Promotion/Relegation

gatorman-uf

I have suggested numerous times over the years that we should have a promotion/relegation system (my opinions on how it should be done, have changed, but always a recognition that classifications based solely on size seem antiquated). Additionally, the Florida Legislature's neutering of the FHSAA and now Open Enrollment have created more of what many of us expected and the FHSAA is limited in what it can do.

• Private vs Public classifications (No go with state legislature)
  • Metro vs Suburban (Doesn't solve the problem of transfers/recruits and throws a lot of schools under the bus)
  • Sitting out a year for transferring (no go with state legislature)
  • Multiplier based on transfers (It might solve the issue for small schools, but does STA really care if they play in 7A or 8A?).

My solution use the MaxPreps end of year rankings for the previous 4 years, average them, and move a team up or down based on their ranking within their classification. Good teams will rise up, bad teams will move down, teams will be able to find some competitive balance within their classification. The benefit of this is that it works in all sports. A school dominates in baseball? Move them up! That same school's soccer team scored 1 goal all season, move them down! So yes in theory, your school could be 8A in volleyball and 4A in football, who cares, we want competitive balance that the current classification system doesn't offer.

People might suggest that the FHSAA offered this up a couple of years ago, I think they did it wrong. They based it on that season's results and it affected the playoffs. So if you were really good that one season, have a chance at the state championship, the FHSAA wanted to yank you from your classification and put you in a separate class. Long term that might work, but the state wasn't ready for that.

So I did the research, here are the teams that would move up/down in each class. Would we have teams that would still be automatic favorites to win the state championship? Sure, but it takes time, coaches/ADs are not going to take a radical switch of where their team is.

In 8A, the following teams would move down:
Tohopekaliga (Kissimmee)
Freedom (Orlando)
Coral Reef (Miami)
Royal Palm Beach
University (Orlando)
Celebration
Lake Worth
Windermere
Leonard (Greenacres)
West Boca Raton (Boca Raton)
Miami Beach
Cypress Creek (Orlando)

The following teams from 7A would replace them:

St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale)
Edgewater (Orlando)
Lakeland
Armwood (Seffner)
Dillard (Fort Lauderdale)
Tampa Bay Tech (Tampa)
Niceville
Palmetto
Bloomingdale (Valrico)
Buchholz (Gainesville)
Atlantic (Delray Beach)
Wekiva (Apopka)

The following teams would be moving out of 7A and into 6A:
East Ridge (Clermont)
Cooper City
Everglades (Miramar)
Lake Howell (Winter Park)
South Plantation (Plantation)
Winter Springs
North Port
Strawberry Crest (Dover)
Olympic Heights (Boca Raton)
Mater Academy Charter (Hialeah Gardens)
Nova (Davie)
Leto (Tampa)

The following teams would be moving up to 7A from 6A
Northwestern (Miami)
Jesuit (Tampa)
Jones (Orlando)
Naples
Vanguard (Ocala)
Riverside (Jacksonville)
Lincoln (Tallahassee)
Columbia (Lake City)
Escambia (Pensacola)
Pine Forest (Pensacola)
Plantation
Mainland (Daytona Beach)

The following teams would drop out of 6A into 5A:
Blake (Tampa)
Englewood (Jacksonville)
Spoto (Riverview)
Cape Coral
Okeechobee
Suncoast (Riviera Beach)
Hollywood Hills (Hollywood)
East Lee County (Lehigh Acres)
Freedom (Tampa)
Belleview
Brandon
Northeast (Oakland Park)

The following teams would rise out of 5A into 6A
Central (Miami)
American Heritage (Plantation)
Rockledge
Raines (Jacksonville)
Wakulla (Crawfordville)
Killian (Miami)
Bishop Moore (Orlando)
Dunnellon
Baker County (Glen St. Mary)
Godby (Tallahassee)
North Marion (Citra)
Sebring

The following teams would drop out of 5A into 4A (only 6 teams).
Pine Ridge (Deltona)
Titusville
Anclote (Holiday)
Horizon (Winter Garden)
Gulf (New Port Richey)
Lake Buena Vista (Orlando)

The following teams would rise of out 4A into 5A (7 teams, due to University's ambiguous status)
Cardinal Gibbons (Fort Lauderdale)
Cocoa
University (Fort Lauderdale)
Bolles (Jacksonville)
Gulliver Prep (Miami)
Booker T. Washington (Miami)
Carol City (Miami)

The following teams would drop out of 4A into 3A (6 teams)
North Bay Haven Academy (Panama City)
Tenoroc (Lakeland)
Davenport
Umatilla
Central (Brooksville)
Parrish Community (Parrish)

The following teams would rise out of 3A into 4A (6 teams)
Chaminade-Madonna (Hollywood)
Berkeley Prep (Tampa)
Florida State University High School (Tallahassee)
Clearwater Central Catholic (Clearwater)
Edison (Miami)
Tampa Catholic (Tampa)

The following teams would drop out 3A into 2A (6 teams)
Somerset Academy South Homestead (Homestead)
Inlet Grove (Riviera Beach)
Interlachen
Trinity Prep (Winter Park)
Gateway (Fort Myers)
Cornerstone Charter Academy (Belle Isle)

The following teams would rise out of 2A into 3A
Trinity Christian Academy (Jacksonville)
Champagnat Catholic (Hialeah)
Orlando Christian Prep (Orlando)
University Christian (Jacksonville)
Victory Christian Academy (Lakeland)
John Carroll Catholic (Fort Pierce)

I think this solves so many of the issues that we know exist within the current system, but do little to stop. Would recruiting/transfers be a problem still, sure, I am throwing in the towel on that until the state legislature changes (hint: they won't), but in the long term it creates balance. Would a school like Trinity Christian still wipe the floor with most of the 3A schools that they would be facing? Sure, it is going to take time to solve this.

But every remaining 2A school would probably be happy, they would feel like they have a chance to win. Another year and probably every 3A is school is happy and so forth. Meanwhile, your worst schools in a classification are feeling better if only because they are moving closer to schools that are on their level.

Long term, we probably remove district games as well and simply require a certain % of games to be played against teams in your classification (FHSAA $$$ steps in when distance will be a problem).

3 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I have suggested numerous times over the years that we should have a promotion/relegation system (my opinions on how it should be done, have changed, but always a recognition that classifications based solely on size seem antiquated). Additionally, the Florida Legislature's neutering of the FHSAA and now Open Enrollment have created more of what many of us expected and the FHSAA is limited in what it can do.

• Metro vs Suburban (Doesn't solve the problem of transfers/recruits and throws a lot of schools under the bus)
  • Multiplier based on transfers (It might solve the issue for small schools, but does STA really care if they play in 7A or 8A?).

My solution use the MaxPreps end of year rankings for the previous 4 years, average them, and move a team up or down based on their ranking within their classification. Good teams will rise up, bad teams will move down, teams will be able to find some competitive balance within their classification. The benefit of this is that it works in all sports. A school dominates in baseball? Move them up! That same school's soccer team scored 1 goal all season, move them down! So yes in theory, your school could be 8A in volleyball and 4A in football, who cares, we want competitive balance that the current classification system doesn't offer.

People might suggest that the FHSAA offered this up a couple of years ago, I think they did it wrong. They based it on that season's results and it affected the playoffs. So if you were really good that one season, have a chance at the state championship, the FHSAA wanted to yank you from your classification and put you in a separate class. Long term that might work, but the state wasn't ready for that.

So I did the research, here are the teams that would move up/down in each class. Would we have teams that would still be automatic favorites to win the state championship? Sure, but it takes time, coaches/ADs are not going to take a radical switch of where their team is.

And it's exactly why the systems that can work will never pass 

The people with the decision ability are really only looking out for their own teams interest and even with the coaches advisory board there were/are coaches that are supposed to represent their area but only take suggestions from coaches who benefit their program or similar programs 

Metro/suburban is closer to fixing the problem because it starts to address the real imbalance in the current state format which is the fact that with open enrollment teams from metro areas can recruit more talent in a week than larger rural or suburban schools can grow in 4 years of hard work 

I think the best way to use metro/suburban would be if their idea is 4 metro classes look at each metro county and split them into 4 quadrants 

Quadrant 1 

(Top 25% winning percentage)

Quadrant 2

(Next 25% winning percentage)

And well you get the idea 

After each cycle take the winning percentages and adjust for the next cycle, it may not be perfect but it would be a step in the right direction and will move us away from the out of date student enrollment system 

6 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

You showed me yours, now I'll show you mine, LOL!

Class reduction - The first thing I would do is combine classes 1A & 2A, then 3A & 4A for total of 6 classes (1A-6A).  The reason I decided to go in this direction is the face that Classes 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A are roughly have the size of the larger classes and for this reason, more than half of all schools make the playoffs.  The also contributes to the fact that half the schools have BYE in the first round as there are not enough schools in those classes to fulfill 16 1st round games like classes 5A-8A.

8A=6A
7A=5A
6A=4A
5A=3A
4A+3A=2A
2A+1A=1A

Promotion/Relegation based on 2021 season would be as follows:

The top 25% of each class will move up based on regular season and playoff performance.  

The bottom 25% of each class will move down based on regular season results.  It can be ASSumed that the bottom 25% of each class won't make the post season.  

In 6A (old 8A), the following teams move down to 5A (old 7A)

West Port
Colonial
Evans
University (Orlando)
Royal Palm Beach
Santaluces
John I. Leonard
Cypress Creek (Orlando)
Lakewood Ranch
Palm Harbor University
Riverview (Riverview)
Windermere
Southwest Miami
Coral Springs
West Boca Raton
Taravella

The following teams from 5A (old 7A) would move up to 6A (old 8A) to replace them:

Buchholz
Niceville
University (Orange City)
Nease
Edgewater
Martin County
Melbourne
Lake Gibson
Tampa Bay Tech
Lehigh
Wharton
Palmetto
St. Thomas Aquinas
Homestead
Dillard
Miramar

In 5A (old 7A), the following teams move down to 4A (old 6A)

Leon
Winter Springs
First Coast
Lake Howell
George Jenkins
Winter Haven
Fort Pierce Westwood
East Ridge
Strawberry Crest
North Port
Lennard
Leto
Hialeah
Blanche Ely
South Plantation
Everglades

The following teams from 4A (old 6A) would move up to 5A (old 7A) to replace them:

Pine Forest
Riverside
Mosley
Lincoln
Vanguard
Auburndale
Jones
Lake Wales
Jesuit
Braden River
Hillsborough
Sumner
Naples
Miami Northwestern
Coconut Creek
Plantation

In 4A (old 6A), the following teams move down to 3A (old 5A)

Orange Park
Westside
Matanzas
Ridgeview
Gateway (Kissimmee)
South Lake
Okeechobee
Suncoast
King
Brandon
Freedom (Tampa)
Blake
Cape Coral
East Lee County
Boyd Anderson
Northeast (Oakland Park)

The following teams from 3A (old 5A) would move up to 4A (old 6A) to replace them:

West Florida
Raines
Baker County
Wakulla
Merritt Island
Rockledge
Satellite
Bishop Moore
Clearwater
Sebring
Nature Coast
Gibbs
Miami Killian
American Heritage (Plantation)
Miami Central
Stranahan

In 3A (old 5A), the following teams move down to 2A (old 4A + old 3A)

Ribault
Arnold
Pensacola
Palatka
Atlantic (Port Orange)
Lake Weir
Horizon
Lake Buena Vista
Booker
Robinson
Weeki Wachee
Anclote
Miami Springs
Mariner
Hialeah-Miami Lakes
LaBelle

The following teams from 2A (old 4A + old 3A) would move up to 3A (old 5A) to replace them:

Bolles
South Walton
Trinity Catholic
Florida High
Cocoa
The Villages
Lakeland Christian
Benjamin
Lakewood
Clewiston
Berkeley Prep
Clearwater Central Catholic
Gulliver Prep
Cardinal Gibbons
Chaminade-Madonna
Cardinal Newman

In 2A (old 4A + old 3A), the following teams move down to 1A (old 2A + old 1A)

Fernandina Beach
Wolfson
Maclay
Providence
Santa Fe (Alachua)
Central (Brooksville)
Melbourne Central Catholic
Cornerstone Charter
Davenport
Discovery
Oasis
Gateway (Fort Myers)
North Broward Prep
Miami Carol City
Everglades Prep
St. John Paul II (Boca Raton)

The following teams from 1A (old 2A + old 1A) would move up to 2A (old 3A + old 4A) to replace them:

Trinity Christian (Jacksonville)
Munroe Day
Baker
Chipley
Orlando Christian Prep
Zephyrhills Christian
Blountstown
Madison County
First Baptist (Naples)
Northside Christian
Chiefland
Union County
Champagnat Catholic
John Carroll
Hawthorne
Pahokee

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And it's exactly why the systems that can work will never pass 

The people with the decision ability are really only looking out for their own teams interest and even with the coaches advisory board there were/are coaches that are supposed to represent their area but only take suggestions from coaches who benefit their program or similar programs 

Metro/suburban is closer to fixing the problem because it starts to address the real imbalance in the current state format which is the fact that with open enrollment teams from metro areas can recruit more talent in a week than larger rural or suburban schools can grow in 4 years of hard work 

I think the best way to use metro/suburban would be if their idea is 4 metro classes look at each metro county and split them into 4 quadrants 

After each cycle take the winning percentages and adjust for the next cycle, it may not be perfect but it would be a step in the right direction and will move us away from the out of date student enrollment system 

First, your idea of splitting them into different quadrants is exactly what my idea does, you just add that it should also be based on metro/suburban.

My problem is that Metro/Suburban is completely arbitrary. Look at Duval, Raines and Mandarin have recently won state championships, but it had been 2 decades since a public school team had won from that County. Is that really a dominant county? Is Columbia really pulling from the same area as Vanguard or St. Augustine, despite school size similarities? My problem with the Metro/Suburban is that doesn't solve the competitive imbalance issues, they still exist. 

Looking
 https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2022/01/20/high-school-football-possible-2022-fhsaa-metro-suburban-classifications/6590427001/

It is suggested that Stanton/Paxon and Raines should be in the same district!!!
It is suggested that Bolles and Wolfson should be in the same district!!!
It is suggested that Westland Hialeah (.198 winning % over last 10 years) and Miami Carol City in the same district!!!

My idea doesn't shock the system, the way the FHSAA tried to do it. The FHSAA tried to say, if you have a good year, we are going to move you into an elite/premiere playoff. No coach wanted that because, maybe they hit lightning in the bottle that year and this is their one chance to go the state championship. My proposed system does it gradually, sure TCA probably represents 3A in the state championship again and again in 4A, but 5A, maybe not. Does an above average Columbia/Buchholz/Vanguard/Bartram Trail win a state championship when they have to face STA, probably not.

2 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

First, your idea of splitting them into different quadrants is exactly what my idea does, you just add that it should also be based on metro/suburban.

My problem is that Metro/Suburban is completely arbitrary. Look at Duval, Raines and Mandarin have recently won state championships, but it had been 2 decades since a public school team had won from that County. Is that really a dominant county? Is Columbia really pulling from the same area as Vanguard or St. Augustine, despite school size similarities? My problem with the Metro/Suburban is that doesn't solve the competitive imbalance issues, they still exist. 

Looking
 https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2022/01/20/high-school-football-possible-2022-fhsaa-metro-suburban-classifications/6590427001/

It is suggested that Westland Hialeah (.198 winning % over last 10 years) and Miami Carol City in the same district!!!

My idea doesn't shock the system, the way the FHSAA tried to do it. The FHSAA tried to say, if you have a good year, we are going to move you into an elite/premiere playoff. No coach wanted that because, maybe they hit lightning in the bottle that year and this is their one chance to go the state championship. My proposed system does it gradually, sure TCA probably represents 3A in the state championship again and again in 4A, but 5A, maybe not. Does an above average Columbia/Buchholz/Vanguard/Bartram Trail win a state championship when they have to face STA, probably not.

First of all the main reason Duval county can't get more publics winning state titles is probably just because the coaching in the county isn't up to par with what you get from Orlando, Pensacola, Tampa or SFL 

The most talented teams in Duval county lack the discipline which in a perfect example would have been for anyone who saw Riverside vs Columbia during the regular season this year 

Riverside had several turnovers including two on special teams (nearly had 3 additional turnovers on special teams) primarily because they didn't know how to handle the ball on a kickoff or punt. The lack of discipline is exactly why Riverside was never gonna win a state title 

(1)

Looking

That was suggested for what I stated above that the FHSAA won't do which is abandon the student enrollment system

That is where the system goes off the rails

If the FHSAA went all in and used winning percentage with Metro/suburban then you won't see those kind of mismatch results and the system could have a chance of success

Looking

Well we saw what happened with buchholz

They may have had alachua county best team since 2012 Gainesville and couldn't even compete for a quarter with STA 

A 6a or 7a team from Lake City, Gainesville, Ocala, Tallahassee, ect isn't ever going to have an even shot of competing with one from SFL, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville if they pull all the blue chippers to one team which is exactly what can happen currently

Student enrollment is no longer an effective way of classification since the open transfer rules were put in place so until you put teams of similar talent pools together you will always get blowouts in the playoffs and state finals and all the state titles will go to recruiting publics in metros or private schools in metro areas 

If you take out 1A over 95% of the state titles in last 25-30 years are from the top 10 population counties 

42 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

First of all the main reason Duval county can't get more publics winning state titles is probably just because the coaching in the county isn't up to par with what you get from Orlando, Pensacola, Tampa or SFL 

The most talented teams in Duval county lack the discipline which in a perfect example would have been for anyone who saw Riverside vs Columbia during the regular season this year 

Riverside had several turnovers including two on special teams (nearly had 3 additional turnovers on special teams) primarily because they didn't know how to handle the ball on a kickoff or punt. The lack of discipline is exactly why Riverside was never gonna win a state title 

(1)

Perhaps the reason Duval doesn't have more public champions is the same reason Broward doesn't.  Think about it.

This old man is a little slow, so someone correct me if I am somehow not understanding this system you guys are advocating.  Using the formula for six classifications it appears that over time, 4 or 5 or 6 years wouldn't the top programs end up in the top 2 classes; mediocre programs in the middle third with the poor programs in the bottom third.  So what you achieve over time is 2 champions of the best and 2 champions of the average with another 2 champions of the weak?  Maybe I am missing something again.

18 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Perhaps the reason Duval doesn't have more public champions is the same reason Broward doesn't.  Think about it.

The difference is that there's really only 3 good privates in Duval and they are all in 4a Or lower 

In SFL there are schools like Columbus, STA, AHP and Cardinal Gibbons who have been in upper classifications for a while (yes Cardinal Gibbons is 4a now but they used to share a district with AHP)

That's in addition to the publics in Dade county who hault several Broward publics in their path but even so those Broward County publics have had more success than the publics in Duval county

23 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Bolles usually gets kids from St John's or Nassau county not Duval

UC sometimes gets a few Duval kids 

TCA gets a few but even this past year their best transfer came from Nassau county so if your implying the privates are taking all the good kids from the publics then the answer is no, the teams like Riverside and sandalwood just don't know how to utilize their athletes well enough to compete for titles

20 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

his old man is a little slow, so someone correct me if I am somehow not understanding this system you guys are advocating.  Using the formula for six classifications it appears that over time, 4 or 5 or 6 years wouldn't the top programs end up in the top 2 classes; mediocre programs in the middle third with the poor programs in the bottom third.  So what you achieve over time is 2 champions of the best and 2 champions of the average with another 2 champions of the weak?  Maybe I am missing something again.

I don't know if you are talking to me or Nulli, but it happens in both our systems. And yes, 8A (or 6A in Nulli's) would have all the teams that would normally be competing for a state championship in one classification, the teams that right now you would pencil into Regional Finals and would think it weird if they lost in round 1 or 2. 

Why? Because Super Teams are killing sports in general. Everyone knows that a team like Trinity Christian will be in the finals in 2A or 3A without batting an eye, so why compete? The FHSAA needs create a system that strives to create competitive balance. Competitive Balance encourages teams to try and do better because they are facing similar type teams. Some schools have tradition, some have great feeder programs, some have money and a name, some have great coaches. And the good teams want to compete with teams that are similar. Teams that lack some of the above want to compete with other schools like themselves. Size doesn't matter anymore.

1A Rural has been a success overall if you ask the schools, because they feel that they have a chance and are playing schools like themselves (Madison County not withstanding). I think all the schools want that same level of feeling. Promotion/Relegation system accomplishes this and the best part is that you can do this in every sport. 

4 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I don't know if you are talking to me or Nulli, but it happens in both our systems. And yes, 8A (or 6A in Nulli's) would have all the teams that would normally be competing for a state championship in one classification, the teams that right now you would pencil into Regional Finals and would think it weird if they lost in round 1 or 2. 

Why? Because Super Teams are killing sports in general. Everyone knows that a team like Trinity Christian will be in the finals in 2A or 3A without batting an eye, so why compete? The FHSAA needs create a system that strives to create competitive balance. Competitive Balance encourages teams to try and do better because they are facing similar type teams. Some schools have tradition, some have great feeder programs, some have money and a name, some have great coaches. And the good teams want to compete with teams that are similar. Teams that lack some of the above want to compete with other schools like themselves. Size doesn't matter anymore.

1A Rural has been a success overall if you ask the schools, because they feel that they have a chance and are playing schools like themselves (Madison County not withstanding). I think all the schools want that same level of feeling. Promotion/Relegation system accomplishes this and the best part is that you can do this in every sport. 

I understand the premise of super teams and how they are ruining the sport which I agree is happening.  How to fix that remains murky with the underlying feeders to this situation still in place.  And I get the idea of giving teams hope, but in the end you get what I described.  Best teams in the top third, average in the middle and poor in the bottom third.   Guess each individual school has to decide if they can take pride in that type of scenario.