Preseason top 25 large classes (5-8A)

DisabledAccount

Does apopka still runs that funny offense?

This year, Apopka's offense will look more like 2012 than 2013-2015. Yes, the Single Wing will still be a part of their package. But you will also see a spread package and possibly some power I. Apopka's chief weakness, as far as I can tell, is that we won't have a true Quarterback ready from day one. With that said, I think Burch's arm is going to be better and there are two kids in reserve that have good potential. 

Unless Apopka has some serious players that recently transferred in,  I just don't them that high.  If they are that good next to the listed teams above they are a top National 50 team. Period.

We don't have any serious transfers in. What we have are players that will bring a season or more's experience to the table; that and no real weakness except, possibly, at Quarterback. I expect this year's Apopka team to be one of their best ever, right up there with 2001 and 2012, and would be disappointed if they don't make a deep, December run.

The only thing I see stopping this is if they don't gel as a team. If they do, the talent is there to win the State title. We have our best secondary since 2001, a solid replacement for Martez Ivey on the offensive line; good, experienced line backers and a solid defensive front. On the skill side of the offense, we have a stable of backs that should pile on the yards and a few kids that can catch it. I really feel good about Apopka's chances this year, and am glad that we are not highly touted entering the season. 

We don't have any serious transfers in. What we have are players that will bring a season or more's experience to the table; that and no real weakness except, possibly, at Quarterback. I expect this year's Apopka team to be one of their best ever, right up there with 2001 and 2012, and would be disappointed if they don't make a deep, December run.

The only thing I see stopping this is if they don't gel as a team. If they do, the talent is there to win the State title. We have our best secondary since 2001, a solid replacement for Martez Ivey on the offensive line; good, experienced line backers and a solid defensive front. On the skill side of the offense, we have a stable of backs that should pile on the yards and a few kids that can catch it. I really feel good about Apopka's chances this year, and am glad that we are not highly touted entering the season. 

It is looking like it could be shaping up as a 3 team race down here -  Southridge, Columbus and Deerfield Beach.   Flanagan with maybe a puncher's chance.  Miramar has been sliding back and lost players  to Miami Central and STA this spring/summer.  Piper, Palm Beach Gardens, and Boca Raton return with decent programs.

It is looking like it could be shaping up as a 3 team race down here -  Southridge, Columbus and Deerfield Beach.   Flanagan with maybe puncher's chance.  Miramar has been sliding back and lost players  to Miami Central and STA this spring/summer.  Piper, Palm Beach Gardens, and Boca Raton return with decent programs.

Assuming Apopka makes it to the title game would love to see them take on Southridge. That is a team with some history that has not been dominant in awhile. Back in the 1990s Southridge was elite.Does Flanagan still have Bush as HBC? Even if they don't look the part now, I think he is a good coach and I would not be surprised if they had another deep playoff run. 

Assuming Apopka makes it to the title game would love to see them take on Southridge. That is a team with some history that has not been dominant in awhile. Back in the 1990s Southridge was elite.Does Flanagan still have Bush as HBC? Even if they don't look the part now, I think he is a good coach and I would not be surprised if they had another deep playoff run. 

Agree.  Apopka and Southridge would make for a nice one!   Southridge clearly has the most 8A talent on paper in the south region but do they have the experience of a Columbus, Flanagan or Apopka in the playoffs?

Coach Bush moved on to the University of Michigan along with his son and two other Flanagan players.  3 year Defensive Coordinator Stanford Samuels Jr was promoted to Head Coach at Flanagan.  Flanagan lost about 30 Seniors and 21 college level players.  2016 Flanagan will be led by Samuels son ( 5 * CB Stanford Samules III) and a few other D1 caliber players.  I think you are correct with Flanagan.  Coach Samuels will keep the Flanagan physical style of play going in full force and come playoffs this could be a dangerous team to a favorite like Deerfield Beach, Columbus or Southridge.  The one thing Flanagan appears to have done very well that other talented public schools always struggle with is hold onto their players.  Miramar on the other hand appeared to be on a rebound year but lost a few star players to Miami Central and STA.

My Top 25:

1) St. Thomas Aquinas

2) MIA Central

3) AHP 

4) Deerfield Beach

5) Flanagan

6) Columbus

7) West Orange

8) Plant City

9) Columbia

10) Niceville

11) Naples

12) Dwyer

13) Boyd Anderson

14) Braden River

15) Plant

16) Manatee

17) University Orange City

18) Southridge

19) Venice

20) Braden River

21) Boca Raton

22) Belen Jesuit

23) Mainland

24) Lakeland

25) Vero Beach

NEXT FIVE (NO ORDER): Cardinal Gibbons, Coconut Creek, Piper, Mater Academy, Hallandale

My Top 25:

1) St. Thomas Aquinas

2) MIA Central

3) AHP

4) Deerfield Beach

5) Flanagan

6) Columbus

7) West Orange

8) Plant City

9) Columbia

10) Niceville

11) Naples

12) Dwyer

13) Boyd Anderson

14) Braden River

15) Plant

16) Manatee

17) University Orange City

18) Southridge

19) Venice

20) Braden River

21) Boca Raton

22) Belen Jesuit

23) Mainland

24) Lakeland

25) Vero Beach

NEXT FIVE (NO ORDER): Cardinal Gibbons, Coconut Creek, Piper, Mater Academy, Hallandale

Surprised no Armwood but that a good list there ðŸ˜

FL 5A - 8A

STA

Miami Central 

Southridge

AHP

Mainland

Carol City

Armwood

Apopka

Northwestern

Deerfield Beach

Columbus

Dr. Phillips

Dwyer

West Orange

Lakeland

University Orange City

Boyd Anderson

Flanagan

Mandarin

Plant City

Navarre

Sandalwood

Miramar

Osceola -Kissimmee

Niceville

Others of notice (Bishop Moore, Columbia, Plant, Lake Brantley, Piper, Boca Raton, Fort Pierce Central, PB Gardens, Tampa Jesuit, Kathleen, Mater Academy, Bartram Trail, Pine Forest, Miami Jackson, Sebastian River, Killian, Vero Beach, Venice, Coral Gables, Viera, Charlotte, Braden River, Dillard, Fort Myers)

STA

Miami Central 

Southridge

AHP

Mainland

Carol City

Armwood

Apopka

Northwestern

Deerfield Beach

Columbus

Dr. Phillips

Dwyer

West Orange

Lakeland

University Orange City

Boyd Anderson

Flanagan

Mandarin

Plant City

Navarre

Sandalwood

Miramar

Osceola -Kissimmee

Niceville

Others of notice (Bishop Moore, Columbia, Plant, Lake Brantley, Piper, Boca Raton, Fort Pierce Central, PB Gardens, Tampa Jesuit, Kathleen, Mater Academy, Bartram Trail, Pine Forest, Sebastian River, Killian, Vero Beach, Venice, Coral Gables, Charlotte, Braden River, Fort Myers)

Boca Raton is a big sleeper they can easily enter playoff 9-1 or 10-0