Only two sites bid for FHSAA State Championships

Joshua Wilson

So only two cities have placed a bid for the FHSAA Football State Championships, Orlando and Daytona Beach.

To be honest I hope Daytona gets it because it will be a better feel for the games and it will give the games a crowded look. Citrus Bowl doesn't do that at all for the games.

Share your thoughts and read more here: http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/03/15/fhsaa-football-state-championships-remain-central-florida/

Well I'm just glad it stays in a central location, it would be unfair to let Miami host and have basically home advantage for Miami schools when teams from north having to drive like 7 hours so Orlando should keep it and other spot that could be considered is Tampa if there was way to ensure stadium would be free during weekend

Well I'm just glad it stays in a central location, it would be unfair to let Miami host and have basically home advantage for Miami schools when teams from north having to drive like 7 hours so Orlando should keep it and other spot that could be considered is Tampa if there was way to ensure stadium would be free during weekend

^^^^

- said the guy who wishes his Columbia team could travel several hours north to GA to play Camden County versus at HOME.  

- said the guy would "rather play every game on the road"

College All-American MVP

• photo-thumb-22405.gif?_r=1425786797
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 951 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

It will likely be only home game before week 7 against Bolles but I like being on road, was kinda hoping this one would be in GA 

College All-American MVP

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

Since 2013 2 total road losses 1 regular season 1 playoffs

Since 2013 5 total losses at home 3 regular season and 2 playoffs

Honestly I rather play every game on road, we better off in hostile environment 

You are essentially stating it is advantageous for a Miami area team to play in Boca Raton (1 hour north of Miami), but not advantageous for teams like Armwood (1 hour to Orlando) Osceola and Bishop Moore to play 15 minutes away in Orlando? Flanagan, STA, and Miami Central had to drive nearly 4 hours to Orlando. I am not promoting the future location in any way, but it is interesting that you call out a "home advantage" to Miami area teams but fail to recognize teams that play in the Orlando area (which have been many over the years) that are in a 1 hour radius or vicinity have any "home advantage" ....very interesting.

I don't like Daytona Beach Municipal Stadium because it's small. I think the finals need to stay in Orlando and Orlando has more to offer. You know you can make the finals a vacation by leaving Friday-Sunday. Besides the beaches if I'm correct what all does Daytona Beach offer.

I like Orlando for the games but the State Championships being played in the Citrus Bowl looked and felt ridiculous being there with crowds under 10,000 in a 70,000 capacity stadium....Unless it is Daytona Mainland in a Championship, I doubt that Daytona Beach Municipal Stadium would ever have any seating capacity issues hosting a State Championship.

You are essentially stating it is advantageous for a Miami area team to play in Boca Raton (1 hour north of Miami), but not advantageous for teams like Armwood (1 hour to Orlando) Osceola and Bishop Moore to play 15 minutes away in Orlando? Flanagan, STA, and Miami Central had to drive nearly 4 hours to Orlando. I am not promoting the future location in anyway, but it is interesting that you call out a "home advantage" to Miami area teams but fail to recognize teams that play in the Orlando area (which have been many over the years) that are in a 1 hour radius or vicinity have any "home advantage" ....very interesting.

That is true but with the central Florida it's hard to not have close proximity but it's a central state location but having in Miami it's less then a hour but should someone from Tallahassee or panhandke make it then it's up to like 10 hours vs less then a hour

That is true but with the central Florida it's hard to not have close proximity but it's a central state location but having in Miami it's less then a hour but should someone from Tallahassee or panhandke make it then it's up to like 10 hours vs less then a hour

Teams generally travel on a very comfortable bus, and stay in 4 star hotels for these events.  I agree that Central Florida is ideal but it was pretty clear in your opinion that you felt Miami area teams would have a Home Field advantage if States were held in South Florida and all was forgotten about the many Orlando/Tampa area schools that play in the Citrus Bowl....  

Would you be arguing that North Florida teams have a Home Field advantage over South Florida teams if States were held in Tallahassee or the Panhandle?  Would you be saying it is not fair to the Miami area schools  :o  :huh:  ;)   to have to travel all that distance?  I doubt it.  :D

You can't say that because what about the Orlando schools. Why do you think whenever Plant, Apopka or Dr. Phillips makes it to states they bring record crowds. Proximity is the key. As for Daytona Beach again it's to small. Do you all remember those years Northwestern went to states they brought tones of people.

<p>

^^^^

- said the guy who wishes his Columbia team could travel several hours north to GA to play Camden County versus at HOME.

- said the guy would "rather play every game on the road"

College All-American MVP

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

It will likely be only home game before week 7 against Bolles but I like being on road, was kinda hoping this one would be in GA

College All-American MVP

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

Since 2013 2 total road losses 1 regular season 1 playoffs

Since 2013 5 total losses at home 3 regular season and 2 playoffs

Honestly I rather play every game on road, we better off in hostile environment

lol

Hey I'm ok with any location, I would travel to the moon if it means Columbia goes to state, I'm just stating it can be problematic for others by putting it in a location that is so far south vs a central location

Well, States won't be problematic for any Miami area teams regardless of where the games take place. Games are generally won and lost on the field. Remember, it is a neutral field as well. It generally is not like one team plays Home games on that field. I doubt there are many teams that lost States and are looking back saying they lost because of travel or because they had less fans. To me the best advantage might be sleeping in your own bed versus a 4* hotel...

From a fans perspective, like you said it does not matter where the game is being played- you are going to be there. If my team is playing in States I am not sitting there saying well if it is under a 4 hour trip I will go but if it is a 7 hour trip I am not going. That would be an asinine perspective ( in my opinion) if your team is playing in a State Championship game.

These were the attendance numbers the last time Daytona Beach hosted.

Those numbers are comparable to what we are seeing now.

I feel the FHSAA wants to make a move here, but that is just me. At one time the seating capacity requirement use to be 25,000 in the Request for Proposal. This time around it got knocked down to 10,000. 

Daytona Beach might be an older stadium, but it has a lot of advantages that the Citrus Bowl lacks (like plenty of parking on site, setting has more a high school feel to it). Also hotel rates are likely to be cheaper in Daytona Beach than Orlando at the same time of the year the finals are played which is huge, plus everything with hotels and restaurants are easily accessible right there along ISB. Also the area I say is safer in terms of the area surrounding it (considering Father Lopez is located across the street).

SoFla. would give better attendance. But to be fare,each region of the state should have a shot at hosting championships. Maybe a rule like- after you've hosted 3 years, you give it up 3 years.

That would be nice, but take this bidding process for example -- if we did that Daytona would be the only other choice because they would have been literally the only place to say they wanted it. But what if they want too much money? Then the FHSAA would be stuck with them. 

That's why we don't do the 3 year rule you mentioned and every region does have a shot at hosting - nobody in North Florida is willing and nobody in South Florida is willing. Orlando and Daytona are only places that are willing to right now. 

If we had better parking then we could host but we so far north they probley wouldnt vote for us to host

That is the last thing that you would want though...that could be a nightmare scenario - could you imagine if Columbia hosted States and it was a year they went to States??? They would have to play the game at HOME ;-) !