2017 Head Coaching Changes

SportsNut25

Vernon has announced the hire of a basketball coach from Georgia as their new head football coach and AD.

:blink:

That is very interesting.  I wonder if he will be coaching basketball also.  You used to see that in the old days at small schools where one guy would be the HC for football, basketball, and baseball.

Mandarin head coach found a new home (per FootballScoop):

Lincoln (FL): Quinn Gray will be the new head coach of the program. Gray recently stepped down at Mandarin HS (FL), citing wanting to spend more time with his family.

Regarding Vernon: the HC has football coaching experience has been an assistant for a few squads. I believe he was an assistant football coach and the basketball HC at his last stop.

Yes there was an article in the Panama City News Herald. He is from Bristol(Liberty County) and has been an assistant both at Liberty and at Blountstown.  Looks to be a solid hire.

whats the deal with mandarin and manatee coaches stepping down this close to spring football?

you would think they would have decided this sooner, kinda seems selfish to step down this late as you put those programs scrambling to find a new coach before spring football begins

Manatee is a very political place that does not tolerate mediocrity for very long. The consensus was that Booth was not doing his job, at least not up to "Manatee standards." Any departure there should be viewed through that light. Now the truth is that other programs, such as Braden River, have come on at Manatee's expense and it is unclear whether a coaching change will reverse that. But, be that as it may, I don't think the powers that be will accept that without a fight to keep the program relevant. 

whats the deal with mandarin and manatee coaches stepping down this close to spring football?

you would think they would have decided this sooner, kinda seems selfish to step down this late as you put those programs scrambling to find a new coach before spring football begins

Neither situation was selfish.

Mandarin coach got a great gig but wasn't going to resign until he got the job -- almost everyone does that whether in coaching or not.

John Booth is remaining as HC through the spring so not selfish either.

Neither situation was selfish.

Mandarin coach got a great gig but wasn't going to resign until he got the job -- almost everyone does that whether in coaching or not.

John Booth is remaining as HC through the spring so not selfish either.

hmm that a good point, just seems bad for the programs to have to fill this spot with a short timetable to have a coach starting in the spring so that they are not put behind the rest of the pack heading into the season

Manatee is a very political place that does not tolerate mediocrity for very long. The consensus was that Booth was not doing his job, at least not up to "Manatee standards." Any departure there should be viewed through that light. Now the truth is that other programs, such as Braden River, have come on at Manatee's expense and it is unclear whether a coaching change will reverse that. But, be that as it may, I don't think the powers that be will accept that without a fight to keep the program relevant. 

i can understand that but its April, lol

you would think if boosters would have pushed him out they would have done it sooner, js

Earl Little stepped down from his Westminster Christian coaching position to take a position on the FIU staff w/ Butch Davis:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article142938454.html

Not sure of the circumstances but Miami Jackson once had Little. I believe Jackson would be doing a lot better and be a lot more stable if Little were still there.