Preseason outlook (792 Sports/Columbiafan rankings [see page 6])

DisabledAccount

In Brevard the top 2 are Cocoa and Rockledge.

Merritt Island and Melbourne are looking to make noise again.

The talks around Palm Bay is that they are on the rise but they've been saying that for the past 3 seasons since they have a highly ranked DE that is back healthy for his senior season. But we will see how far they have come when they play Cocoa in what should be the district championship game.

Bayside has some playmakers and should be improved. 

My dark horse in Brevard is Heritage, the young core they had in 2020 is still together and should have the experience now to go along with their talent.

And of Eau Gallie should be improved with the talent they've had and still have. But we will see if they will be able to back up all the talk they've been throwing around on twitter.

Jesuit will still be solid. They return a 30 TD quarterback and 1900 yard rusher. The defensive loses a bit but a lot of younger guys got meaningful snaps. 

Tampa Bay Tech returns a good core too. They won’t skip a beat. They return more than Jesuit on defense, so they could be slightly ahead at least early in the season. Jesuit plays a way tougher schedule as well. 

Berkeley loses a ton. Armwood has been regressing. Gaither is loading up. 

right now just Tech and Jesuit should be top 25 in state from Hillsborough. 

Our OHS Kowboys are again primed for another outstanding season which our upcoming schedule clearly reflects, but I will keep my powder dry until we complete voluntary summer workouts and then fall camp.  I believe a lot can happen between now and late August for better or for worse.  Right now, our participation rate with our players is extremely high and they are working extremely hard so that is a huge plus at this stage of summer.  Toho HS should be interesting to watch over the next couple of years with Coach Paradiso (formerly Lake Nona) taking over the program.  His MO offensively over the years has relied on a well-schooled aerial attack producing several good QB's.  We have a young prospect (8th grader) out of Kissimmee named Sabby Meassick that played on our youth league teams the last few years and he has chosen to enroll at Toho rather than OHS.  He has size, arm strength and obvious talent as Gators Staff has already made him a verbal offer.  Have an inkling why he made this decision, but with that said don't want to speculate any further.  Looking forward to the kickoff for the upcoming season.  GO KOWBOYS!!

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Our OHS Kowboys are again primed for another outstanding season which our upcoming schedule clearly reflects, but I will keep my powder dry until we complete voluntary summer workouts and then fall camp.  I believe a lot can happen between now and late August for better or for worse.  Right now, our participation rate with our players is extremely high and they are working extremely hard so that is a huge plus at this stage of summer.  Toho HS should be interesting to watch over the next couple of years with Coach Paradiso (formerly Lake Nona) taking over the program.  His MO offensively over the years has relied on a well-schooled aerial attack producing several good QB's.  We have a young prospect (8th grader) out of Kissimmee named Sabby Meassick that played on our youth league teams the last few years and he has chosen to enroll at Toho rather than OHS.  He has size, arm strength and obvious talent as Gators Staff has already made him a verbal offer.  Have an inkling why he made this decision, but with that said don't want to speculate any further.  Looking forward to the kickoff for the upcoming season.  GO KOWBOYS!!

No doubt about this. And, as you know, that's not at all limited to transfers. Some players and teams will work their asses off and get much better, while others will be lazy, not improve, and show up to camp out of shape.

9 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Jesuit will still be solid. They return a 30 TD quarterback and 1900 yard rusher. The defensive loses a bit but a lot of younger guys got meaningful snaps. 

Tampa Bay Tech returns a good core too. They won’t skip a beat. They return more than Jesuit on defense, so they could be slightly ahead at least early in the season. Jesuit plays a way tougher schedule as well. 

Berkeley loses a ton. Armwood has been regressing. Gaither is loading up. 

right now just Tech and Jesuit should be top 25 in state from Hillsborough. 

Nolebull, I have heard commentary that Mitchell who has had 2 good seasons in a row returns a ton along with their coach who has been building there for awhile.  They gave Edgewater fits in 2020 then followed up with tough playoff lost to Wharton in 2021.  Any insight on them?

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Nolebull, I have heard commentary that Mitchell who has had 2 good seasons in a row returns a ton along with their coach who has been building there for awhile.  They gave Edgewater fits in 2020 then followed up with tough playoff lost to Wharton in 2021.  Any insight on them?

Pasco County doesn’t have them dudes. They played a heck of a game vs Edgewater but that is gonna be 3 seasons ago. They are good for Pasco. But that’s it. They are good for a round or 2. Trinity is an affluent suburb outside Tampa. They have the resources and fan support. They just don’t have the Jimmys and Joes to compete on a state level. And the coach doesn’t like challenging himself in the non district. They play one decent non district game for their standard (The Villages) and will probably lose that game 

2 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Pasco County doesn’t have them dudes. They played a heck of a game vs Edgewater but that is gonna be 3 seasons ago. They are good for Pasco. But that’s it. They are good for a round or 2. Trinity is an affluent suburb outside Tampa. They have the resources and fan support. They just don’t have the Jimmys and Joes to compete on a state level. And the coach doesn’t like challenging himself in the non district. They play one decent non district game for their standard (The Villages) and will probably lose that game 

What the coach needs to do is build a quality program that families in the area want to send their kids to. If they currently lack the talent to play with elite teams, it probably does no good to schedule one and get clobbered. But if they win most all of their games and build quality facilities and services and do it with class, they'll get better players. Tampa Plant, Jesuit, and Venice all come to mind as programs that didn't figure to have a ton of talent, but ended up able to play with the elites many years anyway.

8 minutes ago, skyway said:

What the coach needs to do is build a quality program that families in the area want to send their kids to. If they currently lack the talent to play with elite teams, it probably does no good to schedule one and get clobbered. But if they win most all of their games and build quality facilities and services and do it with class, they'll get better players. Tampa Plant, Jesuit, and Venice all come to mind as programs that didn't figure to have a ton of talent, but ended up able to play with the elites many years anyway.

He has done that as he has had 3 solid seasons in a row with his team qualifying for the playoffs each of those years, although never getting past the 2nd round.  But as Nolebull points out, if Pasco doesn't have the talent pool he is getting as much out of the program as can be expected.  Tough for a public school with that limited success to be drawing players out of an adjoining county that has several quality teams.  I only brought them up because I mistakenly assumed they were in Hillsborough and happy he pointed out they are actually in Pasco.  The examples you used though is like comparing apples and oranges.

10 hours ago, skyway said:

They have already done that. The winning is already there. Even though it’s against a lot of mediocre competition. What they need is more showcase games. Kids are not gonna want to transfer in or move to the zone to play Gulf, East Lake and Tarpon Springs. They need to be calling out Tech, Jesuit, Armwood, Polk and Orlando powers etc etc. 

Last year they had non district games against Fivay, Hudson, Leto!!, and River Ridge. And the other one was against Wiregrass and they got their teeth kicked in. Wiregrass was in a district with Tech, Armwood and Wharton. Then Wharton came to Mitchell and took care of business. 

Mitchell doesn’t get and will continue to not get respect and deservedly so because the coach is content with just being a Pasco power and nothing more. 

Sarasota High had a decent season last year, and only missed the playoffs by a couple of losses: Venice, Riverview, and Braden River. The strong core of their players returns and they have stepped up their comp this year, scheduling Manatee, Palmetto, and Southeast along with their district opponents. My boldest prediction for this season is that Sarasota wins at least one of the 4 games that they lost in 2021 between Venice, Riverview, Southeast, and Braden River, and makes the playoffs for the first time in years. 

North Port High is going independent this year in an attempt to push the reset button on their program. They have never made the playoffs in school history and have never even had a winning season. It appears that they have been bold and scheduled IMG National in Week 4; perhaps an all-out attempt to show their players what top-flight competition looks like. All the best to the Bobcats as they move forward. 

Riverview has brought back a good class and will once again challenge Venice for the district title. They get Venice at the Ram Bowl this season; could this be the year Riverview FINALLY defeats Venice and wins the district crown? Maybe. But Sarasota will not go down easily either. 

28 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Have you not been following along? I said the coach doesn’t like competition. Unless you think that lowly of Columbo :o

You could tell them we will be down like our fanbase says we will be every year and then only to find out our "down" is better than a lot of teams would ever get to 

Starting tomorrow I'm gonna release a regional Tier each day to give a sneak peak to my statewide rankings which will come in early August

As a note in advance these are not in any specific order and are instead split into general ranges of teams and how close I see each team, I won't release a SPECIFIC order until the state rankings in August and these are subject to change

• DisabledAccount changed the title to Preseason outlook (792 Sports/Columbiafan rankings [see page 6])