Jon Santucci crying in print about his team not having chance to win a fake (suburban) state championship

Floridaatlantic1

https://www.staugustine.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2022/02/21/santucci-fhsaa-cant-keep-kicking-footballs-issues-down-road/6882964001/

Boo hoo. Guess Jon might have to wait two more years to win his first fake  Suburb championship. loser. The metro plan was soundly defeated by Administrators committee which he forgets to mention and a 8-7 vote by AD's ids not some overwhelming consensus. Maybe he  and the other suburb supporters should just drop out of FHSAA and form own title like miami teams did for a year.  

51 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

:D.  The article was funny.  

litter-ladies.gif

However, it highlights one very important point.  That plan is horrible.

Undoubtedly, it isn't the best plan and didn't address the core issues.  I read his article and just curious why he lumped our school in with the Metro's plus saying Venice is an outlier as if other teams like Lakeland have not managed some success.   We know what we are up against with the current system but worry about things we can control to achieve success, even though we fall short of our annual goal which is to win a championship.

7 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Undoubtedly, it isn't the best plan and didn't address the core issues.  I read his article and just curious why he lumped our school in with the Metro's plus saying Venice is an outlier as if other teams like Lakeland have not managed some success.   We know what we are up against with the current system but worry about things we can control to achieve success, even though we fall short of our annual goal which is to win a championship.

If Osceola is retaining a strong majority of their starters from last year (and from the information you have provided, it certainly seems that they do,) then they have as good a chance as anyone to win the 8A crown. Venice will be the favorite on paper but as studying history will tell you, no wars were ever won on paper with pencils. 8A should be a very interesting classification next season, especially if Osceola and West Orange both retain their core pieces. Can’t wait to see what the season brings.

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

If Osceola is retaining a strong majority of their starters from last year (and from the information you have provided, it certainly seems that they do,) then they have as good a chance as anyone to win the 8A crown. Venice will be the favorite on paper but as studying history will tell you, no wars were ever won on paper with pencils. 8A should be a very interesting classification next season, especially if Osceola and West Orange both retain their core pieces. Can’t wait to see what the season brings.

West Orange will mostly likely re-load as that was what they did to build the team they fielded last year.  But yes, we are returning our defense pretty intact and most importantly last year we had only 1 returning starter on the offensive line.  The rest had zero or minimal experience at the varsity level and were mostly freshmen, sophomore and couple juniors.  Their maturity will be key as we lose only 1 significant contributor from that group.  I think we will do okay.

6 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

West Orange will mostly likely re-load as that was what they did to build the team they fielded last year.  But yes, we are returning our defense pretty intact and most importantly last year we had only 1 returning starter on the offensive line.  The rest had zero or minimal experience at the varsity level and were mostly freshmen, sophomore and couple juniors.  Their maturity will be key as we lose only 1 significant contributor from that group.  I think we will do okay.

Who is Jon team ? 

Jon’s team is treasure coast and he is dreaming if he thinks he will beat Venice or Osceola. He and the suburban are just looking out for about 10 teams who have a chance to win a title while sacrificing many schools who will now be playing one or two division up with schools who have twice their size in population. Love how he said some schools have a area of two million to choose from.  Give me a break. There is over forty schools in the cities that size and only about three or four who  actually recruit and get super teams what about the other thirty five. 

12 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Jon’s team is treasure coast and he is dreaming if he thinks he will beat Venice or Osceola. He and the suburban are just looking out for about 10 teams who have a chance to win a title while sacrificing many schools who will now be playing one or two division up with schools who have twice their size in population. Love how he said some schools have a area of two million to choose from.  Give me a break. There is over forty schools in the cities that size and only about three or four who  actually recruit and get super teams what about the other thirty five. 

Treasure coast pretty good. Just work harder 

2 hours ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Interesting, I guess I have been confused all these years as I assumed it was Vero.

17 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Interesting, I guess I have been confused all these years as I assumed it was Vero.

Nah, Jon covered this area but he has always heaped tremendous praise on Treasure Coast even when they couldn’t get over the Vero hump. Most people in this area (other than Vero fans) typically adopt a “anyone but Vero” mindset, no matter if its TC, Fort Pierce Central or Centennial. 

1 hour ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Jon is only right about one thing. Why dont the suburb schools who do not like the FHSAA just opt out and leave to form their own association like some Miami schools did the Covid year. Problem solved without blowing up who system. 

Because the FHSAA has a history placating the few despite the many.

41 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Seems like this guy is a opinion columnist and not a journalist 

When you go to the article and click on his name, this is what you see:

Jon Santucci
Sports reporter for USA Today Network-Florida
Jon Santucci is the Florida high school recruiting reporter for Gannett.

But I understand what you're saying. 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

When you go to the article and click on his name, this is what you see:

Jon Santucci
Sports reporter for USA Today Network-Florida
Jon Santucci is the Florida high school recruiting reporter for Gannett.

But I understand what you're saying. 

I think of you are a journalist, then any opinion needs to come with a disclaimer. Your job is to give the news honestly, clear and concise. That what a journalist is. Not some activist with an agenda trying to sway public opinion. That’s tabloid crap. You are supposed to write the article of clear facts, and let the reader decide how to feel about it. That’s it. 

This is a miscarriage of journalism 

He never mentioned that the administrators were totally against it. Also, how 8-7 AD vote is not a solid approval. He blows off the whole private school dominance issue which accounts for alot of the metro championships. Finally, he acts like there is no recruiting outside those counties which is BS. The whole open enrollment can be traced to a certain Polk county school getting caught if I am not mistaken. Finally, he never mentions how it is possible the same teams will win in the suburb and metro in the future with new idea. The same 3-4 teams will win every year in new suburb as well as the metro. The super teams will continue to win and the other will get to get crushed by squeezing all the metro 6-8 A's into one division. dumb idea that solves nothing.    

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

I think of you are a journalist, then any opinion needs to come with a disclaimer. Your job is to give the news honestly, clear and concise. That what a journalist is. Not some activist with an agenda trying to sway public opinion. That’s tabloid crap. You are supposed to write the article of clear facts, and let the reader decide how to feel about it. That’s it. 

This is a miscarriage of journalism 

I'm not disagreeing with what you said Nolebull.  When I read the "article," I took it to be an editorial/opinion piece.  For what it's worth.  But perhaps we should just kick the can down the road on this issue.   B)

The classification system is broken... 

If you want the Metro schools to keep winning and taking all the spots in the state championships which also brings fewer fans to the stands while the schools in suburban and rural areas continue to get whipped because they can't get the talent needed because they don't have the luxury having 500,000 people in a small radius and knowing these are the schools that can bring fans to the stadium when state championships are held, then yes let's keep kicking the can down the road.

Open enrollment is here to stay, this plan is at least an attempt to try to do "Something" to fix the issues. Ok so what if it doesn't work? You keep working on it, but to not put any solution into action is not a good course of action. Doing the same thing over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. 

Multipliers won't do it because its a gray area involving open enrollment. Public/Private is not an option because its has been suggested before and not something from what I have heard is a popular idea with state legislators. 

End of the day sadly, I don't think this is going to pass leaving us with the current system in place... but I am tired of predicting the same state champions over and over again months before the season starts. That is not fun for me as a journalist, an advocate of this sport, nor is it fun for you all as fans.

Hi Josh.  The whole predicting the champs will be the same in the new 9 classes with five in suburb. Madison wins 1a.  5a will be Venice or Osceola.4 a will be Naples or mainland will win for sure. 3a will be cocoa every year.  I just predicted all suburb champs. It will be same six to 8 teams every year. 
in metro. It will be Miami central. Apopka or Columbus. St Thomas wins other one or northwestern and Chaminade.  So this plan does nothing to change state champs . Need true competitive balance wherw teams go up or down by performance and get best teams in top two or three divisions playing each other or put privates in own division. This plan sucks 

23 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Hi Josh.  The whole predicting the champs will be the same in the new 9 classes with five in suburb. Madison wins 1a.  5a will be Venice or Osceola.4 a will be Naples or mainland will win for sure. 3a will be cocoa every year.  I just predicted all suburb champs. It will be same six to 8 teams every year. 
in metro. It will be Miami central. Apopka or Columbus. St Thomas wins other one or northwestern and Chaminade.  So this plan does nothing to change state champs . Need true competitive balance wherw teams go up or down by performance and get best teams in top two or three divisions playing each other or put privates in own division. This plan sucks 

Do not agree with your simplistic predictions.  Lakeland and Lake Gibson would always be in the mix as well as several Panhandle schools.  St. Augustine, Deland, Merritt Island, Rockledge and others as well as some would see at least a chance which is non-existent for most from 2A to 7A which is where the privates in Metro areas reside.  Josh is spot on saying "Doing Nothing" is worst than making an attempt; if you don't put up a shot you certainly are not scoring.

Madison wins now with metro schools.  Only teams that beat Naples are called Miami central and northwestern 

Lakeland won a few years ago and will be in mix. Osceola and Venice already make it now with metro 

cocoa makes it now with metro. so who is really going to benefit here. Lake Gibson made it a few years ago.

so tons of schools are going to get crunched into four divisions screwing over all of them so teams that already get to the state game can win it every year in their division. Jon plan. Do real competitive balance and you will have the support of everyone but the amazing few 

1 hour ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

You will never get the support of the state behind something like this. It just isn't feasible unless you like to rely on MaxPreps rankings to make those decisions for you because that is what it is going to come down to. 

48 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Do not agree with your simplistic predictions.  Lakeland and Lake Gibson would always be in the mix as well as several Panhandle schools.  St. Augustine, Deland, Merritt Island, Rockledge and others as well as some would see at least a chance which is non-existent for most from 2A to 7A which is where the privates in Metro areas reside.  Josh is spot on saying "Doing Nothing" is worst than making an attempt; if you don't put up a shot you certainly are not scoring.

That is what Metro/Suburban would do. It would open for the door for a lot of teams to say hey we have a chance here to do something and be in the mix. 

Doing Nothing is not the answer, but if we keep doing nothing we are going to end up like California.

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Are there teams in classes 6A, 7A and 8A that are in the middle of nowhere?

Yes there are in fact a few of those, but also it is not just being out in the middle of "nowhere." You realize Indian River County is 31st in population in the state yet has an 8A school in Vero Beach? Think about that for a second.