Single wing vs wing T

DisabledAccount

I Dont know if any in Florida use it but toughest to implement is west coast offense, generally most pro teams take 3 years to be able to master it and you only get players for 4 years so you would have to keep reteaching it

the toughest to defend seems to be the wing t or single wing for those who have smaller players, and the spread for those who have slower dbs because when you spread out and put a 4.3 receiver on a linebacker or a slower db you will go right by them

Currently the pro set probley is most used but a lot of teams have began to convert to the spread because of the speed that teams have and want to utilize

If a player has a lot of speed at receiver position then spread is best way to get him attention and offers because they will put up huge numbers in that offense

No because power is their main play and it will still break.

You have to stem and slant and keep your second level clean

Blitzing is usually useless - best thing a DL can do to bottle-up the single wing's off tackle and power is to submarine. It's a brutal job, but someone has to do it. Against most SW blocking rules that I know of, stemming and slanting doesn't make one whit of difference. Against a well-coached SW team, you have to hope they beat themselves. Know what Apopka's win/loss in the last 10 years? 110-27. 

I thought it would be considered the Flexbone....Maybe I am wrong.  All I know is that they only through the ball 9 TIMES the entire season leading up to states.  Then when they fell behind 2 TDs at States and the clock was ticking the $hi^ hit the fan on them.  

Osceola does run the flexbone. It is what Apopka used to run in the early 2000s. They used the flexbone to advantage in the 2001 state title game. Osceola's Offensive Coordinator is a former Apopka coach/head coach. He has continued to use the Flexbone there. 

Regarding Single wing, BH gave a pretty good description. One point of correction: the fourth back is technically not a quarterback but is an additional wing back. There is no true QB in a single wing formation. In that sense it differs from the triple option run by Lake Brantley. Essentially the way Apopka runs it, every single offensive player is a blocker even if a skill position player. The trick is both deception and to have more guys at the point of attack providing a measure of protection for the ball carrier. When it is working, with the right personnel, it can be very difficult to stop. If you combine it with a spread or I formation package, it provides even more of a challenge. If you look at film of the Cypress Bay state title game, that would be a great example of this. 

Blitzing is usually useless - best thing a DL can do to bottle-up the single wing's off tackle and power is to submarine. It's a brutal job, but someone has to do it. Against most SW blocking rules that I know of, stemming and slanting doesn't make one whit of difference. Against a well-coached SW team, you have to hope they beat themselves. Know what Apopka's win/loss in the last 10 years? 110-27. 

I think slanting into the play helps a lot, but guess wrong on you are out the gate. I think it takes a lot of discipline in your lb.'s to cross read it. not that they compare but slanting helped a lot vs Chamberlain's single wing a few years ago (not that they are as good as APK)

For all of you knowledgeable folks and coaches out there. Which formation is:

Wing T

Proset

Spread

Option

Other

* The most difficult to implement for HS teams? - any multiple QB read offense (pro style or spread)

* The most difficult to defend against for HS teams?- Double wing (not many use it but run behind the scrum, you have to crab legs or get gashed)

* The most currently utilized by Florida HS teams?-I think most teams run spread or pistol now a days

* The best formation, for a player to learn, that will enhance their opportunity for offers by colleges?  it really doesn't matter! recruiting is very different. the key is combine and exposure, stats don't even matter when getting recruited anymore. its more about hight, weight, 40. colleges look for 5 star athletes and believe they can put them in their system through coaching

Osceola does run the flexbone. It is what Apopka used to run in the early 2000s. They used the flexbone to advantage in the 2001 state title game. Osceola's Offensive Coordinator is a former Apopka coach/head coach. He has continued to use the Flexbone there. 

Regarding Single wing, BH gave a pretty good description. One point of correction: the fourth back is technically not a quarterback but is an additional wing back. There is no true QB in a single wing formation. In that sense it differs from the triple option run by Lake Brantley. Essentially the way Apopka runs it, every single offensive player is a blocker even if a skill position player. The trick is both deception and to have more guys at the point of attack providing a measure of protection for the ball carrier. When it is working, with the right personnel, it can be very difficult to stop. If you combine it with a spread or I formation package, it provides even more of a challenge. If you look at film of the Cypress Bay state title game, that would be a great example of this. 

IMO slanting guesswork isn't a consistent way to win ballgames - like flipping a coin every play. LOL