The Greatest Game Ever: Game of Inches?

Nulli Secundus

You know what it is.  Another 2006 Lakeland/STA debate, lol.  Personally, I think the game sucked but the finish was dynamic to say the least.  Apparently other news outlets disagree and put together a 16 minute documentary with coach and player perspectives.  You be the judge.  

1 hour ago, Nulli Secundus said:

You know what it is.  Another 2006 Lakeland/STA debate, lol.  Personally, I think the game sucked but the finish was dynamic to say the least.  Apparently other news outlets disagree and put together a 16 minute documentary with coach and player perspectives.  You be the judge.  

It never should have been a tied ball game; Lakeland got way too complacent up 35-7 and STA saw some daylight and pounced. Overall a boring game marred by Lakeland mistakes that let STA back with a chance to win in overtime. Crazy final sequence in the 4th quarter and overtime for STA to have a chance.

Snake, you had to go there.......Exactly one week before, in your house, my Mainland Bucs were down 29-24 in the 4th quarter with Lakeland facing 3rd down on their own 44 yrd line (2:51 on clock) when Chris Rainey ripped off a Daytona heartbreaker ( his 3rd TD ) and scored from 56 yrds out. Chris finished with 334 yrds rushing ). The game was sloppy at times, but athletes were all over the field. It was the Brighthouse (Cable) game of the week....if interested game below. Both teams are 13-0. 

That same year, on 10/27 we held a narrow 3 point lead late in the 4th quarter when  Chris Rainey ripped off a 70+ yard run for a TD and the winning margin of 7-3 in our house.  Athletes all over the field as well, but in my opinion their D-lineman John Brown was the best player and the difference maker as a major distruptive force against our O-line.  What a game, but I did travel to Lakeland to witness the game you described and it was also epic.  Trying to remember who the littlest guy that played for Mainland as a running back was that year as he put on one of the gutsiest performances I have ever witnessed. 

13 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

That same year, on 10/27 we held a narrow 3 point lead late in the 4th quarter when  Chris Rainey ripped off a 70+ yard run for a TD and the winning margin of 7-3 in our house.  Athletes all over the field as well, but in my opinion their D-lineman John Brown was the best player and the difference maker as a major distruptive force against our O-line.  What a game, but I did travel to Lakeland to witness the game you described and it was also epic.  Trying to remember who the littlest guy that played for Mainland as a running back was that year as he put on one of the gutsiest performances I have ever witnessed. 

Ray,  Andra Williams #3 (soph) played the game of his life. Until I viewed the replay it had slipped my memory. Mainland had a committee of running backs that year both big and small. Mainland ran for almost 300 yrds against the Dreadnaughts. Lakeland had a great team but Chris Rainey was the difference maker that night against us and your Kowboys (Oct 27) 7-3, Kathleen (Nov 3) 29-26, and STA (Dec 8) 45-42 in double OT for the championship. The week before STA needed 2 OT's to beat Manatee in the semi's 36-29. 5A was loaded with quality teams in 2006. Yes John Brown got all the hype in the press but didn't play a particularly great game against our undersized O-linemen. I often wondered what became of him at the next level and beyond. Most thought he was a can't miss prospect.  

2 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Ray,  Andra Williams #3 (soph) played the game of his life. Until I viewed the replay it had slipped my memory. Mainland had a committee of running backs that year both big and small. Mainland ran for almost 300 yrds against the Dreadnaughts. Lakeland had a great team but Chris Rainey was the difference maker that night against us and your Cowboys (Oct 27) 7-3, Kathleen (Nov 3) 29-26, and STA (Dec 8) 45-42 in double OT for the championship. The week before STA needed 2 OT's to beat Manatee in the semi's 36-29. 5A was loaded with quality teams in 2006. Yes John Brown got all the hype in the press but didn't play a particularly great game against our undersized O-linemen. I often wondered what became of him at the next level and beyond. Most thought he was a can't miss prospect.  

Went to FL Gators with group know as the GatorNaughts, but had personal issues and never made it onto the field.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:07 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

It never should have been a tied ball game; Lakeland got way too complacent up 35-7 and STA saw some daylight and pounced. Overall a boring game marred by Lakeland mistakes that let STA back with a chance to win in overtime. Crazy final sequence in the 4th quarter and overtime for STA to have a chance.

Meant to write 28 instead.