Teams you probably never heard of

nolebull813

Franklin County - 

Carrabelle (1930-2006)

Apalachicola (1929-2006)

Both teams merged to form Franklin County  High 

Anneewakee High in Carrabelle (1981-1986)

Gadsden County 

Quincy Shanks (1919-2002)

Havana Northside (1978-2002)

Both merged to form East Gadsden 

Greensboro (1971-2003)

Chattahoochee (1925-2003)

Both merged to form West Gadsden 

Leon County 

Maranatha Christian (1977-1994)

Wakulla County - 

Sopchoppy High (1940-1941 six man football) (1947-1966 eleven man football)

Crawfordville High (1939-1942 six man football) (1949-1966 eleven man football)

both merged to form Wakulla County High in 1967

Madison County - 

Greenville High (1924-1979)

Madison High (1920-1979)

both merged to form Madison County High 

I played baseball vs Pensacola Christian and football vs Apalachicola.  Also left off Century from the panhandle.

3 stories from my life vs these three teams.

Football - we were getting on the bus to go play Apalachicola who believe it or not was ranked #1 in the state and we were 1-5 at the time.  The Principal came on the bus and said I just want you guys to have fun and not get embarrassed.  Well we went to Apalachicola and upset them.  The coach at Apalachicola at the time was Coach Shaw Maddux.  I would later in life coach with him at Osceola. 

Baseball - we were playing Panama City Christian.   They had no fence and the school was in deep left field.  I hit a ball probably the farthest I've ever hit one.  I admired it forgetting they had no fence.  It one hopped the school.  I got thrown out at third.  The coach was not happy with me. 

I have one about Century as well.  My dad was the head coach in football in the early to mid 1980's and Century was a big rival.  After a close heated game that Century lost some guys out of the stands came onto the field and started a huge brawl between the teams.  Fans got involved and It got real ugly.  One of the worst brawls I've ever seen.  Now I was young at the time but there were lots of people left bloody after it.  Also lost my last high school baseball game at Century.  I think it was Buck Showalter (former MLB player and manager) field maybe not but he went to Century.

4 hours ago, badbird said:

I played baseball vs Pensacola Christian and football vs Apalachicola.  Also left off Century from the panhandle.

3 stories from my life vs these three teams.

Football - we were getting on the bus to go play Apalachicola who believe it or not was ranked #1 in the state and we were 1-5 at the time.  The Principal came on the bus and said I just want you guys to have fun and not get embarrassed.  Well we went to Apalachicola and upset them.  The coach at Apalachicola at the time was Coach Shaw Maddux.  I would later in life coach with him at Osceola. 

Baseball - we were playing Panama City Christian.   They had no fence and the school was in deep left field.  I hit a ball probably the farthest I've ever hit one.  I admired it forgetting they had no fence.  It one hopped the school.  I got thrown out at third.  The coach was not happy with me. 

I have one about Century as well.  My dad was the head coach in football in the early to mid 1980's and Century was a big rival.  After a close heated game that Century lost some guys out of the stands came onto the field and started a huge brawl between the teams.  Fans got involved and It got real ugly.  One of the worst brawls I've ever seen.  Now I was young at the time but there were lots of people left bloody after it.  Also lost my last high school baseball game at Century.  I think it was Buck Showalter (former MLB player and manager) field maybe not but he went to Century.

Yeah Century and Ernest Ward (Walnut Hill) merged to form Northview in 96

16 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Yeah Century and Ernest Ward (Walnut Hill) merged to form Northview in 96

My junior year we got into a fight with Ernest Ward in football.  Now a days everyone would be suspended for 6 games.  No one was ejected lol.  The game had a few minutes left and they just ended the game.  

12 hours ago, badbird said:

My junior year we got into a fight with Ernest Ward in football.  Now a days everyone would be suspended for 6 games.  No one was ejected lol.  The game had a few minutes left and they just ended the game.  

Did any of the leather helmets get damaged? Obviously there were no face masks then, so did each team try to gouge the other teams player's faces?