Early season title game predictions

DisabledAccount

Well in the larger classes you have basically a large school all star team to deal with in every class. 4A Booker T, 5A American Heritage, 6A Central, 7A STA. Not complaining but those schools are drawing from the most talent rich place in the USA and it shows. Jacksonville pools their talent to TCA, they win championships. Tampa used to pool their talent to Armwood and Plant, they won championships. The only cities in North Fla large enough to do this are Jacksonville or Tallahassee. Tallahassee doesn't have enough athletes to support several schools. Godby was getting kids a few years ago and they were in Orlando. Bottom line is you better get some talent to your program if you want to win the whole thing.

Well in the larger classes you have basically a large school all star team to deal with in every class. 4A Booker T, 5A American Heritage, 6A Central, 7A STA. Not complaining but those schools are drawing from the most talent rich place in the USA and it shows. Jacksonville pools their talent to TCA, they win championships. Tampa used to pool their talent to Armwood and Plant, they won championships. The only cities in North Fla large enough to do this are Jacksonville or Tallahassee. Tallahassee doesn't have enough athletes to support several schools. Godby was getting kids a few years ago and they were in Orlando. Bottom line is you better get some talent to your program if you want to win the whole thing.

Remember the late 90s? Columbia was the only school in the county and we had all the pull in the area and we had one of most dominate runs in north Florida history and 97 we came 3 points away from beating the number 1 team in nation, hard to say that only 2 cities can pull talent, if you take the talent of a entire county and put them with great coaching you can win and I think that has been proven before

Yes, I saw that team and Columbia is a quality program but that was 20 years ago and teams weren't pooling talent anything like they do today. All that being said Columbia still didn't have enough to win it all and probably won't anytime soon the way things are set up. Madison Co and Glades Central are the only schools that are somewhat separated from large cities that have been able to compete at higher level classifications. You look at Columbia, great history, quality coaching, drawing from a talented county. Haven't made the state championship in 20 years and usually only good enough to get to the 2nd round. While you look at places like Carol City, Northwestern, Central, or BTW. All have had times of dominance in the last 20 years. Primarily because of the talent deciding to go there mixed with good coaching.

To be fair this past year we went back to final 4 when all the talk I heard before the season was washed up and in decline and 5-5 season and we go 12-2 and 1 game from another state championship appearance so it shows we can still flip a switch and still contend and that trip to states is coming soon, a TON of potential and talent on the roster right now and coaches who put HOURS every day into the program, beilive me, we will go back to state, and it will be sooner rather then later 😉

To be fair this past year we went back to final 4 when all the talk I heard before the season was washed up and in decline and 5-5 season and we go 12-2 and 1 game from another state championship appearance so it shows we can still flip a switch and still contend and that trip to states is coming soon, a TON of potential and talent on the roster right now and coaches who put HOURS every day into the program, beilive me, we will go back to state, and it will be sooner rather then later

Forget states...The problem for Columbia seems to be getting through Regionals.   My question is how does Columbia get to Regionals 12 times and only get to states 3 times? Columbia is 3-9 in Regional appearances.  I understand Lakeland in the past was a hell of a roadblock but right now Columbia is fortunate to be in 7A North.  I would think they can take advantage of it.  When your ticket to 2015 7A states is Viera it may not get much easier than that for a while.

Having 69 winning seasons, 20 seasons with 10 wins plus,  and 20 District Championships - only been to states 3 times without ever winning....I think Columbia needs to consider flipping a different switch this year.

Forget states...The problem for Columbia seems to be getting through Regionals. My question is how does Columbia get to Regionals 12 times and only get to states 3 times? Columbia is 3-9 in Regional appearances. I understand Lakeland in the past was a hell of a roadblock but right now Columbia is fortunate to be in 7A North. I would think they can take advantage of it. When your ticket to 2015 7A states is Viera it may not get much easier than that for a while.

Having 69 winning seasons, 20 seasons with 10 wins plus, and 20 District Championships - only been to states 3 times without ever winning....I think Columbia needs to consider flipping a different switch this year.

First off we do have a win and second we will take that viera experience and turn it into a fire to push us to a state appearance

First off we do have a win and second we will take that viera experience and turn it into a fire to push us to a state appearance

Okay.  After looking closer at the Columbia accolades in yellow font ( you might want to fix that font all over)  I do see Columbia had a 1967 Class A State Championship.  My point is 7A North is pretty weak right now.  Columbia is fortunate  Niceville went to 6A and Osceola went to 8A. Lincoln, Plant, and Lakeland have been down the last few years.  The window of opportunity was there last year.  

Also perhaps beat game we played all year was one we we picked to lose by 2 tds and on the road (Bolles) so maybe having a suppossivily easy final 4 (viera) hurt us more then help, so having a tougher game and it being on road might not be a bad thing

Best game for Columbia at Bolles?  Probably.  At the end of the day, Viera was actually the best team that Columbia played last year, not Bolles - whether you want to believe it or not.  Viera does not have the name or tradition of Bolles but in late season 2015 Viera would likely have beat Bolles by double digits IMO.  Both Columbia and Viera where playing hot and a slight talent edge to Columbia.  I would have thought Columbia would have a huge big game edge as well but they apparently took  a top 30 FL team too lightly.  Viera was not a pushover to get to states but just think of the usual 7A North Regional suspects that are either in another class or way down last year.  Niceville, Osceola, Lakeland and Plant.  If Osceola was still 7A last year, would you agree they would have won 7A North again?

Osceola probley would have but we don't have to worry about them, and yeah we probley took them too lightly, all the talk around the town and school was STA and Orlando not viera, so probley overlooked them, and had we had someone like Lakeland or plant we probley wouldn't have looked ahead, probley same reason we lost to escambia and saint Augustine and Lincoln and bartram trail and ed white in past few years really all the losses have that in common point being our window hasent closed and we have as good a chance to go to states this year as last year if not better this year to go

Hard to believe you guys overlooked someone in the state semis and haven't been to the state championship game in 20 years. It's not like that was common place for the program to be there. Unfortunately for schools like Columbia that may be the ceiling with the new transfer rules. The county may have only so much talent and with no one to gain elite talent from you guys may be topping out with no way to get better. While everyone else us getting better by getting transfers.

Hard to believe you guys overlooked someone in the state semis and haven't been to the state championship game in 20 years. It's not like that was common place for the program to be there. Unfortunately for schools like Columbia that may be the ceiling with the new transfer rules. The county may have only so much talent and with no one to gain elite talent from you guys may be topping out with no way to get better. While everyone else us getting better by getting transfers.

We got 2 transfers last year and guess what else, Suwannee county, baker county, Hamilton county, get the idea? Open transfer rules means we can grab people from next county if needed and our recent sucess Esspecially with being the best in the area at sending people to the college level with nearly 40 players in past 5 years, can you name me any school in the rural areas who has done better? So we will get people transferring in because they know they do good here they go to college and we had 2 transfers last year and sure we probley will get some after success last season

Columbiafan, the few kids you may get is NOTHING compared to the kids they get in S Fla. The kids that transfer to Columbia are trying to go to Valdosta St, the kids transferring to STA are going to Alabama. See the difference?? Suwannee, Hamilton and Baker combined may have 2-3 D1 kids on all of their rosters combined, and you aren't getting those guys. Even if you did that's not enough compared to the S Fla guys unfortunately. I glanced at the transfer thread and saw in the last 2 weeks STA has gotten a 3 and 4 star player transfer in and That's not going back to January. It's like they are shopping at the grocery store to prepare dinner and you are shopping at the 7/11. Which dinner will be better??

Columbiafan, the few kids you may get is NOTHING compared to the kids they get in S Fla. The kids that transfer to Columbia are trying to go to Valdosta St, the kids transferring to STA are going to Alabama. See the difference?? Suwannee, Hamilton and Baker combined may have 2-3 D1 kids on all of their rosters combined, and you aren't getting those guys. Even if you did that's not enough compared to the S Fla guys unfortunately. I glanced at the transfer thread and saw in the last 2 weeks STA has gotten a 3 and 4 star player transfer in and That's not going back to January. It's like they are shopping at the grocery store to prepare dinner and you are shopping at the 7/11. Which dinner will be better??

amen couldn't have said it better

Its the same "7-11" guys we got back in 97 and we came 3 points from a championship, seems like your underestimating the talent that we get lol

You don't get it sorry. Yes you had one go to Tenn this past year. Not the point, these other schools have 5 kids going to Tenn. The fact that you are propping up a team from 1997 that didn't even win reinforces everything I am trying to say.

The point was we wasn't getting 10-20 d1 athletes then and it was enough to come within 3 points of a title, are you saying that STA is that much better then that Carol city team?

Columbia is in the unenviable position of being a rural 7A school. It does make it tough to compete for titles with the schools that can recruit.  On the plus side with a school with that kind of community support you can raise the money needed to hire quality coaches and keep state of the art training facilities. You will always be successful and be in the hunt for titles when the cards fall right and that's more than 90% of schools could hope for. 

Columbia is in the unenviable position of being a rural 7A school. It does make it tough to compete for titles with the schools that can recruit. On the plus side with a school with that kind of community support you can raise the money needed to hire quality coaches and keep state of the art training facilities. You will always be successful and be in the hunt for titles when the cards fall right and that's more than 90% of schools could hope for.

We have been getting state of art facilities as of late and our coaches work 6-7 days a week to put us in best position to win so you summed it up perfectly

We have been getting state of art facilities as of late and our coaches work 6-7 days a week to put us in best position to win so you summed it up perfectly

That is exactly what you will have to do to get to that next level. Columbia has a rich tradition and lots of talent but you are at a disadvantage to teams that can recruit.  Get everyone(Coaches, Players, Administration,and Community) to buy in to the fact that to contend you are going to have to work harder than any of your competitors and not settle for less than the top.  If you can cherry-pick your players it's less difficult to win but you guys will have to develop elite players and that starts with your youth league coaches being in sync with your high school coaches.  The good news is y'all  a very close.