STA loses a transfer to Palm Beach County school

DisabledAccount

1 minute ago, Ray Icaza said:

I thought the bigger news on your thread which I did not know was Jack Daniels becoming the new HC at Cardinal Newman.  Look  for more players to transfer in.  

My mistake, I didn't know he was there but apparently was hired last year.

8 hours ago, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

Dang this is this kids 3rd private high school in 3 years. American Heritage Plantation, Aquinas, and now Cardinal Newman. I guess he's trying to figure out which private school in the area has the best education.

LOL.   Or he goes through girls faster than I go through ice cream when my wife's out of town.   B)

19 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But But, STA recruits :lol:

All of the schools that benefit from an influx of transfers also lose transfers all the time. Roughly 95% of the time, the players they lose weren't good enough to get as much playing time as they want, because there's someone else better than them at their position. Lakeland lost two running backs this off-season, both of whom figure to get scholarship offers.  There's just substantial movement of players all over the place. 

1 hour ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Sooooo what you're REALLY saying is that STA is like a roach motel?  Players check in, but they're not supposed to check out :D

What I'm saying is people will be all up in arms whenever STA gets a player in but they got nothing to say when they or other private schools lose a kid 

Nobody would have said a word about Riverside getting a 3* transfer from TCA last year if I didn't post it 

But if it was turned around someone would have screamed that TCA was recruiting, these publics in most cases are worse than the privates that get accused of recruiting all the time

Though Cardinal Newman is also a private it still caught my attention because of where the transfer came from 

The part of the equation you are conveniently omitting is that TCA probably lost that 3*QB to Riverside because they were bringing in Colin Hurley to that private school; probably projected at a 5*.  Now, I will readily admit I don't know where he was zoned to attend but we can all agree who got the better deal.   Can the same case be made for the TE/DE/LB that STA lost as opposed to who they got??   So yes, publics do the same but don't expect me to feel sorry that somehow privates are being demonized unfairly because they lose players too.  When that happens, they usually have been upgraded. 

35 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

The part of the equation you are conveniently omitting is that TCA probably lost that 3*QB to Riverside because they were bringing in Colin Hurley to that private school; probably projected at a 5*.  Now, I will readily admit I don't know where he was zoned to attend but we can all agree who got the better deal.   Can the same case be made for the TE/DE/LB that STA lost as opposed to who they got??   So yes, publics do the same but don't expect me to feel sorry that somehow privates are being demonized unfairly because they lose players too.  When that happens, they usually have been upgraded. 

Actually it was the *3 DL Bryce Capers that I was referring to 

But thanks for reminding me of the QB so Riverside actually got 2 transfers from TCA

36 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I guess we may have a different view on it 

I feel that a team (public or private) should be called out when they have 8-10 or more transfers 

I also feel they should be called out when the media claims that these teams are homegrown and that's why they can't compete with the SFL teams (private/public) when they refuse to post anything about transfers when they know about it and it leads to someone being mislead on a program being homegrown when they aren't

I also feel they should be called out when their own coaching staff is on Twitter saying their team is homegrown and they don't get transfers when that is a flat out lie (I'll be glad to link the tweet if it hasn't been deleted when that was done) or when a team refuse to play certain teams because they say the team is recruiting (like TCA) but will accept a boatload of transfers themselves and pretend to be innocent (looking at you Sandalwood) 

I just think the standard should be applied the same public or private and people shouldn't assume that a private school is always recruiting but not even care when a public gets a hell a lot more transfers than the private schools they accuse of recruiting

It's also worth noting that Colin Hurley was already at TCA by his 8th grade year and I think he even played as an 8th grader if I recall correctly 

He was always a TCA kid just like Bryce Capers had spent his entire high school career at TCA before playing at Riverside as a senior 

The only Riverside transfer that had played there at any point was the Oakleaf linebacker, the rest were all senior transfers who had never played at Riverside prior to transferring in as a senior, they are literally an less talented example of what Lakeland is doing this off-season by snatching up local kids to try and create a deep playoff run team without earning it organically

Funny enough even with all the transfers they didn't even get as far as their less talented team from 2019 who took 6 quarters to finally get points in a playoff game 

17 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Actually it was the *3 DL Bryce Capers that I was referring to 

But thanks for reminding me of the QB so Riverside actually got 2 transfers from TCA

Actually Columbia, I was unaware of the QB transfer you reference in this thread going from TCA to Riverside.  You are much better informed of player movement state-wide and particularly in your north FL area than I or others on this forum.  I was simply making the argument when you indicated TCA losing a QB it probably happened for a reason, but TCA was not the worse off because of it.  When good programs lose players it is most often because they have been supplanted by a better player, that being my point.  As you also indicated, the Hurley kid has been there since the 8th grade but prior to that he was a Miami kid.  Don't know how he ended up at TCA and don't believe they have done anything unethical to get him.  I also indicated that parents many times are the driving force and TCA has an excellent football program, one of the top coaches in the entire state and a top academic reputation.  Their military background is probably a strong reason for selecting a school like that for their son and I applaud them for it.  

17 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I guess we may have a different view on it 

I feel that a team (public or private) should be called out when they have 8-10 or more transfers 

I also feel they should be called out when the media claims that these teams are homegrown and that's why they can't compete with the SFL teams (private/public) when they refuse to post anything about transfers when they know about it and it leads to someone being mislead on a program being homegrown when they aren't

I also feel they should be called out when their own coaching staff is on Twitter saying their team is homegrown and they don't get transfers when that is a flat out lie (I'll be glad to link the tweet if it hasn't been deleted when that was done) or when a team refuse to play certain teams because they say the team is recruiting (like TCA) but will accept a boatload of transfers themselves and pretend to be innocent (looking at you Sandalwood) 

I just think the standard should be applied the same public or private and people shouldn't assume that a private school is always recruiting but not even care when a public gets a hell a lot more transfers than the private schools they accuse of recruiting

Columbiahighfan and others

There is really no comparison between public and private schools. Public schools are funded by taxes and are administered by local school boards. Private schools are funded by tuition payments and are administered by private entities. Public schools are an entitlement. Private schools are not. Public schools keep their doors open regardless of how many students they have in their buildings. Private schools stay open if and only when they have enough tuition paying students in their buildings. Private schools cannot depend on local students only due to high tuition and standards that they set. As such, they have to find students from other places. That is why there are no districts for private schools. Since public schools do not have to bring students in from other areas they can function quite well with only local students. Private schools have to bring in students from other areas in order to pay bills and stay in business.  So, what would be considered "recruiting" by public schools should not be considered "recruiting" by private schools. There is also the factor that many public school students, both in and out of sports, transfer to private schools for better academic possibilities and a more comprehensive disciplinary structure.  At least this is the way that I see it unfolding. 

43 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Columbiahighfan and others

There is really no comparison between public and private schools. Public schools are funded by taxes and are administered by local school boards. Private schools are funded by tuition payments and are administered by private entities. Public schools are an entitlement. Private schools are not. Public schools keep their doors open regardless of how many students they have in their buildings. Private schools stay open if and only when they have enough tuition paying students in their buildings. Private schools cannot depend on local students only due to high tuition and standards that they set. As such, they have to find students from other places. That is why there are no districts for private schools. Since public schools do not have to bring students in from other areas they can function quite well with only local students. Private schools have to bring in students from other areas in order to pay bills and stay in business.  So, what would be considered "recruiting" by public schools should not be considered "recruiting" by private schools. There is also the factor that many public school students, both in and out of sports, transfer to private schools for better academic possibilities and a more comprehensive disciplinary structure.  At least this is the way that I see it unfolding. 

Don't know if I qualify as an "OTHER", but the main thing wrong with your argument and you continue to not believe is that Private Schools offer scholarships to top football players.  That does nothing to enhance their financial position, because they are not collecting tuition from them.  Parents of these kinds of kids do see it as a PLUS because they will receive a better education than their local public HS, but they are being recruited for their talents on the field.  Prime example was an extremely talented receiver from our Poinciana area (Lamar Patterson) that ended up at St. Francis Academy in Baltimore, MD.  His family would only make this type of move if they were offered financial assistance.  Hated to bring his name up as he recently was killed in an automobile accident on his way to school, so apologies to the family and RIP Lamar. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Actually Columbia, I was unaware of the QB transfer you reference in this thread going from TCA to Riverside.  You are much better informed of player movement state-wide and particularly in your north FL area than I or others on this forum.  I was simply making the argument when you indicated TCA losing a QB it probably happened for a reason, but TCA was not the worse off because of it.  When good programs lose players it is most often because they have been supplanted by a better player, that being my point.  As you also indicated, the Hurley kid has been there since the 8th grade but prior to that he was a Miami kid.  Don't know how he ended up at TCA and don't believe they have done anything unethical to get him.  I also indicated that parents many times are the driving force and TCA has an excellent football program, one of the top coaches in the entire state and a top academic reputation.  Their military background is probably a strong reason for selecting a school like that for their son and I applaud them for it.  

Well really my main point is that I feel as if people target private schools whenever they get a transfer but these same people say nothing when a public school gets a kid from a private school

In my view If it's recruiting ANYTIME a private takes a kid from a public school than it should be applied the same when the roles are reversed

I wasn't aware he was from Miami but with the rising rent prices in SFL and Jacksonville job market has grown it's possible his family got a similar paying job up here with more affordable housing and made the move and once researching schools in the area decided that TCA was the best option

You also mentioned military and with the Navy base up in Jacksonville that could explain it but in terms of the transfers in addition to Hurley, Riverside also got 3* DL Bryce Capers from TCA so 2 impact players from a private school within a few weeks of each other in addition to kids from Ribault, Jackson, Parker, Creekside and Oakleaf but if it was turned around TCA would be accused of recruiting

19 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's also worth noting that Colin Hurley was already at TCA by his 8th grade year and I think he even played as an 8th grader if I recall correctly 

He was always a TCA kid just like Bryce Capers had spent his entire high school career at TCA before playing at Riverside as a senior 

The only Riverside transfer that had played there at any point was the Oakleaf linebacker, the rest were all senior transfers who had never played at Riverside prior to transferring in as a senior, they are literally an less talented example of what Lakeland is doing this off-season by snatching up local kids to try and create a deep playoff run team without earning it organically

Funny enough even with all the transfers they didn't even get as far as their less talented team from 2019 who took 6 quarters to finally get points in a playoff game 

We've reached a point where, for just about anyone to make a deep playoff run, they have to snatch up local kids. All of the schools are trying to snatch up all of the local talent. They're just having varying degrees of success doing so.

1 hour ago, skyway said:

We've reached a point where, for just about anyone to make a deep playoff run, they have to snatch up local kids. All of the schools are trying to snatch up all of the local talent. They're just having varying degrees of success doing so.

And what is a deep playoff run? Regional finals? Final 4?

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well really my main point is that I feel as if people target private schools whenever they get a transfer but these same people say nothing when a public school gets a kid from a private school

In my view If it's recruiting ANYTIME a private takes a kid from a public school than it should be applied the same when the roles are reversed

I wasn't aware he was from Miami but with the rising rent prices in SFL and Jacksonville job market has grown it's possible his family got a similar paying job up here with more affordable housing and made the move and once researching schools in the area decided that TCA was the best option

You also mentioned military and with the Navy base up in Jacksonville that could explain it but in terms of the transfers in addition to Hurley, Riverside also got 3* DL Bryce Capers from TCA so 2 impact players from a private school within a few weeks of each other in addition to kids from Ribault, Jackson, Parker, Creekside and Oakleaf but if it was turned around TCA would be accused of recruiting

I agree that publics are as guilty if not more so than privates TODAY in the recruiting wars, which you constantly point out correctly.  Again to add context, historically that wasn't always the case.  Privates had that advantage because parents have a right to send their kids to a private school if they can afford it, so they have always had that open door policy with no repercussions from the FHSAA no matter where the student came from cause it was perfectly legal.  They began building quality teams with high quality enrollment then started adding star power thru scholarships to under privileged kids (stealing them from publics) to put them over the top.  Publics eventually began to try and counter that thru whatever means necessary.  So my criticism has been consistently that they had the advantage early on and used it, eventually forcing some of the publics into what now has evolved into school choice.  Privates created this monster and that is my beef.  Publics are catching up so a school like Bolles that was so dominant is still excellent but have to now beat teams that are on a more level playing field and their path to a championship is more difficult. 

34 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I agree that publics are as guilty if not more so than privates TODAY in the recruiting wars, which you constantly point out correctly.  Again to add context, historically that wasn't always the case.  Privates had that advantage because parents have a right to send their kids to a private school if they can afford it, so they have always had that open door policy with no repercussions from the FHSAA no matter where the student came from cause it was perfectly legal.  They began building quality teams with high quality enrollment then started adding star power thru scholarships to under privileged kids (stealing them from publics) to put them over the top.  Publics eventually began to try and counter that thru whatever means necessary.  So my criticism has been consistently that they had the advantage early on and used it, eventually forcing some of the publics into what now has evolved into school choice.  Privates created this monster and that is my beef.  Publics are catching up so a school like Bolles that was so dominant is still excellent but have to now beat teams that are on a more level playing field and their path to a championship is more difficult. 

Publics eventually began to try and counter that thru whatever means necessary.  I can't speak for the rest of the State, but here in the Orlando area, it's pretty hard to name more than a few starting QB's that are still at the same high school where they started in 9th grade. Recruiting is the norm, rather than the exception that used to get coaches and programs in trouble. 

21 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Publics eventually began to try and counter that thru whatever means necessary.  I can't speak for the rest of the State, but here in the Orlando area, it's pretty hard to name more than a few starting QB's that are still at the same high school where they started in 9th grade. Recruiting is the norm, rather than the exception that used to get coaches and programs in trouble. 

You are certainly right about player movement in the central FL area as we see it at our school more than ever before, both transfers in and transfers out.  Players/parents are choosing what they deem is best for them, although I don't always agree with their reasoning.  Guess we are the outlier in the QB position as our projected starter for next season is Gunner Holland who will be a Junior; was third string varsity his Freshman year then second string last year.  He owns two state wrestling titles already and showed tremendous composure vs Edgewater in the spring game, especially running the 2 minute drill for an 84 yd. drive to win the game.  His dad played football and also wrestled for us in the mid-late 90's so the homegrown tag is real.  That said, we are just entering summer and alot can happen between now and Aug. 26 regarding even the QB position even with me thinking we are solid there. 

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And what is a deep playoff run? Regional finals? Final 4?

It varies some based on the classification and the draw. You could make a deep run and then run into a team that you can't compete with like Central. You could also be really strong but get a tough draw and bow out early. So, I guess I'd define it as being good enough to be reasonably competitive with any/all the teams in your classification.