2017 Head Coaching Changes

SportsNut25

That's not true exactly.  Coach Thomas was there the last 3 years before the politics of the area convinced him to leave and his 3 year record was 0-10, 3-7, and 7-3 with the 3 losses by a total of 11 points.  The program was going in the right direction under him. But they changed principals and they allowed the figures who have destroyed that program for years to take control and now they are back to a dumpster fire.  It really sucks for the kids because they gave there all under Thomas.  All I can say is very very stupid people in the community down there might as well shut down program going independent wont help.

Would you consider this a upgrade at the position?

From my perspective I would not necessarily call it a upgrade. I do not know the full circumstances surrounding the previous HC (Senatus) departure but from a W/L perspective and considering in the 2 years Senatus was there he won all the games he was basically supposed to, I think you could say he will get a job elsewhere.

As to A.J. Scott taking over , he should be a good fit. He played for McArthur and has done a solid job as DC at bot Miramar and MacArthur in recent years.

Miramar is a program that has very high standards and not making the playoffs last year due to a last second 1 point loss to Western (I think 8-7) may have been the catalyst that sparked the change. The other thing that people need to remember is Flanagan has had some very strong teams the last few years and basically owned Miramar of late.

That does not fly at Miramar football as it is a pretty heated love/hate rivalry between the two 8A powers in the same District.

Miramar on paper right now looks good and if AJ Scott can keep what is in house now plus get a couple more pieces , they may just make a November run.

From my perspective I would not necessarily call it a upgrade. I do not know the full circumstances surrounding the previous HC (Senatus) departure but from a W/L perspective and considering in the 2 years Senatus was there he won all the games he was basically supposed to, I think you could say he will get a job elsewhere.

As to A.J. Scott taking over , he should be a good fit. He played for McArthur and has done a solid job as DC at bot Miramar and MacArthur in recent years.

Miramar is a program that has very high standards and not making the playoffs last year due to a last second 1 point loss to Western (I think 8-7) may have been the catalyst that sparked the change. The other thing that people need to remember is Flanagan has had some very strong teams the last few years and basically owned Miramar of late.

That does not fly at Miramar football as it is a pretty heated love/hate rivalry between the two 8A powers in the same District.

Miramar on paper right now looks good and if AJ Scott can keep what is in house now plus get a couple more pieces , they may just make a November run.

I do notice that at a lot of programs like that the leash is very thin so if you miss playoffs and lose to rival in same year they might end up firing the coach for it wether the coach was reason or not

But i agree he should get another coaching job, he didn't do a bad job, just was a program that asks for a lot out of the coach

Former 3 year Monarch HC Calvin Davis has been hired as HC at Ely High school.  Davis was recently the OC at Deerfield Beach.    I wouldn't underestimate this hiring....Davis has had great players wherever he has coached and I could argue his 2014 Monarch team was the most talented WR core in Broward County history.  Davis went 26-8 in his 3 year tenure at Monarch (2012,2013,2104)  Monarch was 3-7 in 2011 and 2-8 in 2015....Just something to think about.

Why he leave monarch with that good a record?

Not sure on all of the details but that 2014 Monarch team was Senior loaded (Davis may have had a SR. son on the roster as well) , very talented, and lost 21-27 in the playoffs at Home on a last second goal-line stand to Flanagan.  Had to have been a hard one to digest......   The remaining talent on that Monarch team basically went to Deerfield Beach and Coconut Creek for 2015.

Davis left Monarch because he got caught trying  to pay a student to take SATs for an athlete and asking a security guard to make fake IDs. He was fined and had to take classes. Ethics don't seem to matter in hiring anymore.  Florida football might be more like college football big business, but I don't want my kid around a guy teaching them that is ok. It doesn't matter how good of a coach they are.

Davis left Monarch because he got caught trying to pay a student to take SATs for an athlete and asking a security guard to make fake IDs. He was fined and had to take classes. Ethics don't seem to matter in hiring anymore. Florida football might be more like college football big business, but I don't want my kid around a guy teaching them that is ok. It doesn't matter how good of a coach they are.

Okay...I thought he had already resigned as HC of Monarch when all of that went down, but I guess not.