just beat the defending 8A State Champions (Wellington) on their Home Court , which was their first (and last) Home Loss this year.

In 7A, I will have to do a little more reading up on but what stands out to me on quick glance is Ely's schedule strength vs. the other 7A teams. Not even close. Does not mean Ely rolls but they have surely played the hardest schedule heading in.

In 6A , same thing. The schedule strength of Largo, Pensacola and Deltona is a joke compared to Dillard's schedule. Sorry to word it like that but it is what it is...It is so hard to evaluate a team like Pensacola who are a very impressive 31-3 on the year , but their two best in-state wins are vs. Choctawhatchee and Pine Forest. Dillard could very well win both of their remaining games by double-digits....

In 5A , Bishop Kenny and Tampa Jesuit should be a great match, but I am leaning Bishop Kenny there. Poinciana has played a very hard schedule and I like them to slip by a very solid Zephyrhills team.

4A- has a couple of great matchups that I think will go down to the wire. Both Holy Trinity and Westminster Christian are playing great ball of late and coming off wins vs. what most would say better teams (Trinity Prep and St. Andrews). Bolles vs Tampa Catholic , I will lean Bolles and also think the winner of this game takes 4A!

3A - I think First Academy will edge Westminster Academy but it will not be a walk in the park.... Archbishop Carroll vs. Windmere Prep, not sure who wins this one but 3A is damn strong.

2A - First match I got Bradenton Christian over Florida A&M High School. Grandview Prep should handle Orlando Christian and go on to 2A State Champions.

1A - Chipley have won their last 6 games by double digits. I think they get by Hamilton County in a great 1A match. Bell comes in vs. Paxton winning their last 2 games in OT. Paxton is a strong 1A team and rolls!

Indeed Blanche has played a few tournaments and went against out of state schools, which gives them prep to go against anything. Lincoln and Melbourne along with St. Petersburg (who played 1 tournament with out of state schools) are all playing close by schools. Although, Leon is always a tough rivalry for Lincoln no matter the sport. 

Out of it all, I think Lincoln has a decent shot at state, Blanche will come back although I could be wrong and the sleeper Melbourne proves me wrong. Or St. Petersburg beats Lincoln, but I do not know anything about St. Petersburg which is why I am quick to pick a local favorite... (well two hours away, but I'm moving to Tallahassee for school so I will try to get to some of Lincoln's games)

Dillard is the pick for 7A. While I am going against a local favorite, Pensacola just hasn't proven to me at least they are a contender. 

Indeed Blanche has played a few tournaments and went against out of state schools, which gives them prep to go against anything. Lincoln and Melbourne along with St. Petersburg (who played 1 tournament with out of state schools) are all playing close by schools. Although, Leon is always a tough rivalry for Lincoln no matter the sport. 

Out of it all, I think Lincoln has a decent shot at state, Blanche will come back although I could be wrong and the sleeper Melbourne proves me wrong. Or St. Petersburg beats Lincoln, but I do not know anything about St. Petersburg which is why I am quick to pick a local favorite... (well two hours away, but I'm moving to Tallahassee for school so I will try to get to some of Lincoln's games)

Dillard is the pick for 7A. While I am going against a local favorite, Pensacola just hasn't proven to me at least they are a contender. 

@BASEMENT you mean 6A but I agree with everything your saying the way I see it by Saturday evening your 6A champs should be the MIGHTY DILLARD PANTHERS ...(SMILES) That feels so good to say after the year in football we had. See @broward being a panther isn't so bad after all lol. in my opinion dillard is the best basketball team in SOUTH FLORIDA and if them and montervade academy played again I would like that game to go down to the wire with it going either way.

@BASEMENT you mean 6A but I agree with everything your saying the way I see it by Saturday evening your 6A champs should be the MIGHTY DILLARD PANTHERS ...(SMILES) That feels so good to say after the year in football we had. See @broward being a panther isn't so bad after all lol. in my opinion dillard is the best basketball team in SOUTH FLORIDA and if them and montervade academy played again I would like that game to go down to the wire with it going either way.

Whoops haha I meant Dillard 6A. 

FEBRUARY 23 STATE SEMIFINAL FINAL SCORES

CLASS 1A

Chipley 56, Hamilton County 53

Paxton 63, Bell 50

CLASS 2A

Bradenton Christian 61, Florida A&M 44

Grandview Prep 64, Orlando Christian Prep 52

CLASS 3A

Westminster Academy 68, First Academy (Orlando) 58 [OT]

Windermere Prep 80, Archbishop Carroll 61

Well it's over! 

56-54 Largo takes over. That's always to hardest, to lose by one possession. I can imagine that was a great game all around, but Largo wins and Pensacola goes home. Dillard remains my 6A pick for championship. 

Lincoln loses by 6 against St. Petersburg 71-65. Agh it's tough, they were my favorite after Bartow is out. To keep the picks going, I'll go for Blanche Ely to make a back to back repeat.

Feb. 27 Final Scores (Championships)

5A: Poinciana 66, Bishop Kenny 42

6A: Dillard 66, Largo 55

7A: Blanche Ely 84, St. Petersburg 70

8A: Coral Springs 61, Riverview (Sarasota) 57

Big day for the 954 pulling the 6A,7A, and 8A State Championship sweep today.

Congratulations to all teams that made it to Lakeland this year.