Cocoa playing their toughest game Week 2

KeemD321

42 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence because it's fake grass.   B)

Transferring can be helpful given the circumstance each player is individually in and should take the totality of these factors into account.  Our back-up QB from two years ago (20-21) had an outstanding summer (21-22) with a 7v7 team primarily with receivers from Cocoa, Rockledge, etc.... Despite that, was still relegated to the backup role behind Chad (not making a judgement whether this was right or wrong) knowing he had the ability to play for someone at the next level.  His family decided to move him to an Orange county school (Freedom) where he would start and get some kind of exposure his senior year and that proved to be a good decision; despite moving from an upper tier football program to a mediocre one.  He has secured a scholarship with Webber University, which can lead to more exposure and then use the college portal to upgrade himself in a subsequent year.  He has the prototypical size, 6'3",  great arm as he pitches and plays 1st base on our HS baseball team, as well as a good runner with very good grades.   I have mentioned him before in some transfer threads, as he transferred back to OHS in the second semester to finish his HS varsity career in baseball where his father is the HC and he has graduated with his teammates (he was born and raised locally to be a Kowboy).

5 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Transferring can be helpful given the circumstance each player is individually in and should take the totality of these factors into account.  Our back-up QB from two years ago (20-21) had an outstanding summer (21-22) with a 7v7 team primarily with receivers from Cocoa, Rockledge, etc.... Despite that, was still relegated to the backup role behind Chad (not making a judgement whether this was right or wrong) knowing he had the ability to play for someone at the next level.  His family decided to move him to an Orange county school (Freedom) where he would start and get some kind of exposure his senior year and that proved to be a good decision; despite moving from an upper tier football program to a mediocre one.  He has secured a scholarship with Webber University, which can lead to more exposure and then use the college portal to upgrade himself in a subsequent year.  He has the prototypical size, 6'3",  great arm as he pitches and plays 1st base on our HS baseball team, as well as a good runner with very good grades.   I have mentioned him before in some transfer threads, as he transferred back to OHS in the second semester to finish his HS varsity career in baseball where his father is the HC and he has graduated with his teammates (he was born and raised locally to be a Kowboy).

QB's and kickers.  I understand why the kids who are sitting the bench behind a starter,  but who can play these positions at a high enough level to be a starter on another team, might consider transferring. 

On 6/5/2022 at 11:52 PM, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

The kid is 6'4 and has a bethune offer. Maybe thats the reason for the transfer. In todays world, being a 6'4 qb is pretty hard to go unnoticed with the social media and the 7 on 7 scene. His twitter transfer post is depictive of the the way things are now. He clearly stated that the school staff and coaches helped him become a better student, athlete and person. That seems like everything you would want as a parent for your kid but they still felt the need to transfer. He also stated that his teammates were there everyday for him. Again, seems like everything you would want as a parent. But they still chose to transfer and leave his teammates that have been there for him everyday. 

So it looks like Cocoa underclassman QB that was 2nd string has transferred to Titusville. So he'll be playing against them in district play. 

But if anyone is interested in seeing transfer movement in Brevard here ya go.

http://www.321recruits.com/transfer-update-2020/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 2:27 AM, KeemD321 said:

That is true. One thing I have noticed throughout this early 7on7 season is that he was part of an orlando based 7on7 squad that had alot of players from Brevard on it including Cocoa, Rockledge, and Eau Gallie players. Along with an abundance of Orlando players as well. 

Cocoa's previous QB was 6'5 215ish and took a PWO to Ole Miss

I was at the Seabreeze vs Winter Park Spring game expecting to see an offensive battle with two of the higher rated QB's in Central Florida. Blake Boda did not look impressive going "3 and out" on Seabreeze's first four possessions. At the half, WP was up 20-0, clearly outplaying Seabreeze on both sides of the ball. At 27-7, early in 3rd quarter, WP pulled almost all of their varsity players. Final score was 34-14. Blake was not the best QB on the field that night. He should have a stronger supporting cast at Cocoa, but it makes you wonder if the Seabreeze HC is still hyping Blake as "the best QB in Central Florida", now that Blake has moved down the road. 

22 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I was at the Seabreeze vs Winter Park Spring game expecting to see an offensive battle with two of the higher rated QB's in Central Florida. Blake Boda did not look impressive going "3 and out" on Seabreeze's first four possessions. At the half, WP was up 20-0, clearly outplaying Seabreeze on both sides of the ball. At 27-7, early in 3rd quarter, WP pulled almost all of their varsity players. Final score was 34-14. Blake was not the best QB on the field that night. He should have a stronger supporting cast at Cocoa, but it makes you wonder if the Seabreeze HC is still hyping Blake as "the best QB in Central Florida", now that Blake has moved down the road. 

Cocoa has been playing in a few 7on7 tournaments at college camps being runner up in one losing by a small margin and losing in the final four of another on the last play. His supporting cast is definitely a major upgrade at Cocoa with speed and alot of length at the WR position. Also the defense will be lights out again with the secondary running the show again.

Cocoa and Rockledge basically been trading/swapping out DLinemen and Linebackers with each other and both receiving a few players back from Holy Trinity with their head coach stepping down. 

The Sophmore that transferred to Titusville apparently transferred out well before Boda transferred in.

1 hour ago, KeemD321 said:

Cocoa has been playing in a few 7on7 tournaments at college camps being runner up in one losing by a small margin and losing in the final four of another on the last play. His supporting cast is definitely a major upgrade at Cocoa with speed and alot of length at the WR position. Also the defense will be lights out again with the secondary running the show again.

Cocoa and Rockledge basically been trading/swapping out DLinemen and Linebackers with each other and both receiving a few players back from Holy Trinity with their head coach stepping down. 

The Sophmore that transferred to Titusville apparently transferred out well before Boda transferred in.

Transferring to Cocoa, he should definitely see an upgrade in the talent around him. The guys in the trenches are going to be very important. In 7v7, it's basically a passing drill with no one in your face, so it's hard to draw too much from 7v7 college camps; same goes for "all-star" teams playing 7v7 in the off-season. There's not a lot of parity in local tournaments. With tackle football, it usually comes down to how the QB reacts under pressure when under a pass rush from opposing DL's and LB's

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Transferring to Cocoa, he should definitely see an upgrade in the talent around him. The guys in the trenches are going to be very important. In 7v7, it's basically a passing drill with no one in your face, so it's hard to draw too much from 7v7 college camps; same goes for "all-star" teams playing 7v7 in the off-season. There's not a lot of parity in local tournaments. With tackle football, it usually comes down to how the QB reacts under pressure when under a pass rush from opposing DL's and LB's

Glad that you have come around to my way of thinking when it comes to 7v7 tournaments translating to great success in 11 man football since last summer.  Some coaches actually believe that it is  detrimental to the development of a QB although it is beneficial for WR's and DB's.

8 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Glad that you have come around to my way of thinking when it comes to 7v7 tournaments translating to great success in 11 man football since last summer.  Some coaches actually believe that it is actually detrimental to the development of a QB although it is beneficial for WR's and DB's.

Glad that you have come around to my way of thinking when it comes to 7v7 tournaments translating to great success in 11 man football. It seems that, in this day and age, most teams are looking for athletic QB's that can throw a strike at 50 yards and also pull the ball down and pick up valuable yardage on the ground. It's hard to evaluate a kid's scrambling ability watching him stand in the pocket in a 7v7 game; same goes for the Twitter videos of a kid throwing to a lone receiver 20 yards down field. The true test of a QB's ability can only be seen when he has to play under pressure of a "real" football game. 

On 6/25/2022 at 3:05 PM, Ray Icaza said:

Glad that you have come around to my way of thinking when it comes to 7v7 tournaments translating to great success in 11 man football since last summer.  Some coaches actually believe that it is  detrimental to the development of a QB although it is beneficial for WR's and DB's.

I know in some of the bigger all star tournaments they actually allow a limited number of blitzes per game to go along with the time limit they have to throw. But as you've stated correctly that doesn't compare to actual pressure coming at them every down.

52 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

I know in some of the bigger all star tournaments they actually allow a limited number of blitzes per game to go along with the time limit they have to throw. But as you've stated correctly that doesn't compare to actual pressure coming at them every down.

There is no threat of physical contact, no real attempt to avoid it so no idea what the pocket presence will be when having to deal with that.  On top of that, they have a much clearer field of vision to make their reads. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

There is no threat of physical contact, no real attempt to avoid it so no idea what the pocket presence will be when having to deal with that.  On top of that, they have a much clearer field of vision to make their reads. 

7 on 7 is a tool.  For good coaches, it's a great developmental tool for skill players, just like the weight room is a tool.  7 on 7 is a great way for QB's, WR's and DB's to get passing game reps.    Good coaches have to balance the desire to win 7 on 7 games/tournaments (which, in turn, can give kids confidence) with the goal of improving their teams for when "real football" starts.  

10 minutes ago, Perspective said:

7 on 7 is a tool.  For good coaches, it's a great developmental tool for skill players, just like the weight room is a tool.  7 on 7 is a great way for QB's, WR's and DB's to get passing game reps.    Good coaches have to balance the desire to win 7 on 7 games/tournaments (which, in turn, can give kids confidence) with the goal of improving their teams for when "real football" starts.  

Very good analogy, it is a tool and as I indicated in my humble opinion it is helpful for WR's and DB's and many coaches believe (not my analysis) that it can be detrimental for QB's.  A hammer is also a tool, but not very useful when you need a wrench.

33 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Very good analogy, it is a tool and as I indicated in my humble opinion it is helpful for WR's and DB's and many coaches believe (not my analysis) that it can be detrimental for QB's.  A hammer is also a tool, but not very useful when you need a wrench.

In a way if used correctly it can help improve a QB's ability to read coverage schemes, work on timing of routes and ability to work through their progressions more efficiently to the right reads.

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Lmao but when those blitzes are available for use they come with a vengeance. Lmao just look at the highlights from the Overtime OT7 tournament championship between Cam Newton's 7v7 and SFE. 

9 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

In a way if used correctly it can help improve a QB's ability to read coverage schemes, work on timing of routes and ability to work through their progressions more efficiently to the right reads.

I said my piece and admit I am no expert, so will leave it at that as I have no more to add to this topic. 

5 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

It's a different world when you have 5 OL's and 4 DL's, with large bodies, going at it right in front of the QB. In 7v7, the QB usually has a clear, unobstructed view of the field. and he has four seconds to get rid of the ball. A Pro Style QB under 6 foot tall can be very successful in 7v7 because he can see the whole field. There's a reason why most of the top HS QB's are 6'3" or taller and dual threat; they have a better view of the entire field and can find their receivers over the middle.

Well it looks like the biggest domino for Holy Trinity has fallen after they got rid of their head coach. They just hired Merritt Island former head coach Hurlie Brown after a short stint at Prarie View A&M. 

But they just lost their best player both offensive and defensive. His older brother graduated from Cocoa after 2020 and that's where he just ended up transferring to. Cocoa's offense may very well be more dynamic and more efficient than last season.

This transfer was actually predictable after Holy Trinity had Coach Hooks relieved of his duty. 

He is now at Cocoa as well as the passing coordinator and associate head coach.