Promotion/Relegation

gatorman-uf

10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah and it doesn't get mentioned on the board much but SFL is pretty dominant in basketball as well 

But I noticed with basketball as well as baseball or softball or soccer or whatever that the smaller the rosters are the more chance that a North team can get a win every now and then because they don't need as many studs to manage as they would in football 

Even so SFL and the fact that whatever sport it is, they train year round and they are hungrier than other parts of the state and that breeded with their natural talent makes it impossible for the rest of Florida to keep up 

I don't always agree with Columbia, but his premise about the football talent in SFL is indisputable and anyone thinks any different is just sticking their head in the sand.  When Howard Schnellenberger took over the HC position at the U, he predicted if he could just keep the SFL talent (I-4 south) he could compete for championships.  National programs like Notre Dame that recruited nationally scoffed at the idea. But in a couple of years when he started kicking their ass, they and others like Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma plus local UF, FSU and the entire SEC took notice.  The recruiting wars focused on this area, not just because it had the most talent in FL but the entire nation.  The U has suffered ever since.  They are faster, bigger, stronger and more athletic in huge numbers as evidenced when you look at college rosters throughout this nation.  As he stated, sports with less personnel are different and he correctly points out how SFL dominated in basketball especially in the larger classes.  As of late, that distinction goes to CFL with Oak Ridge '18, OHS '17 & '19, DP '21 and now probably '22 and others.  

11 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If your talking about Duval county the only publics to win state titles were raines (1997,2017, 2018) and Mandarin (2018) 

Bolles, TCA and UC have titles but 2 programs account for all 4 public state titles in Duval county

The talent being so widespread in SFL is why you can see several state and national powerhouses at once and still be deep enough where no other parts of the state can gather enough talent to compete but also those SFL athletes have a certain level of hunger that the rest of the state lacks 

Oh yeah forgot Raines won it back to back and I'm from Miami so I know the hunger and drive these kids have.

11 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah and it doesn't get mentioned on the board much but SFL is pretty dominant in basketball as well 

But I noticed with basketball as well as baseball or softball or soccer or whatever that the smaller the rosters are the more chance that a North team can get a win every now and then because they don't need as many studs to manage as they would in football 

Even so SFL and the fact that whatever sport it is, they train year round and they are hungrier than other parts of the state and that breeded with their natural talent makes it impossible for the rest of Florida to keep up 

Down here it's more about football and track then it is basketball.

4 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

I hope they do call!  Even though we differ on some things, I like your idea.  It's also interesting to see the schools that were chosen to move up and down between us and why.

Somehow I doubt they will be calling me anytime soon, I offered critiques on a week to week basis on the RPI/Power Rankings (as I couldn't get my numbers to match with theirs due to out of state games), they basically told me to bugger off. I stopped doing the math after several weeks, but I know it had to do with how MaxPreps handled out of state games.

One practical issue that would complicate annual promotion/relegation is that most (but not all) non-district games are scheduled on a two-year, home-and-home contract.  Potentially would create scheduling variables that would make it difficult on coaches/ADs trying to put together a schedule and project game revenue.  Argues for a two-year cycle for promotion/relegation.

Totally eliminating district games complicates scheduling based on travel distance and opponent avoidance.  Doing away with districts was tried recently in 1A-4A, and now there is strong sentiment to bring back districts in 1A-4A for these very reasons.

In any event, the outcome of the Board of Directors meeting tomorrow will determine what the 2022 season will look like in terms of classifications.

6 hours ago, Dr. D said:

One practical issue that would complicate annual promotion/relegation is that most (but not all) non-district games are scheduled on a two-year, home-and-home contract.  Potentially would create scheduling variables that would make it difficult on coaches/ADs trying to put together a schedule and project game revenue.  Argues for a two-year cycle for promotion/relegation.

Totally eliminating district games complicates scheduling based on travel distance and opponent avoidance.  Doing away with districts was tried recently in 1A-4A, and now there is strong sentiment to bring back districts in 1A-4A for these very reasons.

In any event, the outcome of the Board of Directors meeting tomorrow will determine what the 2022 season will look like in terms of classifications.

I don’t know we’re you get this strong sentiment to bring back districts most teams in 1A do not want districts and a lot of teams are talking about pulling out if they did come back

Do the promotion thing every 2 years to alleviate schedule home and away. Use 2 year composite of record or last 4 years and move up top 20% and drop the bottom 20% from each division. Within 8 years you would have true competitive balance. 

Teams dropping out of FHSAA for football and playoffs will be side effect of keeping current set up or passing metro plan so the FHSAA better have something real that will move the super cheater recruiting teams and privates in same top division or it will be a mass exodus real quick.  I would expect many break off leagues like when South Florida did tri county league. 

8 hours ago, Tigerskin said:

I don’t know we’re you get this strong sentiment to bring back districts most teams in 1A do not want districts and a lot of teams are talking about pulling out if they did come back

First, I said that it was the sentiment to bring back districts in 1A through 4A.  According to FHSAA documents, when Section 2 football coaches were polled, the majority were in favor of bringing districts back to 1A-4A.  More importantly, the Football Advisory Committee voted 9-0 in favor of this proposal at their January meeting.  Presumably these 9 coaches represent the views of the coaches in their respective Section (although I guess that could be argued).  I do not know if the move to bring back districts is supported specifically by a majority of 1A coaches.  But I stand by my statement as applies to 1A-4A.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

First, I said that it was the sentiment to bring back districts in 1A through 4A.  According to FHSAA documents, when Section 2 football coaches were polled, the majority were in favor of bringing districts back to 1A-4A.  More importantly, the Football Advisory Committee voted 9-0 in favor of this proposal at their January meeting.  Presumably these 9 coaches represent the views of the coaches in their respective Section (although I guess that could be argued).  I do not know if the move to bring back districts is supported specifically by a majority of 1A coaches.  But I stand by my statement as applies to 1A-4A.  

Correct.  Besides, districts should be standard across the board.  

20 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Somehow I doubt they will be calling me anytime soon, I offered critiques on a week to week basis on the RPI/Power Rankings (as I couldn't get my numbers to match with theirs due to out of state games), they basically told me to bugger off. I stopped doing the math after several weeks, but I know it had to do with how MaxPreps handled out of state games.

No sense waiting for that call, looks like the verdict is in and your plan has been "RELEGATED" to the file for later analysis. :lol:

6 hours ago, Dr. D said:

Well I stand by my statement also the majority of 1A Teams do not want districts, well the Advisory Committee thinks the majority of the state is behind the Metro/Suburban when it’s more like a 60 - 40 split across the state.