Promotion/Relegation

gatorman-uf

2 minutes ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Talent wise yes they do get transfers in but majority of the kids come from that area of Overtown.

Oh and I guess your right because school's like Columbia, Raines, Riverside (Lee) and Mainland just naming a few probably could never replicate what Booker T. Washington did.

Raines and Riverside probably could get a team good enough to win a state title in a large classification if they had a good coach and got all the studs in the county to come to them 

I doubt Mainland or Columbia could because their area just doesn't have enough blue chippers to keep up with a powerhouse in Dade or Broward county

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Having a bunch of players on the roster is a different depth than a classification having depth 

When I say depth I'm referring to the classification having a good core (4-6) teams who could realistically compete for a title 

Last year I only saw 2 teams as title threats in preseason and they met in the finals 

That's not a deep classification

But just last year other years were closer. Much closer remember baker won state. Who had the running back set the state record against a middle school team in South walton.  1a has talent just not enough,  hamp cheevers is the greatest 1A player to play rural football since 2011. He in the cfl now look him up please please.  Dude set the ncaa record nine picks,  plus he embarrassed Madison county and won. 

8 minutes ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Talent wise yes they do get transfers in but majority of the kids come from that area of Overtown.

Oh and I guess your right because school's like Columbia, Raines, Riverside (Lee) and Mainland just naming a few probably could never replicate what Booker T. Washington did.

Yeah overtown definitely has talent I won't argue that and I'm sure a lot of those kids were in their backyard but even so how many other neighborhoods if any in FL outside of Dade or Broward come close to the talent in overtown? 

And yeah that's the thing that I look at with this metro vs suburban argument is that it's unrealistic in the current climate to expect any school not from a major city to be capable of keeping up with the talent arms race we see in these major cities 

It's just how the game has changed now

Years ago it probably is possible for a team to have a lightning in a bottle year and compete with a good Dade or Broward team because you had a more balance split of talent but now a days it's so lopsided and the top teams are so overwhelming deep with talent it's next to impossible to compete unless you also have access to a deep talent pool that's at least comparable to these SFL pockets

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

But just last year other years were closer. Much closer remember baker won state. Who had the running back set the state record against a middle school team in South walton.  1a has talent just not enough,  hamp cheevers is the greatest 1A player to play rural football since 2011. He in the cfl now look him up please please.  Dude set the ncaa record nine picks,  plus he embarrassed Madison county and won. 

NCAA record? The NCAA record for interceptions in a season is 14 not 9 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah overtown definitely has talent I won't argue that and I'm sure a lot of those kids were in their backyard but even so how many other neighborhoods if any in FL outside of Dade or Broward come close to the talent in overtown? 

And yeah that's the thing that I look at with this metro vs suburban argument is that it's unrealistic in the current climate to expect any school not from a major city to be capable of keeping up with the talent arms race we see in these major cities 

Years ago it probably is possible for a team to have a lightning in a bottle year and compete with a good Dade or Broward team because you had a more balance split of talent but now a days it's so lopsided and the top teams are so overwhelming deep with talent it's next to impossible to compete unless you also have access to a deep talent pool that's at least comparable to these SFL pockets

If Columbia would send they best players to madison.  Cowboys beat dade or Broward.  Think the lines will be elite,  Madison runs 4-2-5 so more picks in secondary.  The run game would be like chaminade Madonna.  And they will win the coaches are there just need speed Columbia has that . 

Just now, Jesse said:

If Columbia would send they best players to madison.  Cowboys beat dade or Broward.  Think the lines will be elite,  Madison runs 4-2-5 so more picks in secondary.  The run game would be like chaminade Madonna.  And they will win the coaches are there just need speed Columbia has that . 

You obviously have never seen a good Dade or Broward team in action

I actually saw a very good one this past year in Cardinal Gibbons and if you think Columbia speed was deadly, these SFL teams would see Madison as slow farmboys that couldn't catch them at half speed

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Chaminade probably had the best DL in the state this past year

They probably would hold Madison to less than 20 yards rushing and would feast on your "option" QB

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes your right. 

Overtown is Booker T. Washington 

Liberty City is Miami Central and Miami Northwestern 

I have nothing against the other parts of Florida but the talent down here is just to widespread. I'll give an example and I think you've stated it but besides from Bolles a private school no other schools has won a state title but Raines 1997 and 2017 and Mandarin 2018

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You obviously have never seen a good Dade or Broward team in action

I actually saw a very good one this past year in Cardinal Gibbons and if you think Columbia speed was deadly, these SFL teams would see Madison as slow farmboys that couldn't catch them at half speed

The thing is and I know for a fact in the black communities but football and track go hand in hand. This is why SF has speed. You go to a track meet and the whole park is packed with tents and coolers just like a little league football game.

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Chaminade probably had the best DL in the state this past year

They probably would hold Madison to less than 20 yards rushing and would feast on your "option" QB

Yeah but the madison offense of line would be great and with Columbia speed at wide receiver and a good qb madison wins . 2019 madison was last elite.  Fleming last elite player maybe idk. 

3 minutes ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Yes your right. 

Overtown is Booker T. Washington 

Liberty City is Miami Central and Miami Northwestern 

I have nothing against the other parts of Florida but the talent down here is just to widespread. I'll give an example and I think you've stated it but besides from Bolles a private school no other schools has won a state title but Raines 1997 and 2017 and Mandarin 2018

If your talking about Duval county the only publics to win state titles were raines (1997,2017, 2018) and Mandarin (2018) 

Bolles, TCA and UC have titles but 2 programs account for all 4 public state titles in Duval county

The talent being so widespread in SFL is why you can see several state and national powerhouses at once and still be deep enough where no other parts of the state can gather enough talent to compete but also those SFL athletes have a certain level of hunger that the rest of the state lacks 

3 minutes ago, FBGUY1989 said:

The thing is and I know for a fact in the black communities but football and track go hand in hand. This is why SF has speed. You go to a track meet and the whole park is packed with tents and coolers just like a little league football game.

Yeah its crazy.  

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If your talking about Duval county the only publics to win state titles were raines (1997,2017, 2018) and Mandarin (2018) 

Bolles, TCA and UC have titles but 2 programs account for all 4 public state titles in Duval county

The talent being so widespread in SFL is why you can see several state and national powerhouses at once and still be deep enough where no other parts of the state can gather enough talent to compete but also those SFL athletes have a certain level of hunger that the rest of the state lacks 

Madison has had that hunger as a team and individual.  Check hudl. 4.3 guys and massive lineman 6'5 300. Born and raised in Madison or greenville.  It's college that affects them boys from madison you understand coming from a small town. Is tough 

15 minutes ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Yeah and it doesn't get mentioned on the board much but SFL is pretty dominant in basketball as well 

But I noticed with basketball as well as baseball or softball or soccer or whatever that the smaller the rosters are the more chance that a North team can get a win every now and then because they don't need as many studs to manage as they would in football 

Even so SFL and the fact that whatever sport it is, they train year round and they are hungrier than other parts of the state and that breeded with their natural talent makes it impossible for the rest of Florida to keep up 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Madison has had that hunger as a team and individual.  Check hudl. 4.3 guys and massive lineman 6'5 300. Born and raised in Madison or greenville.  It's college that affects them boys from madison you understand coming from a small town. Is tough 

It's not the same 

For some of these SFL kids it's either make it in sports to go to college or potentially get gunned down walking home from a corner store 

They fight to survive and for some of these athletes it's either get good enough to get to college or end up a statistic 

You might get some kids hungry to escape their town but these SFL neighborhoods breed some of the most hungriest and toughest kids on the planet  

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah and it doesn't get mentioned on the board much but SFL is pretty dominant in basketball as well 

But I noticed with basketball as well as baseball or softball or soccer or whatever that the smaller the rosters are the more chance that a North team can get a win every now and then because they don't need as many studs to manage as they would in football 

Even so SFL and the fact that whatever sport it is, they train year round and they are hungrier than other parts of the state and that breaded with their natural talent makes it impossible for the rest of Florida to keep up 

Madison used to keep up . But yeah I won the 1A debate.  I went to blountstown dude ik all the champions and stats, players everything.  I go to 1A games man come on . 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's not the same 

For some of these SFL kids it's either make it in sports to go to college or potentially get gunned down walking home from a corner store 

They fight to survive and for some of these athletes it's either get good enough to get to college or end up a statistic 

You might get some kids hungry to escape their town but these SFL neighborhoods breed some of the most hungriest and toughest kids on the planet  

Greenville fl knows violence.  It's a rap town. No big time rappers but they really talented and well off. Them kids ball out for Madison bc the friends be getting killed or locked up. A Madison running back who took off on Columbia and everyone else was in jail last year before football. All he did was run for 1,300 rushing yards in his only season ever. He truck driving these fall. Greenville has its struggles man. Fleming house burned down when he was 5 , he had to live with Mike coe.  Now you see him now a elite running back.  So many stories man.  Derrick staten who embarrassed Columbia in 2017 , now smoke 24/7 and a rapper. Madison has like 15 rappers. Poorest county in Florida man. A D high school 

3 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

In one of my other posts about promotion/relegation, I have suggested that the top "rural school" switches places with the lowest ranked rural school not in 1A regardless of size. I mean I am surprised that more rural school people aren't upset at the Sneads Volleyball team and their 9 straight state championships.

Nobody cares about Volleyball most schools have less than 50 people at a game. This is the South Football is King by a country mile.

40 minutes ago, Tigerskin said:

Nobody cares about Volleyball most schools have less than 50 people at a game. This is the South Football is King by a country mile.

1000 miles , small towns it be 1000 at football games. Sometimes 30 at basketball for girls or track meets like 40 People. Trust me I been there 

10 hours ago, Jesse said:

Well he got 9 in he from little trenton fl.  

Took Jesse's advice and did look it up; Cheevers only played 1 year at Boston College so his total INT's is actually 7.   As Columbia said many small communities have kids that excel.  In 1982-83 Kissimmee wasn't that big, but Markus Paul from that class still owns the total interception record for Syracuse with 19.

14 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I would reduce to 6 classes as well, but it would be over a period of 5 years (and I am keeping the current 1A). If the FHSAA's calls me up to do this, then I will sit and do the math, but until then this is what the finals look like. 
6A - 32 teams (All make playoffs, 70% of schedule against other 6A schools)
5A - 64 teams (50% make playoffs, 60% of schedule against other 5A schools)
4A - 96 teams (33% make playoffs, 60% of schedule against other 4A schools)
3A - 120 teams (27% make playoffs, 50% of schedule against other 3A schools)
2A - 140 teams (23% make playoffs or 46% make playoffs and compete to a regional championship)

I hope they do call!  Even though we differ on some things, I like your idea.  It's also interesting to see the schools that were chosen to move up and down between us and why.