Single wing vs wing T

DisabledAccount

Wing T and single wing are both 4 back attacks but built differently. The true wingt t has a backfield like pro style far and near with a wing to the tight end side. Most modern wing t teams use two slot backs and use flexbone plays employed by Georgia tech and navy.

The single wing has also been called the wildcat and was used during the 4 horseman of noted dame's newt rockney days. It uses shifts and missdirction by the 4 backs in a shotgun formation.

Hope this helps

Wing T and single wing are both 4 back attacks but built differently. The true wingt t has a backfield like pro style far and near with a wing to the tight end side. Most modern wing t teams use two slot backs and use flexbone plays employed by Georgia tech and navy.

The single wing has also been called the wildcat and was used during the 4 horseman of noted dame's newt rockney days. It uses shifts and missdirction by the 4 backs in a shotgun formation.

Hope this helps

How many teams in Florida use them?

The advantage to using unorthodox offenses is that teams rarely use them so opponents do not know how to prepare or defend against them. Of course all young coaches want to run spread so not many teams run triple option or wing t offenses.

I believe lake region ran single wing last fall.

When st Augustine and rockledge were great they ran wing t

I believe port st. Joe does but they run it out of the gun and called it the sling t

The advantage to using unorthodox offenses is that teams rarely use them so opponents do not know how to prepare or defend against them. Of course all young coaches want to run spread so not many teams run triple option or wing t offenses.

I believe lake region ran single wing last fall.

When st Augustine and rockledge were great they ran wing t

I believe port st. Joe does but they run it out of the gun and called it the sling t

Fling T for PSJ,  quite a few smaller schools run variations of the wing t because you can run it with smaller linemen

What are the differences between these 2?

I am probably off a little when I describe these but below are the jist of the the formations.  The one thing I do know is they can be a nightmare for some teams:

Single Wing generally has 4 backs.  HB, FB, QB, Wingback.  Line is usually set up unbalanced  and center has options when snapping the ball.  Anyone could get the ball and it is very common that the QB blocks in these instances.  If I am not mistaken Apopka runs variations of the Single Wing.  

Apopka has frustrated teams from the South Region with Single Wing variations.

Wing T always has the QB line up behind center but the illusions and variations are more movements and shifts (traps and counters) in the line versus where the snap/ball is going.  Wing T usually has athletic and quick linemen as well.   Bolles runs a very nice Wing T.  Osceola runs a variation of the Wing T called the Flexbone.

Bolles baffled a stout Deerfield Beach Defense with a Wing T based Offense.

Osceola was the first team all year to score a TD on Flanagan in the First Half at the 8A State Championship.  Previously all season Flanagan had only allowed 2 FGs in the First half the entire season.  You have to think that the deception of the Flexbone Wing T had something to do with this.

In short it is probably better to watch and plug the ball to stop the Single Wing and plug the gap or hole with the Wing T....

I am probably off a little when I describe these but below are the jist of the the formations. The one thing I do know is they can be a nightmare for some teams:

Single Wing generally has 4 backs. HB, FB, QB, Wingback. Line is usually set up unbalanced and center has options when snapping the ball. Anyone could get the ball and it is very common that the QB blocks in these instances. If I am not mistaken Apopka runs variations of the Single Wing.

Apopka has frustrated teams from the South Region with Single Wing variations.

Wing T always has the QB line up behind center but the illusions and variations are more movements and shifts (traps and counters) in the line versus where the snap/ball is going. Wing T usually has athletic and quick linemen as well. Bolles runs a very nice Wing T. Osceola runs a variation of the Wing T called the Flexbone.

Bolles baffled a stout Deerfield Beach Defense with a Wing T based Offense.

Osceola was the first team all year to score a TD on Flanagan in the First Half at the 8A State Championship. Previously all season Flanagan had only allowed 2 FGs in the First half the entire season. You have to think that the deception of the Flexbone Wing T had something to do with this.

In short it is probably better to watch and plug the ball to stop the Single Wing and plug the gap or hole with the Wing T....

Would you prepare the same to stop both?

Would you prepare the same to stop both?

I think with the Wing T you have to be disciplined to plug holes and not get distracted by movement. Tampa1 seems to have a better understanding of the formations than I do.  He could likely answer that question.

The only thing I know is both formations are proven weapons to frustrate several power South Region teams over the last few years.- Fact.

I think with the Wing T you have to be disciplined to plug holes and not get distracted by movement.

Well Ik we handled Bolles wing t but struggled with Apopka single wing, I assume you treat single wing the same way you would treat the triple option by having inside linemen rush the gap and have outside linemen and linebackers contain the outside run, but easier said then done

Flexbone is a wing t variation that only runs wishbone plays out of it. Wishbone is easy to stop by closing down the backfield so the flexbone is a modern adjustment. Flexbone teams do not claim to be wing t.

I would not defend them the same.

The single wing uses unbalanced concepts and shifts to out flank their opponent.

Wing t you must play assignment football to find the ball and misdirection keys.

Both need to cross read backs and play defense without a football

Osceola averaged 387 rushing yards a game in 2015 running a variety of only about 10 Flexbone plays... It's like you know what is coming... but you really don't.

Sounds like they were just executing it to the point that even though they know whats coming they unable to stop it

In a single wing wouldn't the goal be to press the outside so they can only run into the middle and cut down the shifts impact?

No because power is their main play and it will still break.

You have to stem and slant and keep your second level clean

Look, the majority of teams are running spread and a zone read run type of scheme with a lot of 3 step drop passes. Because of that a lot of teams go smaller with their linebackers because they are really safeties that can run and close space quicker then the old school big and bulky linebackers that used to play. Now with a team that runs the spread, that teams defense sees that at practice everyday. When that same team has to prepare for a team that goes under center and is physical and comes downhill every play with traps, power, and counter plays it can be very overwhelming for the DL and LB's. Trust me just like in the past it will all come full circle and change again. Before long teams will start going under center more and trying to ram it down a defenses mouth with pro I and other formations. And then it will change again......

For all of you knowledgeable folks and coaches out there. Which formation is:

Wing T

Proset

Spread

Option

Other

* The most difficult to implement for HS teams?

* The most difficult to defend against for HS teams?

* The most currently utilized by Florida HS teams?

* The best formation, for a player to learn, that will enhance their opportunity for offers by colleges?