DILLARD WiLL BE PLAYING A WEEK 1 NATIONALLY TELEVISED GAME.

THIS_IS_DILLARD

12 hours ago, Perspective said:

I don't know what the big deal is about Venice's schedule.   Best I can tell, they play half of their district games on the road.  B)

VIF, you might want to consider changing your signoff from "LFG" to "LFS," because it appears you'll be 'staying' a lot more than 'going.' 

We will get more away games next year. Don't know why it happened this way this year.

All kidding aside, a couple of thoughts popped into my mind about the Venice schedule:

1.  Based on the way the playoffs are currently done, Venice could literally play all of its games, regular and playoffs, at home, with the exception of one regular season game and then the state championship game.  And if they are deemed the "home" team in the championship game, they will have worn their road white jerseys a grand total of one time the entire season. 

2.  Unless folks just get tired of going to a Venice home game every week of the season (except one), the Venice athletic coffers should look pretty darn good come December. 

3.  From a player's standpoint, playing all your games at home may not necessarily be a good thing.   There's something to say about road trips, bus rides, and showing up at somebody's else's stadium and quieting an amped-up crowd with a couple of early scores on your way to a big win on their field (followed by the bus ride back to school).  Venice kids won't get that experience. 

4.  Venice is in a three-team district.  Unless and until that changes, they'll have exactly one district game at home and one district game on the road every year.  The location of all other games played is up to the Venice coach. 

5.  How many of the remaining eight games that Venice is playing this year are part of a 'home and home' series? I will absolutely guaranty you that Venice isn't playing nine road games next year.   Will Venice have to breach the 'home and home' deals?  Or is Venice raking in enough at its home games that it can afford to share some of its gate proceeds with visiting teams as a means of luring them in?  

6.  Road games provide challenges for all all associated with a team (players, coaches, managers, film/camera guys, trainers, band, parents, etc.).  It's hard to work out the kinks when you only have to travel once.   Overcoming obstacles builds character and gives a team confidence that it can win any game any where.   I could actually see the lack of road games coming back to haunt Venice if they make it to the championship game. 

OK, that's all I've got.  I'll just have to remember that we've have this conversation in a "Dillard thread" next season when schedules come out again.  ;)

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

All kidding aside, a couple of thoughts popped into my mind about the Venice schedule:

1.  Based on the way the playoffs are currently done, Venice could literally play all of its games, regular and playoffs, at home, with the exception of one regular season game and then the state championship game.  And if they are deemed the "home" team in the championship game, they will have worn their road white jerseys a grand total of one time the entire season. 

2.  Unless folks just get tired of going to a Venice home game every week of the season (except one), the Venice athletic coffers should look pretty darn good come December. 

3.  From a player's standpoint, playing all your games at home may not necessarily be a good thing.   There's something to say about road trips, bus rides, and showing up at somebody's else's stadium and quieting an amped-up crowd with a couple of early scores on your way to a big win on their field (followed by the bus ride back to school).  Venice kids won't get that experience. 

4.  Venice is in a three-team district.  Unless and until that changes, they'll have exactly one district game at home and one district game on the road every year.  The location of all other games played is up to the Venice coach. 

5.  How many of the remaining eight games that Venice is playing this year are part of a 'home and home' series? I will absolutely guaranty you that Venice isn't playing nine road games next year.   Will Venice have to breach the 'home and home' deals?  Or is Venice raking in enough at its home games that it can afford to share some of its gate proceeds with visiting teams as a means of luring them in?  

6.  Road games provide challenges for all all associated with a team (players, coaches, managers, film/camera guys, trainers, band, parents, etc.).  It's hard to work out the kinks when you only have to travel once.   Overcoming obstacles builds character and gives a team confidence that it can win any game any where.   I could actually see the lack of road games coming back to haunt Venice if they make it to the championship game. 

OK, that's all I've got.  I'll just have to remember that we've have this conversation in a "Dillard thread" next season when schedules come out again.  ;)

Northwestern is reciprocating the trip from last year, so no harm or hard feelings are present on either side of those coaching staffs. I am not sure which parts of the schedule are home and home series, but you are correct that district games will flip every year unless Venice is relocated into a larger district next year. (And rightfully as they should, 3 team districts help nobody.) 

Road games are a lot of fun, and the kids don’t get to have the experience of playing in someone else’s stadium. It’s going to sting because the seniors aren’t getting the fun of bus rides to away games or the experience needed of traveling. If they make it to the 4A suburban state championship, I think it’s going to feel uncomfortable because they will have to travel 3 hours to Fort Lauderdale to play in front of a hostile crowd. It could definitely poorly affect the way they play.

My final thoughts are these: having 9 home games reflects poorly on your program because it makes you seem unwilling to travel and in need of Home Field Advantage. That shouldn’t be the case, but unfortunately it seems that way this year. Maybe Venice could afford to travel out of state in 2023 or at least have 4 or 5 away games with all of the money they will make from home ticket sales this season.  But I don’t like having all of those home games that reflect poorly on your program. They’re unnecessary.

34 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Northwestern is reciprocating the trip from last year, so no harm or hard feelings are present on either side of those coaching staffs. I am not sure which parts of the schedule are home and home series, but you are correct that district games will flip every year unless Venice is relocated into a larger district next year. (And rightfully as they should, 3 team districts help nobody.) 

Road games are a lot of fun, and the kids don’t get to have the experience of playing in someone else’s stadium. It’s going to sting because the seniors aren’t getting the fun of bus rides to away games or the experience needed of traveling. If they make it to the 4A suburban state championship, I think it’s going to feel uncomfortable because they will have to travel 3 hours to Fort Lauderdale to play in front of a hostile crowd. It could definitely poorly affect the way they play.

My final thoughts are these: having 9 home games reflects poorly on your program because it makes you seem unwilling to travel and in need of Home Field Advantage. That shouldn’t be the case, but unfortunately it seems that way this year. Maybe Venice could afford to travel out of state in 2023 or at least have 4 or 5 away games with all of the money they will make from home ticket sales this season.  But I don’t like having all of those home games that reflect poorly on your program. They’re unnecessary.

Not just this year, last year also with 2 away games and all playoffs due to ranking system at home also.  Seems like quite an advantage, but sure it hasn't crossed the coaches mind.:D

On 4/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I am very glad that Miami Northwestern decided to reciprocate the trip to Venice this year. Also thank you to the IMG coaching staff for such gracious flexibility in changing the week 1 to week 0. I hope it remains on ESPN for what will (hopefully) be a great game.

Week 0- IMG

Week 1- Miami NW

Week 2- Naples

Week 3- Bye

Week 4- St. Frances 

Week 5- Sanford Seminole

Week 6- @ Riverview

Week 7- Chaminade-Madonna

Week 8- Sarasota

Week 9- Palmetto

Week 10- IMG Varsity

Week 11- Clearwater Academy International

LFG!!!

Man that is as hard a schedule as you can possibly make in this state.

• 2 weeks later...