2022 transfer thread

DisabledAccount

3 minutes ago, skyway said:

Actual charting of player movement, listed by school, is the only way to begin to make sense of who's really helped or hurt themselves in the free agent market. I don't care to spend the time needed to do that, but it's the only way to really gauge the net impact of the transfers. The occasional link to random players' Twitter feed is unhelpful. Also, making a cute graphic and "announcement" on Twitter does not mean a player is actually any good. I remember last year a kid from New York state made a big announcement about transferring to Lakeland. Watched his hudl. Meh. Poor kid could never get on the field and mostly lost his junior season. He left for Jenkins and now looks like he'll be one of their better players. Point is, Twitter announcement or not, neither he nor Lakeland were able to help each other.

Whether or not a kid is good or not isn't something I'm gonna waste time doing when I post the announcements

I post it to keep a running record and I leave that debate or whether they moved/transferred up to other people to decide but I do also realize that if I don't it just ends up being hidden and some team can go and lie and say they never got a transfer (like I saw a coach at Riverside say after the season last year and had I not charted it he could have gotten away with that lie) 

I have far too many responsibilities to keep an official chart but I post any transfer I come across and if someone wants to put the effort in for making a chart they are welcome to but that's not my responsibility or concern because I normally have sources who keep unofficial tallies of the transfers and normally I remember when a team gets a ton or loses a ton 

Generally if a team only gets or loses about 2-3 players it has very little impact on a team's ability unless the transfers are blue chip players 

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Can’t week for week 1. Never heard of them or seen Any film on them. 

who would you compare them to?

Looks like it's another one of these new schools popping up mostly just to become football powers. Hard to say what style team they will be, since it's just another recruited up pop-up team. Most likely, the coaches bring little/nothing to the table as far as innovation or style goes. So, it's probably a good bet they will be a "copycat" of the things en vogue today. I suppose one could visit their hudl page and look at the QBs film to get an idea. Sight unseen I assume they're in the gun 90% of the time, field spread, fast tempo. Defense probably has two down lineman, two "Edge rushers" and is fairly basic schematically. LOL

Rock Creek pop-up 

1 hour ago, skyway said:

Looks like it's another one of these new schools popping up mostly just to become football powers. Hard to say what style team they will be, since it's just another recruited up pop-up team. Most likely, the coaches bring little/nothing to the table as far as innovation or style goes. So, it's probably a good bet they will be a "copycat" of the things en vogue today. I suppose one could visit their hudl page and look at the QBs film to get an idea. Sight unseen I assume they're in the gun 90% of the time, field spread, fast tempo. Defense probably has two down lineman, two "Edge rushers" and is fairly basic schematically. LOL

Rock Creek pop-up 

Just spent bout a hour watching film on them, they seem to be fairly small and not very how can I put it “ATHLETIC” surprised they gave a team like dematha fits unless dematha is not the dematha I remember. 

but nole did say they have been recruiting/ getting a lot of transfers  a lot this summer so we will see 

40 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Just spent bout a hour watching film on them, they seem to be fairly small and not very how can I put it “ATHLETIC” surprised they gave a team like dematha fits unless dematha is not the dematha I remember. 

but nole did say they have been recruiting/ getting a lot of transfers  a lot this summer so we will see 

Yeah, it's a new program. They need to have a few "tuition payers" initially until they can recruit free agents. 

On 7/12/2022 at 10:01 PM, SFLfootball said:

Deerfield still has a bunch of kids. Just going to be younger this season. They have had some guys transfer in like 2 different QBs just no big time guys. They won’t be what they have been, but this isn’t a Hallandale situation like last season.  I feel bad for all these skill position players transferring to Dillard or some that were already there.  Whoever is telling them to go to Dillard is messing them up. The top guys will be ok, but won’t be enough playing time for all these guys. Their roster of skills is going to be huge. That’s why Gibbons started losing so many players this season. Most were backups who went there thinking they would shine on a championship team and then saw no time. 

Well, it seems you have a different take on what is going on at Gibbons than Jullian and I definitely respect his opinion.  Knowing some are transferring out is good info but knowing why is better info.  I asked exactly that question and the possibility that kids were leaving because they were up against better kids seemed to be dismissed.  Your take seems to confirm that those Gibbons is losing will not impact their season negatively.  Also, why I brought up the status of their QB; if he ain't leaving his expectations are for another great year.  Again, time will tell who was right in this particular scenario. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Well, it seems you have a different take on what is going on at Gibbons than Jullian and I definitely respect his opinion.  Knowing some are transferring out is good info but knowing why is better info.  I asked exactly that question and the possibility that kids were leaving because they were up against better kids seemed to be dismissed.  Your take seems to confirm that those Gibbons is losing will not impact their season negatively.  Also, why I brought up the status of their QB; if he ain't leaving his expectations are for another great year.  Again, time will tell who was right in this particular scenario. 

I have no 1st hand knowledge of Gibbons just people who are around HS sports that I talk to. Gibbons has definitely lost a few guys that seem like starters, but from what I have heard majority were rotational or backups.  The major problem I hear will be line depth in future. They fully expect to compete again though. I know they just had a 6’5 OT transfer in from heritage-Delray also Deerfield starting QB from last year transferred in. He was young and pretty good.  If he is willing to go from starter to backup he must see them as having a future and waiting it out. 

24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Buchholz quietly picked up a WR transfer from PK Yonge 

Probably a smart move for him.  If he's getting looked at/offered by schools like UF and Alabama, it will help this kid to play against better competition in the fall.  Also, looks as if the QB position at PK Yonge is unsettled at this time, so playing with a more established QB at Buchholz also will help the kid. 

49 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Probably a smart move for him.  If he's getting looked at/offered by schools like UF and Alabama, it will help this kid to play against better competition in the fall.  Also, looks as if the QB position at PK Yonge is unsettled at this time, so playing with a more established QB at Buchholz also will help the kid. 

It definitely will be a good move but it was interesting that had I not come across a media member who did an interview with the kid who talked about transferring I doubt I would have even known about it 

Yet people wanted to call Columbia out for getting a few transfers when we are honest about it, "the ones to watch for are the ones who try to hide it" 

This kid was a 3 year player at PK Yonge so where's the outrage over the Buchholz player who will now be on the bench because of a senior transfer, I wonder where I heard that one before lol

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It definitely will be a good move but it was interesting that had I not come across a media member who did an interview with the kid who talked about transferring I doubt I would have even known about it 

Yet people wanted to call Columbia out for getting a few transfers when we are honest about it, "the ones to watch for are the ones who try to hide it" 

This kid was a 3 year player at PK Yonge so where's the outrage over the Buchholz player who will now be on the bench because of a senior transfer, I wonder where I heard that one before lol

I understand your concern for the kid who you think will now be on the bench.   But, I think the reality is different.   With larger schools and more sophisticated offenses, it's likely that Buchholz will run 2 WR sets, add a slot for 3 WR sets and even employ some formations with twin WR's on both sides.   Often times, at least at the receiver position with larger schools, bringing in a top-tier receiver simply allows the coaches to move guys around to their natural positions or run plays that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to run.  Perhaps a kid who was playing two ways now gets to move back to DB full time or he may not have to take as many receiver reps (only coming in for certain plays). 

Yeah, I get that you can only put 11 guys on the field at any one time and that it is likely that someone's playing time is going to get reduced.   But, from my experience, the WR position is pretty fluid and a kid isn't likely to go from playing the whole game as a starter to completely sitting the bench the whole game.  Kids who deserve to be playing will still get plenty of playing time on the field.  And, just like college and the pros, if the former number 1 WR moves over to the 2 spot because a star transfers in, he now gets matched up against the other teams' number 2 DB instead of their lock-down DBs headed to a D1 school.  Which could result in better production and more college looks.  You just never know. 

6 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I understand your concern for the kid who you think will now be on the bench.   But, I think the reality is different.   With larger schools and more sophisticated offenses, it's likely that Buchholz will run 2 WR sets, add a slot for 3 WR sets and even employ some formations with twin WR's on both sides.   Often times, at least at the receiver position with larger schools, bringing in a top-tier receiver simply allows the coaches to move guys around to their natural positions or run plays that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to run.  Perhaps a kid who was playing two ways now gets to move back to DB full time or he may not have to take as many receiver reps (only coming in for certain plays). 

Yeah, I get that you can only put 11 guys on the field at any one time and that it is likely that someone's playing time is going to get reduced.   But, from my experience, the WR position is pretty fluid and a kid isn't likely to go from playing the whole game as a starter to completely sitting the bench the whole game.  Kids who deserve to be playing will still get plenty of playing time on the field.  And, just like college and the pros, if the former number 1 WR moves over to the 2 spot because a star transfers in, he now gets matched up against the other teams' number 2 DB instead of their lock-down DBs headed to a D1 school.  Which could result in better production and more college looks.  You just never know. 

Oh I agree absolutely, I was just pointing out an argument that was brought up when Columbia got a transfer at QB because an argument over transfers between public to public is in both examples of Hawthorne to Columbia or Suwannee to Columbia and PK Yonge to Buchholz

So shouldn't the same logic be applied there that if it's okay for one it's okay for the other?

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Oh I agree absolutely, I was just pointing out an argument that was brought up when Columbia got a transfer at QB because an argument over transfers between public to public is in both examples of Hawthorne to Columbia or Suwannee to Columbia and PK Yonge to Buchholz

So shouldn't the same logic be applied there that if it's okay for one it's okay for the other?

Public vs. private really isn't an issue for me, especially now with school choice. 

That said, the QB position is unique.  It's different than almost every other position of a football team(except, perhaps, kicker).   Only one QB can play at a time (even when Spurrier was rotating the QB every play).   If a stud QB transfers to a new school, the kid who otherwise was going to start gets relegated to the bench (unless he can play another position) and only ends up playing mop-up duty or if the new starter gets hurt. 

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

Public vs. private really isn't an issue for me, especially now with school choice. 

That said, the QB position is unique.  It's different than almost every other position of a football team(except, perhaps, kicker).   Only one QB can play at a time (even when Spurrier was rotating the QB every play).   If a stud QB transfers to a new school, the kid who otherwise was going to start gets relegated to the bench (unless he can play another position) and only ends up playing mop-up duty or if the new starter gets hurt. 

That may be fair though I should have added when I further referenced Suwannee to Columbia I was talking about a separate transfer where Columbia picked up a WR which would make the example a carbon copy of the pk Yonge to Buchholz transfer but the reception to both from what I've seen on Twitter was not consistent

Though I should bring up Suwannee did get a QB transfer from Columbia in 2020 and 2021 but Columbia got heat for getting a QB transfer this year from Hawthorne

Again long story short with these examples is should the rule of transfers be applied consistently. I will also point out while I have called out transfers for Riverside it wasn't the fact they got transfers that bothered me, it was the fact that they did it and the media and team tried to hide it and pretend they don't get transfers

I always have believed that if your open with something it's because you have nothing to hide but when you try to hide it there's a reason for it and usually the reason someone hides it tends to be either because it was done unethically or they want to mislead people about their teams "natural" talent by passing off someone else's hard work as their own 

In other words 

If your gonna accept a bunch of transfers don't be going and saying "this team out there recruiting we don't want to play them because we play by the rules and they don't" 

Also don't take 8-10 transfers under the cover of night and then say your all home grown talent when it's not true, it's like teams want to get 10-15 kids from other schools but then turn around and say they developed an entire roster and are only being held back by recruiters 

Serious question:  if a kid doesn't post something on social media and there's no media person snooping around asking questions, how does anyone know that a kid has transferred over the summer until the fall pre-season practice starts or someone updates the roster on MaxPreps?  

If a kid doesn't post something, are they trying to hide it?   Personally, I'd give more kudos to a kid for not posting something than putting up a "taking my talents to" post in which he thanks everybody at his old school for everything they've done for him and tells them all how much he loves them and then turns around and says "but that said, I'm now transferring." 

And lord knows there are very few newspapers or tv stations that cover high school football, especially in the off-season, so I don't find it the least bit odd that a transfer doesn't make the news.   Nor do I think anyone is hiding anything. 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

In other words 

If your gonna accept a bunch of transfers don't be going and saying "this team out there recruiting we don't want to play them because we play by the rules and they don't" 

For the umpteenth time, there is nothing wrong with a team accepting transfers, regardless of where the kids come from. 

Recruiting, on the other hand, remains illegal. 

I have no problem whatsoever with a team accepting transfers (heck, with school choice, I don't think the school can say "no" to them, unless they're at capacity).   And I have no problem with a team that ends up with legitimate transfers calling out a team that is actively recruiting.  Again, one is legal (if not state mandated), while the other is still against the rules. 

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Serious question:  if a kid doesn't post something on social media and there's no media person snooping around asking questions, how does anyone know that a kid has transferred over the summer until the fall pre-season practice starts or someone updates the roster on MaxPreps?  

If a kid doesn't post something, are they trying to hide it?   Personally, I'd give more kudos to a kid for not posting something than putting up a "taking my talents to" post in which he thanks everybody at his old school for everything they've done for him and tells them all how much he loves them and then turns around and says "but that said, I'm now transferring." 

And lord knows there are very few newspapers or tv stations that cover high school football, especially in the off-season, so I don't find it the least bit odd that a transfer doesn't make the news.   Nor do I think anyone is hiding anything. 

I see it as a team hiding it because they do know if a kid came in from a different school but they gonna have a coach getting on Twitter calling other schools out for recruiting or taking loads of transfers and why they won't play a school (usually they won't say the name of school but they leave enough clues that most can figure out who they are talking about) when they themselves are taking transfers

Again no issue with transfers, my issue is when a team is dishonest about it 

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

For the umpteenth time, there is nothing wrong with a team accepting transfers, regardless of where the kids come from. 

Recruiting, on the other hand, remains illegal. 

I have no problem whatsoever with a team accepting transfers (heck, with school choice, I don't think the school can say "no" to them, unless they're at capacity).   And I have no problem with a team that ends up with legitimate transfers calling out a team that is actively recruiting.  Again, one is legal (if not state mandated), while the other is still against the rules. 

But most these coaches will accuse a school of recruiting simply for getting a transfer 

Like you said recruiting and transfers aren't the same but a lot of these coaches on Twitter calling teams out treat it as one in the same 

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Like you said recruiting and transfers aren't the same but a lot of these coaches on Twitter calling teams out treat it as one in the same 

So, educate them.  Use that "reply" button to let them know there is a difference between the two and that one is legal and the other is not.