Realignment

gatorman-uf

As far as this point system is concerned. It's brings a good/bad effect. Good is that teams will make able to schedule their own games, and format around their flexible dates for the season, and allow for teams that wouldn't get in in this current system to be in for this format. The bad is that the rivalry effect will be lost more than gained. Some of you are thinking rivalries will be increased, but i don't think so. The juggernaut programs are gonna continue to get national games into their schedule which brings a issue to teams in their district, and the South (Meaning Dade & Broward) are still favored to win more than half of the state titles come late in the playoffs.

I would like to see it all play out to be honest with the points system. I have been told though that some would prefer a modified system like this. 

- Keep districts

- District champs guaranteed a spot in the playoffs (seeded using point system)

- Take wildcards based upon points system and then seeded (so yes if one district has teams that have been better than another, I would take them and allow them to get in)

If that happens then you get the best of both worlds, but I would expect the FHSAA to tighten the belt and not allow teams to appeal their placement if this happens which has been a major issue. 

I think it would be wise to start with modified system. Then the FHSAA would have hard data on exactly how the point system effects playoffs and seeding before jumping in all the way. I know we can go back and use the point system on results from previous years, but I think the fans want to see just how this works.

Personally, I love the idea of bonus points. For the top tier teams fighting for playoff seeding those bonus points could mean the difference between hosting and traveling. Sure a 3a team can schedule an average to below average 7a team and win, but a 3a team scheduling a playoff caliber team from 6a and winning should be worth more points. Would make for some great match ups during the regular season.

I don't mean to be negative, but some of these districts don't make that much sense. For example. Flanagan, Hialeah, Gardens, Krop & Miramar. Don't understand that one. Why would west broward be in a district with North Miami & Mater. Northwestern & Carol City with Goleman, and Westland Hialeah. There is no hype around any of those districts that i browsed on there.

When we are talking about Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties, it simply is the idea of going South to North.

In terms of West Broward, North Miami, Mater Academy. The issue is District 16 is 5 teams already. I could move Miami Beach from District 16 to District 15 and move West Broward from District 15 to District 14. What that unfortunately does is create a 4 team District 16, 4 team District 15, and a 6 team District 14. Unfortunately, small districts are something that is often complained about so part of what I tried to do is avoid that.

As for Flanagan, Hialeah, Gardens, Krop, Miramar, that again is a North to South issue... The only thing I could do is move Miami Central to that district.

As for Miami NNW and Carol City.... South to North issue again...  District 16 is Homestead, Miami Sunset, Gulliver Prep, Doral, and Miami Springs... 

Miami Springs and MNW are almost level in terms of N/S, but the 4 other Southern Schools are closer to Springs so Springs moves to District 16. that means the next 5 schools will form District 15 which is the district that means. While North Miami Beach is more S than Carol City, Carol City is located closer to 3 of the other schools so they get District 15 while North Miami moves to District 14.

If district size didn't matter, if people were fine with 2 team district and 8 team districts, this isn't a hard task. At the point that that you have to find 4-6 teams consistently in each district, it becomes a matter of making certain decisions. If we get rid of districts (based on the original proposal by the FHSAA), the one benefit is no longer hearing about unfair districts. 

I would like to see it all play out to be honest with the points system. I have been told though that some would prefer a modified system like this. 

- Keep districts

- District champs guaranteed a spot in the playoffs (seeded using point system)

- Take wildcards based upon points system and then seeded (so yes if one district has teams that have been better than another, I would take them and allow them to get in)

If that happens then you get the best of both worlds, but I would expect the FHSAA to tighten the belt and not allow teams to appeal their placement if this happens which has been a major issue. 

Josh,

I think that is a good first step. It allows teams to have both the advantage of getting in by winning your district or by having that tough schedule. I would be ok if they shrank the class to 7A as well or failing that going down to 3 districts per region. The one thing that I can say after playing with these teams is that districts are hard to put together. There are times when I could easily have ended up with 18 districts instead of 16 or 9 instead 8.