Coach Pay

gatorman-uf

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Staying clear of this discussion as I sense political undertones and don't need more warnings.  Time will tell.

Well to be fair any discussion on coaches pay is gonna have political undertones to it simply because of how it's set at a state legislature level or county leadership level not a individual school or FHSAA level 

It's certainly relevant to football but it's nearly impossible to keep this topic going minus showing off an article from time to time without eventually getting to the elephant in the room with this topic 

On 3/9/2022 at 6:07 PM, Captain Morgan said:

The problem with the pay in Florida falls with the school board for the counties. Take Alachua county for example, let’s say Hawthorne is fully committed to football and want to pay a lot of money. They have to get creative and give the coach summer hours, or drivers Ed ect to up his pay. They can’t just say the football coach gets paid 85,000 and he teaches PE. If they did then every other school in Alachua county would have to pay the same amount. That’s why you see the larger salaries in Florida from single county schools or counties with 2-3 schools only. Georgia is primarily one county schools such as Lowndes or Colquitt. They only have to pay 1 head coach. You don’t have 6-8 schools that could care less about football getting paid the same amount. Texas is the same way, most of their school districts have only a few schools. 

sure....but they also dont have the student population to help fund schools, as well as the people population to fund the schools or the property taxes to fund schools.

a small county with 1 school elem, middle and senior high schools, has a small population.  the hs with 2k kids can pay their coach whatever whatever because its only 1.

sure, great argument, but its flawed and wrong.

vast majority of those same 1 horse counties pay those head football coaches with a supplement AND the boosters raise the rest of it to offset.  so the funds dont come right from the school district.  therefore, when boosters get mad, (rush propst), they can go to school board and vote that guy out....because they help pay.

texas is a bit different, but the property taxes there in those small 1 horse school districts are so insanely expensive to live in, and the actual infrastructure is awful.  they rather pay a fb coach 90k, have turf football field and a jumbo tron, than have roads and sidewalks and pavement and street drainiage, signage, etc.  

those guys get paid there 12 months, but they also go 4-16 in 2 seasons and get kicked to the curb, even tho no real players, small lineman, new system, etc.  board dont care, bring in a new guy he can fix it.  

texas also is the open transfer policy, if you move/provide an address, you can play wherever you want.  with little to no questions.

ive said for long time, fla coaches want to get paid, but be careful what you wish for.  when you get several hands in the pot to help stir, they all want a say so. 

cant imagine if booster club president didnt like that we ran the ball on 3rd and goal and didnt pass it and settled for a fg and lost by 2, and he goes to ad who is cousin to the school board member of the distrcit and brother to the principal.  and coach is in the office on monday (or coffee shop saturdays) explaining his reasoning on why he made that call to a room full of non football/football wannabes becasue they watch it on saturdays.

be carefull what you wish for....  thats reality in texas, georigia, south carolina, alabama....

On 3/10/2022 at 11:01 AM, Floridaatlantic1 said:

The pay for head coaches and assistants are similar in the big sports that have long seasons. They reduce the pay according to length of season. Still not fair that a football spends a million hours and gets paid same as bowling coach practically. This would be a union issue for sure if they paid the fb coach alot more than other sports. 

that is incorrect.

and the school board/unions could care less about supplemental pay.  they are worried more about the actual teacher and asst. teacher pay than a coach.

fb coach makes more than other coaches in most every county.  their season is how long?  11 weeks of games plus 2 more weeks of practice to get ready, so 13 weeks? .  wrestling coach season is longer easily 16 weeks, baseball is longer (jan to may), track is longer (jan to may).

bowling guy here dont make as much as the volleyball coach, or the football coach.  

7 hours ago, h8r said:

that is incorrect.

and the school board/unions could care less about supplemental pay.  they are worried more about the actual teacher and asst. teacher pay than a coach.

fb coach makes more than other coaches in most every county.  their season is how long?  11 weeks of games plus 2 more weeks of practice to get ready, so 13 weeks? .  wrestling coach season is longer easily 16 weeks, baseball is longer (jan to may), track is longer (jan to may).

bowling guy here dont make as much as the volleyball coach, or the football coach.  

Good football coaches and their staff are usually engaged with their players that don't participate in other sports year round.  If they are good coaches, usually playoff games are in the equation which adds another 2 to 5 weeks to their season plus another 4 weeks required for spring ball.   If a good wrestling coach has a team 2 deep for all weight divisions he is overseeing 24 kids with a small staff.  Most FB teams have double the number of kids as well as numerous more staff to hire, train, supervise, etc.. Plus we are a football state so winning is important to almost any team and without it you are replaced.  That pressure isn't quite the same with most minor sports, so yeah lots of reasons to pay FB coaches more money than other coaches.

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Good football coaches and their staff are usually engaged with their players that don't participate in other sports year round.  If they are good coaches, usually playoff games are in the equation which adds another 2 to 5 weeks to their season plus another 4 weeks required for spring ball.   If a good wrestling coach has a team 2 deep for all weight divisions he is overseeing 24 kids with a small staff.  Most FB teams have double the number of kids as well as numerous more staff to hire, train, supervise, etc.. Plus we are a football state so winning is important to almost any team and without it you are replaced.  That pressure isn't quite the same with most minor sports, so yeah lots of reasons to pay FB coaches more money than other coaches.

How many states don't consider themselves football states? Alaska? Maine? Vermont? New Hampshire? I am willing to bet nearly 40 states consider football to be their primary high school sport.

How much do we consider fair for a coach to earn as both a teacher and head football coach (staff of 9 others), including any supplements available for coaching other sports? 
Just as a note, the average teacher salary in Florida is $51.1K with the state legislature/governor trying to force districts to have a $47.5K as a starting salary. I stay away from the politics of that.

As for athlete to student ratio, I find it is usually 10 to 1 on average across most sports (or at least that's the goal of most districts).

6 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

How many states don't consider themselves football states? Alaska? Maine? Vermont? New Hampshire? I am willing to bet nearly 40 states consider football to be their primary high school sport.

How much do we consider fair for a coach to earn as both a teacher and head football coach (staff of 9 others), including any supplements available for coaching other sports? 
Just as a note, the average teacher salary in Florida is $51.1K with the state legislature/governor trying to force districts to have a $47.5K as a starting salary. I stay away from the politics of that.

As for athlete to student ratio, I find it is usually 10 to 1 on average across most sports (or at least that's the goal of most districts).

Add $20,000 dollars to the coaches’ salary at base and an additional $10,000 for each sport they are involved in. Only fair that they get at least “decent” pay because they play such an instrumental role in the development of these young men and women to be the leaders of the next generation. I put “decent” in quotations because I do not believe that there is any right or wrong answer to this question, but coaches do need to have larger salaries for what they do.

22 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina and several others are more known for basketball.  Others like New York, Mass., New Jersey, Rhode Island, Maryland, etc...probably consider football most important but if you talk strictly high school how many teams do they have in top 250 in the country.  In any event, nowhere did I say a HS football state rather a state that has dominant youth teams, HS teams, colllege teams and enough interest to field a couple of pro teams.  That was my intended reference as a football STATE.  Which of your 40 can claim that? 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:57 PM, Ray Icaza said:

Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina and several others are more known for basketball.  Others like New York, Mass., New Jersey, Rhode Island, Maryland, etc...probably consider football most important but if you talk strictly high school how many teams do they have in top 250 in the country.  In any event, nowhere did I say a HS football state rather a state that has dominant youth teams, HS teams, colllege teams and enough interest to field a couple of pro teams.  That was my intended reference as a football STATE.  Which of your 40 can claim that? 

Maryland and New Jersey has several nationally ranked teams each 

On 3/19/2022 at 3:36 PM, Ray Icaza said:

I think maybe you misinterpreted my post.

Im not arguing that wrestling coaches should get paid more (even though every coach should get paid more) than football coaches for a longer season,

i was arguing to the post that the length of season dictates the pay scale.

any idea why they moved back the wrestling season by 2 to 3 weeks and now runs all the way to end of feb, early march?

because of those lengthy play off runs that football teams are having and those 160 and up kids are football players.

they go hand in hand.  and pressure for all coaches in all sports, regardless.

you pay football coaches more because of all that is entailed with football.  larger gates, more kids(for majority of schools), more staff, more parents to deal with, along with 10k other things.  friday nights and wins and coaching are the things that coaches enjoy doing and are the good part of the job.  the off the field has turned into more and more things CEO related now.  thats why they should get paid more...

• 3 weeks later...

I meant most supplements are based on actual length of season. Some sports coaches get paid differently according to what sport they coach. and yes the union would care about supplemental salaries. The cross country coach would wig out if the FB supplement was 25k and his was 3k. If you dont think so, go to any faculty meeting at a school or union meeting. 

Some of these people trip out over a minute or two shorter planning period. The natives would burn down the school board building if a FB made what he deserves plus teaching salary.