Get rid of districts

Hwy17

3 team districts are a joke and now we got some 2 team districts thanks to yesterday.  So you go 1-9 and qualified for playoffs? That's dumb. For the last few years the smaller classes didn't have districts so we know kinda how that can work in all classes. Let's get rid districts, play whoever you want or form a conference to have a title to shoot for. Determine playoffs by RPI, maxpreps ranking or whatever. May say you have to play at least half your schedule against teams in your own class or higher? IDK.  What's y'all thoughts?

4 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

3 team districts are a joke and now we got some 2 team districts thanks to yesterday.  So you go 1-9 and qualified for playoffs? That's dumb. For the last few years the smaller classes didn't have districts so we know kinda how that can work in all classes. Let's get rid districts, play whoever you want or form a conference to have a title to shoot for. Determine playoffs by RPI, maxpreps ranking or whatever. May say you have to play at least half your schedule against teams in your own class or higher? IDK.  What's y'all thoughts?

Agree completely, if you can't configure them to have a minimum of 4-5 teams then scrap them completely.  It is obvious that having to win one game to get into the playoffs is ludicrous; or even 2.   There are definitely some better alternatives that the FHSAA can implement within the boundary of "School Choice".  Maybe next year they can work on that part of it.  

5 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

I definitely agree. That would also hold teams more accountable for who they schedule and allow for some better games all around. Yes there will still be teams trying to have a schedule full of middling teams and cupcakes. But eventually with a ranking and point system formula that focuses on strength of schedule, teams expected rank at the beginning of the season and how teams are ranked based on their play during the season. That should work it's way out in the long run and actually force schools to compete and challenge themselves in order to be ranked favorably in power rankings for playoff spots.

42 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

I definitely agree. That would also hold teams more accountable for who they schedule and allow for some better games all around. Yes there will still be teams trying to have a schedule full of middling teams and cupcakes. But eventually with a ranking and point system formula that focuses on strength of schedule, teams expected rank at the beginning of the season and how teams are ranked based on their play during the season. That should work it's way out in the long run and actually force schools to compete and challenge themselves in order to be ranked favorably in power rankings for playoff spots.

I agree with most of your post, but not sure I agree with the complete removal of districts. They should be comprised of no fewer than 4 teams with the winner making it to the playoffs and the runner-ups having an outside chance based on strength of schedule and season performance. 

1 minute ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I agree with most of your post, but not sure I agree with the complete removal of districts. They should be comprised of no fewer than 4 teams with the winner making it to the playoffs and the runner-ups having an outside chance based on strength of schedule and season performance. 

Hear me out, playing and competing for a district champ as a means of qualifying for the playoffs is something I favor. That said, anything fewer than 4 teams in a district isn't worth having. IMHO 5 to 7 teams is ideal.  Back when I was in high school we had 8 teams in our district on only the district champ got to move on. With this new format I think we should get rid of them all together. If not, perhaps consolidate so there are 3 districts per region, which has been done before but some complained about travel. 

38 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Its not districts that are the problem. It that we have too many divisions. Scrap dumb suburb/ matro plan and go back to 6 divisions like the nold days and bring back wild cards for crazy stacked districts and problem solved. But then crappy teams wont get to claim fake state titles then i guess

I agree that there may be issues with the system, but, at the end of the day, we're talking about high school kids, man. You can hate the FHSAA...hate the ADs...but the kids have are just going out and playing games against the teams on their schedule. The good Suburban teams will still be good, the bad Metro teams will still be bad. Nothing changes on that end.

The biggest complaints I hear seem to be from the Metro teams anyway because they have to go through each other now instead of being split up into 8 classes. Will teams like Lakeland, Osceola, Mainland, etc that have had a tough time getting over the hump benefit? Yes. But ultimately, I don't think I'd call any State Championship a "Fake" State Championship. 

44 minutes ago, Coach said:

I agree that there may be issues with the system, but, at the end of the day, we're talking about high school kids, man. You can hate the FHSAA...hate the ADs...but the kids have are just going out and playing games against the teams on their schedule. The good Suburban teams will still be good, the bad Metro teams will still be bad. Nothing changes on that end.

The biggest complaints I hear seem to be from the Metro teams anyway because they have to go through each other now instead of being split up into 8 classes. Will teams like Lakeland, Osceola, Mainland, etc that have had a tough time getting over the hump benefit? Yes. But ultimately, I don't think I'd call any State Championship a "Fake" State Championship. 

It's the same dude who claims his school doesn't get transfers yet won't say who 

My guess is that school actually does get transfers but by not saying who I can't just research and disprove it 

Just like a Riverside coach claimed they didn't get transfers on Twitter even though I could have easily disproven him but he's probably one of the coaches who out there texting parents to tell kids to come there, after all they got a kid from another county at the position he coaches over there 

1 hour ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Its not districts that are the problem. It that we have too many divisions. Scrap dumb suburb/ matro plan and go back to 6 divisions like the nold days and bring back wild cards for crazy stacked districts and problem solved. But then crappy teams wont get to claim fake state titles then i guess. 

And that will fix the transfer problem? Exactly it won't but hey Dillard fan we should ask why you all gotten more DFB kids on your roster than STA and Cardinal Gibbons combined but think those are the cheaters 

The FHSAA should never went to 8 and now 9 divisions. It was fine with 6 divisions and yes the same teams won most of the titles juist like today and nobody whined because you had to be great to win a state title. The districts were not 2-3 teams and their were a few wild cards to make playoffs if you were in a stacked district.  The FHSAA just caters to a few people from Lakeland whose state legislature blew up any real competition by pushing for total open enrollment so her team would be good again when they could recruit. led to super recruit teams which gave us this crazy suburb plan that creates two levels in football. The elite Metro and the lower minor leagues except for the 2-3 teams that will win all those titles now and lead to same state champs in all 9 divisions. same problem they are whining about now.

47 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

The FHSAA should never went to 8 and now 9 divisions. It was fine with 6 divisions and yes the same teams won most of the titles juist like today and nobody whined because you had to be great to win a state title. The districts were not 2-3 teams and their were a few wild cards to make playoffs if you were in a stacked district.  The FHSAA just caters to a few people from Lakeland whose state legislature blew up any real competition by pushing for total open enrollment so her team would be good again when they could recruit. led to super recruit teams which gave us this crazy suburb plan that creates two levels in football. The elite Metro and the lower minor leagues except for the 2-3 teams that will win all those titles now and lead to same state champs in all 9 divisions. same problem they are whining about now.

If you seriously think there's only 2-3 good teams in the suburban classes then I have doubts you know enough about the state to have football discussions as outside of maybe Cocoa I don't see a clear cut favorite in any of the suburban classes but if you are so good why don't you show up in August to do a top 50 like I will be and see if you know half as much about the state as you think you do 

Predictions for the WIDE open anyone from any division can win the Fake State title in the FHSAA Suburban. Spin the wheel to see who wins each year. Oh wait- it will be these for the next 2 years for sure unless a miracle happens.

Hey maybe we can do a third split and go rural too and have 14 divisions after these teams roll the next two years to the second rate champ title. We can one team districts then . Everyone gets a trophy. I am sure they will somehow place Polk county into a rural district like they did to make them Suburban. What a joke. 

4S- Venice /Lakeland or Osceola

3S- Mainland or Naples wins easily

2s- Cocoa for sure

1s- Victory Christian

1R Madison 

Here are suburban winners. 

14 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Predictions for the WIDE open anyone from any division can win the Fake State title in the FHSAA Suburban. Spin the wheel to see who wins each year. Oh wait- it will be these for the next 2 years for sure unless a miracle happens.

Hey maybe we can do a third split and go rural too and have 14 divisions after these teams roll the next two years to the second rate champ title. We can one team districts then . Everyone gets a trophy. I am sure they will somehow place Polk county into a rural district like they did to make them Suburban. What a joke. 

2s- Cocoa for sure

1s- Victory Christian

1R Madison 

All them teams are great and will win a real state championship.  Nothing is fake dude.  Metro will be trinity christian or chaminade,  any miami school,  or Broward school.  Victory christian won't win easily though,  I'll check 3s because panhandle could have someone. 

26 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

2s- Cocoa for sure

1s- Victory Christian

1R Madison 

Last time mainland played Columbia in the playoffs they lost and that Columbia team started the season 0-5 so would they really need a miracle to beat Mainland if they are closer to their 2018 or 2019 teams?

That's not even considering pine forest who played Jesuit this past year better than MNW did or Escambia who was a state runner up 3 years ago or Lincoln who returns a bit of talent 

And that's just region 1, I know a saw a good team or two with Mainland in region 2 

So assuming Mainland steamrolls the north when you have no idea what any of those teams brings back just shows you didn't research anything and are talking out of your ass 

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Last time mainland played Columbia in the playoffs they lost and that Columbia team started the season 0-5 so would they really need a miracle to beat Mainland if they are closer to their 2018 or 2019 teams?

That's not even considering pine forest who played Jesuit this past year better than MNW did or Escambia who was a state runner up 3 years ago or Lincoln who returns a bit of talent 

And that's just region 1, I know a saw a good team or two with Mainland in region 2 

So assuming Mainland steamrolls the north when you have no idea what any of those teams brings back just shows you didn't research anything and are talking out of your ass 

Trinity Catholic is great in 2s with victory Christian.  Yeah Niceville is in 4s with Lakeland and Venice Niceville is a great program.  Pine Forest will be good and yeah Columbia can win state now, Cocoa is the favorite, but baker County,  Wakulla,  solid  it could be wide open in all classes except 1A rural with Madison.  Now that I see the classes set. This plan might actually work . Yes the 1s and 1A rural, metro might be boring, but other classes could be upsets. 

38 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

2s- Cocoa for sure

1s- Victory Christian

1R Madison 

Let’s assume for a minute that your JV/fake title theory Is a valid premise.  Do you think the players, coaches, and fans at North Dakota St. (FCS), Ferris State (Division II), or Mary Hardin-Baylor (Division III) took any less pride or celebrated their NCAA football title any less enthusiastically than those of Georgia.  They are all champions at their level, differentiated by funding, resources, coaching, fan support, recruiting base, institutional emphasis, etc.  So now you are talking about high school teams, the vast majority of whom will never win a title, but just want to play and compete with teams of a similar profile.  It's not all about the top 2 or 3 teams in a classification.  Sorry your team got screwed in the realignment; lots of teams were getting screwed in the previous system.  Life's not always fair.  The FHSAA is a democracy whether you like it or not, and the results are what they are.  Maybe it will be different in two years

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Trinity Catholic is great in 2s with victory Christian.  Yeah Niceville is in 4s with Lakeland and Venice Niceville is a great program.  Pine Forest will be good and yeah Columbia can win state now, Cocoa is the favorite, but baker County,  Wakulla,  solid  it could be wide open in all classes except 1A rural with Madison.  Now that I see the classes set. This plan might actually work . Yes the 1s and 1A rural, metro might be boring, but other classes could be upsets. 

1M will be what 3a was 2 years ago

TCA vs Chaminade Madonna

I haven't digged deep into the regions to break it down yet since I'm still in spring sports mode but I'm sure once I dive into it come June I'll see several interesting matchups 

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

1M will be what 3a was 2 years ago

TCA vs Chaminade Madonna

I haven't digged deep into the regions to break it down yet since I'm still in spring sports mode but I'm sure once I dive into it come June I'll see several interesting matchups 

Also dont sleep on vanguard they known to make deep runs.

13 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Back to the topic at hand, why bother having districts if there are only 2 or 3 teams? Just go open class like the smaller classes have done these past few years.

I have felt that as of late districts are basically just methods for helping teams fill schedules 

A lot of these small districts are the result of teams running independent because they aren't able to game the system 

If they remove districts they better reduce the number of required games because it's gonna be tough for certain teams to fill 10 game schedules as teams in their area refuse to play them 

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I have felt that as of late districts are basically just methods for helping teams fill schedules 

A lot of these small districts are the result of teams running independent because they aren't able to game the system 

If they remove districts they better reduce the number of required games because it's gonna be tough for certain teams to fill 10 game schedules as teams in their area refuse to play them 

My past experience was just the opposite. One time we got put in a 4 team district while the surrounding districts had 5 teams and it became really hard to find a game because of it. So it works both ways. The way I see it, anything less than 4 teams isn't a district. 

43 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

My past experience was just the opposite. One time we got put in a 4 team district while the surrounding districts had 5 teams and it became really hard to find a game because of it. So it works both ways. The way I see it, anything less than 4 teams isn't a district. 

If teams didn't go independent so easily we wouldn't have districts less than 4 

I drew up a system that used the same idea the current metro/suburban did and I didn't have any districts with less than 4

15 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If teams didn't go independent so easily we wouldn't have districts less than 4 

I drew up a system that used the same idea the current metro/suburban did and I didn't have any districts with less than 4

Combine the districts, 3 districts per region then.