Rockledge @ Jones

KeemD321

Turned out to be a pretty good game. Jones won by a touchdown after being up 2 scores. Jones sealed the deal with a last second interception in the end zone. The game can be viewed on the VSN Florida YouTube channel. 

Also Rockledge definitely has the playmakers to make it to state this season. They have a few more transfers I didn't know they had til watching the game. Picked up Sophmore to be RB from Holy Trinity who made a few plays. Also got a DLineman from Cocoa who had an abundance of playing time at Cocoa and is starting on the line at Rockledge now. Making some big plays in the game.

3 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Turned out to be a pretty good game. Jones won by a touchdown after being up 2 scores. Jones sealed the deal with a last second interception in the end zone. The game can be viewed on the VSN Florida YouTube channel. 

Also Rockledge definitely has the playmakers to make it to state this season. They have a few more transfers I didn't know they had til watching the game. Picked up Sophmore to be RB from Holy Trinity who made a few plays. Also got a DLineman from Cocoa who had an abundance of playing time at Cocoa and is starting on the line at Rockledge now. Making some big plays in the game.

A lot of crazy things can happen in the spring game that you do not necessarily expect in the regular season. I’m glad to hear that Rockledge’s roster is loaded and back to what it should be. Sounds like they already had a good class returning even before transfers, so they should be set and ready to make a run at the 2A championship. If what you have said so far is true, than don’t even sweat the loss as you know the Raiders will be good and have an awesome season. 

Also, Happy Memorial Day, and thank you for your service, @KeemD321. Too often, we take our service members for granted and do not really show them the appreciation they deserve; especially considering everything that they stand for and protect. Thank you to all those on this board (if any others,) whom served in the US forces. Your contributions to this nation and sacrifices do not go unnoticed by any decent person. 

4 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

A lot of crazy things can happen in the spring game that you do not necessarily expect in the regular season. I’m glad to hear that Rockledge’s roster is loaded and back to what it should be. Sounds like they already had a good class returning even before transfers, so they should be set and ready to make a run at the 2A championship. If what you have said so far is true, than don’t even sweat the loss as you know the Raiders will be good and have an awesome season. 

Also, Happy Memorial Day, and thank you for your service, @KeemD321. Too often, we take our service members for granted and do not really show them the appreciation they deserve; especially considering everything that they stand for and protect. Thank you to all those on this board (if any others,) whom served in the US forces. Your contributions to this nation and sacrifices do not go unnoticed by any decent person. 

Thanks I really appreciate it. 

Offensively Rockledge gave up 2 fumbles and 2 interceptions. The 2 fumbles led to immediate points. 

They were trying to get things going on the ground but the pass game eventually got going. With the transfer receiver getting 170 yards and 3TDs. Their defense was pretty stout besides giving big passing touchdowns in the first half with blown coverage. All in all good game and Jones is explosive on offense and the defense is lights out. Looking forward to that week 1 match up with Cocoa. 

Cocoa also has to replace their LB and DB coaches.

42 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Thanks I really appreciate it. 

Offensively Rockledge gave up 2 fumbles and 2 interceptions. The 2 fumbles led to immediate points. 

They were trying to get things going on the ground but the pass game eventually got going. With the transfer receiver getting 170 yards and 3TDs. Their defense was pretty stout besides giving big passing touchdowns in the first half with blown coverage. All in all good game and Jones is explosive on offense and the defense is lights out. Looking forward to that week 1 match up with Cocoa. 

Cocoa also has to replace their LB and DB coaches.

They will be fine. If they’ve some new players on offense, the coaching staff just needs to teach them ball security. Fumbles, INTS, drops, etc. are all coachable mistakes. The Spring game says a lot, but it also doesn’t tell the whole story. A lot can change in 3 months. I’m honestly excited for the season to start myself. I can’t wait to see if Venice can start off hot and get wins over Miami NW and St. Frances, or if they falter in the first few weeks with a bunch of new players on offense. I will be there for all of those games without a doubt. 

Out of curiosity, who do you root for when Cocoa and Rockledge play each other? 

56 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

They will be fine. If they’ve some new players on offense, the coaching staff just needs to teach them ball security. Fumbles, INTS, drops, etc. are all coachable mistakes. The Spring game says a lot, but it also doesn’t tell the whole story. A lot can change in 3 months. I’m honestly excited for the season to start myself. I can’t wait to see if Venice can start off hot and get wins over Miami NW and St. Frances, or if they falter in the first few weeks with a bunch of new players on offense. I will be there for all of those games without a doubt. 

Out of curiosity, who do you root for when Cocoa and Rockledge play each other? 

Rockledge. Family divided lol I was the only one out of my immediate family to go to Rockledge and the first of my cousins. 

21 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Is Rockledge in the Suburban league?

50 minutes ago, Jullian said:

Is Rockledge in the Suburban league?

Yes Brevard County is Suburban. I believe they are 3S and Cocoa is 2S. With Viera and Melbourne being 4S. Rockledge will have to battle it out with Merritt Island for district which I see them getting their revenge for last seasin.

Cocoa has an easy streak in district with Palm Bay, Space Coast, Titusville and Astronaut.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:15 PM, KeemD321 said:

Yes Brevard County is Suburban. I believe they are 3S and Cocoa is 2S. With Viera and Melbourne being 4S. Rockledge will have to battle it out with Merritt Island for district which I see them getting their revenge for last seasin.

Cocoa has an easy streak in district with Palm Bay, Space Coast, Titusville and Astronaut.

That’s Great! I personally like the 3 divisions. Hope the Raiders have loaded up! 

8 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Lmao I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. Both teams did.

A respected participant on this forum has said he thought it was illegal to play in the regular varsity season and then play at a different school for the Spring Game.  Don't know if this is correct or not but do know most teams do it anyway. 

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

A respected participant on this forum has said he thought it was illegal to play in the regular varsity season and then play at a different school for the Spring Game.  Don't know if this is correct or not but do know most teams do it anyway. 

I've seen that as well. And noticed teams have been doing that for quite some time now. Honestly I feel like there's no harm in it. It would be a different story if the student transferred during the season and started playing for the school they transferred to in the regular season.

Well, when it doubt, look it up.  Here's what the FHSAA manual says about this:

Administrative Policies

18.2  Spring Football Practice
18.2.1 Spring Football practice is a continuation of the regular fall football season. Consequently, a student who transfers schools must meet the provisions in Bylaw 9.3.2.

Bylaws:

9.3.2 Transfer Eligibility. A student who transfers from one school to another will be eligible at the new school provided the student qualifies under one of the following:

9.3.2.1 Transfer before Starting a Sport. A student who has not started a sport may seek to immediately join an existing team if the roster for the specific interscholastic or intrascholastic extracurricular activity has not reached that activity’s identified maximum size, provided the coach for the activity determines that the student has the requisite skill and ability to participate  (§ 1006.15(9)(a), F.S.). The student may not be declared ineligible because the student did not have the opportunity to comply with
qualifying requirements.

9.3.2.2 Transfer after Starting a Sport. A student may not participate in a sport if the student participated in that same sport at another school during that school year, unless the student meets one of the following criteria (§ 1006.15(9)(b), F.S.):
(a) Dependent children of active duty military personnel whose move resulted from military orders.
(b) Children who have been relocated due to a foster care placement in a different school zone.
(c) Children who move due to a court-ordered change in custody due to separation or divorce, or the serious illness or death of a custodial parent.
(d) Authorized for good cause in district, private or charter school board policy.

So, whether it's the right rule or not and whether schools and/or districts follow the rules or not, my interpretation of the policies and bylaws seems to indicate that if a kid played football at School A in the fall and then transfers into School B after the Christmas break, he cannot play spring football at School B unless he meets one of the specific exceptions. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Well, when it doubt, look it up.  Here's what the FHSAA manual says about this:

Administrative Policies

18.2  Spring Football Practice
18.2.1 Spring Football practice is a continuation of the regular fall football season. Consequently, a student who transfers schools must meet the provisions in Bylaw 9.3.2.

Bylaws:

9.3.2 Transfer Eligibility. A student who transfers from one school to another will be eligible at the new school provided the student qualifies under one of the following:

9.3.2.1 Transfer before Starting a Sport. A student who has not started a sport may seek to immediately join an existing team if the roster for the specific interscholastic or intrascholastic extracurricular activity has not reached that activity’s identified maximum size, provided the coach for the activity determines that the student has the requisite skill and ability to participate  (§ 1006.15(9)(a), F.S.). The student may not be declared ineligible because the student did not have the opportunity to comply with
qualifying requirements.

9.3.2.2 Transfer after Starting a Sport. A student may not participate in a sport if the student participated in that same sport at another school during that school year, unless the student meets one of the following criteria (§ 1006.15(9)(b), F.S.):
(a) Dependent children of active duty military personnel whose move resulted from military orders.
(b) Children who have been relocated due to a foster care placement in a different school zone.
(c) Children who move due to a court-ordered change in custody due to separation or divorce, or the serious illness or death of a custodial parent.
(d) Authorized for good cause in district, private or charter school board policy.

So, whether it's the right rule or not and whether schools and/or districts follow the rules or not, my interpretation of the policies and bylaws seems to indicate that if a kid played football at School A in the fall and then transfers into School B after the Christmas break, he cannot play spring football at School B unless he meets one of the specific exceptions. 

So you must be my "Mystery Respected Participant" and thanks for the clarification.  So it is clearly against the rules but then what is the enforcement/penalty for doing so?

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

So you must be my "Mystery Respected Participant" and thanks for the clarification.  So it is clearly against the rules but then what is the enforcement/penalty for doing so?

Also what is deemed authorized for good cause? Seems like the grey area that schools and districts may be using.

8 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Also what is deemed authorized for good cause? Seems like the grey area that schools and districts may be using.

Can't agree with you on using that angle.  You can't really believe all the teams across the state that played 1 to 5 players that transferred in actually submitted a request to the FHSAA and were granted the "Authorization".  Not criticizing teams that did that, including us but my guess is the lack of enforcement is the "Gray Area" you are grasping for. 

13 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Can't agree with you on using that angle.  You can't really believe all the teams across the state that played 1 to 5 players that transferred in actually submitted a request to the FHSAA and were granted the "Authorization".  Not criticizing teams that did that, including us but my guess is the lack of enforcement is the "Gray Area" you are grasping for. 

Oh trust me I know they aren't sending in requests. There's no enforcement and that would mean that the FHSAA would have to keep track of rosters and Maxpreps would have to verify rosters as well.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, KeemD321 said:

Rockledge has a legit chance to make it to and win State 

KeemD, a casual viewing of Class 3 Suburban, Region 3 confirms your optimism (state Regional final at a minimum). Though out-of-the-loop for several years, if currents trends prevail (29 yr consecutive playoff qualifier) there is a school to your north via I-95 (68.7 miles) that "may" play a part in Rockledge's title aspirations. One with any Florida high school football knowledge this century would note Region 3's fifteen members doesn't contain a "murder's row" or "Region of death" with an abundance of powerhouse programs. The region is just the opposite......very weak. With Dade out of the way, the sky's the limit. Good luck to Rockledge (somewhat waffling) and all the Brevard teams. Always a fan here to your north.     

8 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

KeemD, a casual viewing of Class 3 Suburban, Region 3 confirms your optimism (state Regional final at a minimum). Though out-of-the-loop for several years, if currents trends prevail (29 yr consecutive playoff qualifier) there is a school to your north via I-95 (68.7 miles) that "may" play a part in Rockledge's title aspirations. One with any Florida high school football knowledge this century would note Region 3's fifteen members doesn't contain a "murder's row" or "Region of death" with an abundance of powerhouse programs. The region is just the opposite......very weak. With Dade out of the way, the sky's the limit. Good luck to Rockledge (somewhat waffling) and all the Brevard teams. Always a fan here to your north.     

I agree with you, Dan, and I would also like to add that it seems there is more satisfaction with the Metro/Suburban split than some on this board realize. So far, it seems to be a bit more balanced than the previous RPI system, with only 1A rural remaining mostly in tact. I think that the new system will foster less playoff blowouts and more competition with more schools playing teams of their size and relative competitive ability. 

On 6/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, Dan in Daytona said:

I'm looking forward to that likely matchup. When I played that would always be our spring matchup. It was always a fun one.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:47 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I agree with you, Dan, and I would also like to add that it seems there is more satisfaction with the Metro/Suburban split than some on this board realize. So far, it seems to be a bit more balanced than the previous RPI system, with only 1A rural remaining mostly in tact. I think that the new system will foster less playoff blowouts and more competition with more schools playing teams of their size and relative competitive ability. 

Let's hope you're right with the championship games being more competitive. But as a long time fan of the sport, the separation of metro from suburban counties only reinforces what many have been saying for years about the "watering down" of championships. The Suburban 3A Champion is the best of 60 suburban county teams, nothing more. By not competing against the big boys in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc. this 3A winner appears to be one of several "Minor League Champs."  (IMO) It cheapens the words State Champion.