Preseason outlook (792 Sports/Columbiafan rankings [see page 6])

DisabledAccount

13 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

If you know you have the Jimmie's and the Joe's, plus they are dedicated to their craft you can't help but like your chances.  Getting to watch a couple of practices each week re-enforces that expectation.  Gonna be fun.:D

(Using my Allen Iverson voice) "Practice?  You talking practice?   Are teams practicing over the summer?"   B)

13 hours ago, Perspective said:

(Using my Allen Iverson voice) "Practice?  You talking practice?   Are teams practicing over the summer?"   B)

VOLUNTARY my friend, so all above board and the high participation rate especially by stars/leaders is impressive.  Truly fun to watch them work and invest the time to get better every day.  I am telling  you, it's gonna be fun. 

28 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

All teams have some form of conditioning or 7v7 during the summer 

Nothing new 

7 on 7 is allowed.  Great for the skill guys. 

Team conditioning is allowed.  Good for everyone. 

But, if you've got the whole team (skill guys and linemen) out on a field working together, running plays, etc., and a coach is present, that's called practice.  And if you're doing that before the pre-season starts, that's illegal. 

Please understand that I'm not pointing any of my fingers at Osceola.  For all I know, Ray just used that word interchangeably with 7 on 7 and/or conditioning.   Or, as his response suggests, kids are getting together, voluntarily, on their own, and without a coach present, to work on things.   Good for them.  I was just giving Ray a hard time about his choice of words, given how clear the FHSAA rules are on the subject of off-season practicing. 

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

7 on 7 is allowed.  Great for the skill guys. 

Team conditioning is allowed.  Good for everyone. 

But, if you've got the whole team (skill guys and linemen) out on a field working together, running plays, etc., and a coach is present, that's called practice.  And if you're doing that before the pre-season starts, that's illegal. 

Please understand that I'm not pointing any of my fingers at Osceola.  For all I know, Ray just used that word interchangeably with 7 on 7 and/or conditioning.   Or, as his response suggests, kids are getting together, voluntarily, on their own, and without a coach present, to work on things.   Good for them.  I was just giving Ray a hard time about his choice of words, given how clear the FHSAA rules are on the subject of off-season practicing. 

Correct and that's why MNW got in trouble recently during COVID because a coach was there 

Had they been doing it as a players only workout it's okay but if coaches are present they aren't allowed to be in pads and their work has to be limited to weight training, conditioning or 7v7 

I know that's how Columbia does during their summers, they also sometimes go to team camps with I think it was FACA as well as at colleges like Valdosta State and used to go to UCF but all those are permitted by the FHSAA to be involved in 

It's highly likely Osceola follows something similar to what Columbia does and some just call it practice out of habit

Stand corrected, if my use of the word practice implied they are lining up together, running plays, scrimmaging, full pads, etc... none of that is happening.  They lift weights for an hour then break into several different "Stations" for conditioning drills, ie... pulling/pushing sleds, cone drills, sprints, rope drill, etc...for the next hour or so.  All on a strictly volunteer basis.  I do see the HC around, just not directing any of this activity.  

15 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Stand corrected, if my use of the word practice implied they are lining up together, running plays, scrimmaging, full pads, etc... none of that is happening.  They lift weights for an hour then break into several different "Stations" for conditioning drills, ie... pulling/pushing sleds, cone drills, sprints, rope drill, etc...for the next hour or so.  All on a strictly volunteer basis.  I do see the HC around, just not directing any of this activity.  

Everything there sounds by the book to me 

Otherwise there's a lot of teams who could get punished for out of season practicing

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Standard off-season conditioning.  Totally legal -- although, technically, I think anyone enrolled at the school can participate if they want to . . .  it just so happens that that never happens.  :P

Just now, Perspective said:

Standard off-season conditioning.  Totally legal -- although, technically, I think anyone enrolled at the school can participate if they want to . . .  it just so happens that that never happens.  :P

I've seen plenty of non football people running the stadium during the summer at the same time football is doing conditioning

Even if some within the school tend to forget this detail, the stadium at Columbia High School was paid for and owned by the county so the high school doesn't have exclusive rights to the stadium and it can be used by the community as a recreational facility which is why people are allowed to walk the track during certain hours 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Correct and that's why MNW got in trouble recently during COVID because a coach was there

Columbia, this came up a couple of years ago.   As I recall, the County gave the coach a slap on the wrist, but the FHSAA never did anything.   At one point, I think someone inquired and the FHSAA said no one had filed a complaint.   So someone on this Board sent in a complaint through the FHSAA website.  And, to my knowledge, still nothing happened.   To me, it was a blatant violation of FHSAA rules and the FHSAA did nothing about it.  

I would love to stand corrected if anyone has an update on this. 

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

Columbia, this came up a couple of years ago.   As I recall, the County gave the coach a slap on the wrist, but the FHSAA never did anything.   At one point, I think someone inquired and the FHSAA said no one had filed a complaint.   So someone on this Board sent in a complaint through the FHSAA website.  And, to my knowledge, still nothing happened.   To me, it was a blatant violation of FHSAA rules and the FHSAA did nothing about it.  

I would love to stand corrected if anyone has an update on this. 

If it was Columbia we would have gotten SMU'ed

On 6/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, KeemD321 said:

In Brevard the top 2 are Cocoa and Rockledge.

Merritt Island and Melbourne are looking to make noise again.

The talks around Palm Bay is that they are on the rise but they've been saying that for the past 3 seasons since they have a highly ranked DE that is back healthy for his senior season. But we will see how far they have come when they play Cocoa in what should be the district championship game.

Bayside has some playmakers and should be improved. 

My dark horse in Brevard is Heritage, the young core they had in 2020 is still together and should have the experience now to go along with their talent.

And of Eau Gallie should be improved with the talent they've had and still have. But we will see if they will be able to back up all the talk they've been throwing around on twitter.

Cocoa got about 13 transfers and they are loaded… playing some big time games against Jones, St Thomas, Seminole, Rockledge, Melbourne and one TBD

Rock doesn’t have the traditional big oline they have relied on in the past but they are easily the number 2 team in Brevard and picked up about 5-6 transfers… it will come down to their junior QBs progress coming off a collar bone injury last year 

Merritt Island- lost everyone, coaches and players… tough year for them but got a good QB.  

Melbourne, only team in the county I believe other than Cocoa that can beat Rockledge this year

Eau Gallie… young team with promising talent (lot of offers) but coming off a disappointing 3-7 season. Their schedule is not impressive which most would assume that means the coaches aren’t confident the young team is ready for prime time 

Palm Bay…. Burke is back but they are fake news and in a tough district with Cocoa 

4 hours ago, LetsGo said:

Cocoa got about 13 transfers and they are loaded… playing some big time games against Jones, St Thomas, Seminole, Rockledge, Melbourne and one TBD

Rock doesn’t have the traditional big oline they have relied on in the past but they are easily the number 2 team in Brevard and picked up about 5-6 transfers… it will come down to their junior QBs progress coming off a collar bone injury last year 

Merritt Island- lost everyone, coaches and players… tough year for them but got a good QB.  

Melbourne, only team in the county I believe other than Cocoa that can beat Rockledge this year

Eau Gallie… young team with promising talent (lot of offers) but coming off a disappointing 3-7 season. Their schedule is not impressive which most would assume that means the coaches aren’t confident the young team is ready for prime time 

Palm Bay…. Burke is back but they are fake news and in a tough district with Cocoa 

I bet Cocoa shocks STA on ESPN... could be the upset of the year considering how strong Cocoa’s defense is going to be. Only lost one DB and Virgil Marshall. I remember they called him “Swipe” because of how fast he was, almost running the route better than a receiver and swatting the ball away or getting the INT. Plus, Ryan Schneider was the OC at STA for a few years;  he probably knows a few things about STA that will help them when the time comes to plan for them. 

Going to be an awesome, low-scoring slugfest of a showdown between the Tigers and Raiders week 3. 

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I bet Cocoa shocks STA on ESPN... could be the upset of the year considering how strong Cocoa’s defense is going to be. Only lost one DB and Virgil Marshall. I remember they called him “Swipe” because of how fast he was, almost running the route better than a receiver and swatting the ball away or getting the INT. Plus, Ryan Schneider was the OC at STA for a few years;  he probably knows a few things about STA that will help them when the time comes to plan for them. 

Going to be an awesome, low-scoring slugfest of a showdown between the Tigers and Raiders week 3. 

Will the game be at STA ?

On 7/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

It should be a better game than most people are expecting for sure.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, LetsGo said:

Rockledge's line play should be good anchored by rising senior and Florida commit Bryce Lovett who I'm sure has been getting some extra work in with his brother who is currently at Mizzou. Cocoa and Rockledge pretty much been trading players back and forth this off season mainly on the defensive side of the ball. Cocoa also lost a couple players to Merritt Island as well as picked up a few from Merritt Island. Holy trinity lost majority of their team to 3 teams, Cocoa, Rockledge and Eau Gallie with Cocoa and Rockledge coming out with the better of the players. Albeit Cocoa got the top playmaker from Holy Trinity along with their former head coach who got offered multiple jobs within 30mins of losing the Holy Trinity job. 

On 6/30/2022 at 2:39 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Sarasota High had a decent season last year, and only missed the playoffs by a couple of losses: Venice, Riverview, and Braden River. The strong core of their players returns and they have stepped up their comp this year, scheduling Manatee, Palmetto, and Southeast along with their district opponents. My boldest prediction for this season is that Sarasota wins at least one of the 4 games that they lost in 2021 between Venice, Riverview, Southeast, and Braden River, and makes the playoffs for the first time in years. 

North Port High is going independent this year in an attempt to push the reset button on their program. They have never made the playoffs in school history and have never even had a winning season. It appears that they have been bold and scheduled IMG National in Week 4; perhaps an all-out attempt to show their players what top-flight competition looks like. All the best to the Bobcats as they move forward. 

Riverview has brought back a good class and will once again challenge Venice for the district title. They get Venice at the Ram Bowl this season; could this be the year Riverview FINALLY defeats Venice and wins the district crown? Maybe. But Sarasota will not go down easily either. 

North Port has also scheduled Poinciana!

• DisabledAccount changed the title to Preseason outlook (792 Sports/Columbiafan rankings [see page 6])