Preseason outlook (792 Sports/Columbiafan rankings [see page 6])

DisabledAccount

53 minutes ago, Beek said:

North Port has also scheduled Poinciana!

Going to be a very tough game for the Bobcats to win. I’ve heard only good things about Poinciana this season. I’m glad North Port is stepping up to the plate and scheduling tougher opponents than usual. Bold Prediction: I bet they have their first winning season in school history within the next 3 years. 

50 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Going to be a very tough game for the Bobcats to win. I’ve heard only good things about Poinciana this season. I’m glad North Port is stepping up to the plate and scheduling tougher opponents than usual. Bold Prediction: I bet they have their first winning season in school history within the next 3 years. 

We appreciate the vote of confidence. We have had a few kids come home. Meaning kids who were originally zoned for Poinciana that have been elsewhere decided to come to Poinciana for their senior year.

6 hours ago, Beek said:

We appreciate the vote of confidence. We have had a few kids come home. Meaning kids who were originally zoned for Poinciana that have been elsewhere decided to come to Poinciana for their senior year.

Poinciana got some transfers this off season. I was told that at least two of them were starters for Osceola. Gotta win now 

36 minutes ago, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

Poinciana got some transfers this off season. I was told that at least two of them were starters for Osceola. Gotta win now 

They may have transferred back from Osceola, but your info that they were starters is dubious.  Maybe Coach Beek can confirm their identity although Perry Garrett is definitely one and he was a backup running back who was going to be relegated to that role again, plus DJ Cummings a backup receiver.    Only starter transferring out I know of has enrolled at Winter Park HS as a slot receiver Izaiah Jean-Baptiste with no other starters lost.   We have a solid receiving corps in place for the upcoming season as well as the RB group.  Those players Poinciana is getting back should help them, I certainly hope it benefits them as well as the players themselves. 

I can confirm that those 2 are enrolled at Poinciana, Perry had a great game for us in the spring. It has defiantly benefited him as he already has multiple offers on the table. We already have some things working for DJ, and should be able to confirm a offer for him in the next few days and he hasnt even played a down for us. I have no idea who starts and who doesnt at Osceola. Those 2 will be difference makers for us. You have to remember our dismal season last year which involved removing most of our seniors. We are returning 10 varsity starters and a bunch of kids who played varsity because we had no choice. We too have had at least 4 kids leave for greener grass to 1 school, just slightly out of county. I wish them the best of luck in their new place. I have always said. If Poinciana could just have the kids who are zoned for Poinciana we could compete. I know numerous kids playing for other teams who are zoned for Poinciana. But the flip side to that is you do have to have something to offer. The one thing we do well is get kids into schools. If the player takes the offer or not is up to them. 

We are playing an independent schedule again this year in hopes to bring success to the program. We finally have stability in coaching, which has never happened here. The district we were slated for would not have done us any good right now. Hopefully in a year or 2 with success we can rejoin a district and finally compete at that level. 

36 minutes ago, Beek said:

I can confirm that those 2 are enrolled at Poinciana, Perry had a great game for us in the spring. I have no idea who starts and who doesnt at Osceola. Those 2 will be difference makers for us. You have to remember our dismal season last year which involved removing most of our seniors. We are returning 10 varsity starters and a bunch of kids who played varsity because we had no choice. We too have had at least 4 kids leave for greener grass to 1 school, just slightly out of county. I wish them the best of luck in their new place. I have always said. If Poinciana could just have the kids who are zoned for Poinciana we could compete. I know numerous kids playing for other teams who are zoned for Poinciana. But the flip side to that is you do have to have something to offer. The one thing we do well is get kids into schools. If the player takes the offer or not is up to them. 

We are playing an independent schedule again this year in hopes to bring success to the program. We finally have stability in coaching, which has never happened here. The district we were slated for would not have done us any good right now. Hopefully in a year or 2 with success we can rejoin a district and finally compete at that level. 

Good luck for the upcoming season coach as the stability issue is key.  Any good organization takes time and effort to build so if you can keep a stable staff of coaches it will definitely happen.  Poinciana does have athletes as they prove in basketball most years giving us fits on the court, so it can happen in football.  As a close follower of the Osceola roster, neither of those two were starters but got significant playing time and did contribute to our success.  They should do the same there.  

18 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Good luck for the upcoming season coach as the stability issue is key.  Any good organization takes time and effort to build so if you can keep a stable staff of coaches it will definitely happen.  Poinciana does have athletes as they prove in basketball most years giving us fits on the court, so it can happen in football.  As a close follower of the Osceola roster, neither of those two were starters but got significant playing time and did contribute to our success.  They should do the same there.  

Thank you. 

On 7/22/2022 at 10:32 PM, Ray Icaza said:

On the flip side, the big news in our local newspaper sports page was the transfer of Oniel Senatus RB/DB from Celebration  to Osceola.  He is an extremely talented football player and was selected as our county's top 2 way player last season.  He gained 1800+ yards on the ground last year with over 2200 all purpose yards, 27 total TD's as well as 51 tackles on defense while earning 3rd team all-state in 8A.   He will join Taevion Swint, Akeem Knox, Bryce Reed and Elijah Melendez in a stocked running back room.   We are fortunate to add this weapon to our team. 

On 7/22/2022 at 9:49 PM, Beek said:

I can confirm that those 2 are enrolled at Poinciana, Perry had a great game for us in the spring. It has defiantly benefited him as he already has multiple offers on the table. We already have some things working for DJ, and should be able to confirm a offer for him in the next few days and he hasnt even played a down for us. I have no idea who starts and who doesnt at Osceola. Those 2 will be difference makers for us. You have to remember our dismal season last year which involved removing most of our seniors. We are returning 10 varsity starters and a bunch of kids who played varsity because we had no choice. We too have had at least 4 kids leave for greener grass to 1 school, just slightly out of county. I wish them the best of luck in their new place. I have always said. If Poinciana could just have the kids who are zoned for Poinciana we could compete. I know numerous kids playing for other teams who are zoned for Poinciana. But the flip side to that is you do have to have something to offer. The one thing we do well is get kids into schools. If the player takes the offer or not is up to them. 

Going the independent route will definitely bring confidence and key success to a rebuilding program. Just look at what Satellite was able to do with their culture change. Now just gotta see if they can sustain or if they will trend back down

6 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Going the independent route will definitely bring confidence and key success to a rebuilding program. Just look at what Satellite was able to do with their culture change. Now just gotta see if they can sustain or if they will trend back down

Well first things first, we have to trend up before we can trend back down. Having been at the bottom for ever, there is only one way to go!  This years kids are motivated and have a great attitude among the team. Nothing negative! More kids than ever in the weight room this summer. More coaches than ever too!  

Tonight, these three KOWBOYS made verbal commitments to the schools of their choice.  Only surprise was John Walker as I thought he was leaning heavily to OSU Buckeyes or Gators but ended up selecting UCF which is a tremendous get for them as he is rated one of the top 10 DL in the country.  Ja'Keem Jackson DB went with Gators over Alabama and Georgia while Derrick LeBlanc DE went with Oklahoma Sooners over Florida and Penn State.  Last week it was Bo Mascoe DB selecting Rutgers and LaCory Walker DB seems to be down to Ole Miss, Louisville, Iowa State and a couple of others.  With all of them in fold starting practices in earnest on Monday on the defensive side, things look very promising for the upcoming season.  In addition, several more players have gotten offers but will wait as they expect those to increase.  

7 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Tonight, these three KOWBOYS made verbal commitments to the schools of their choice.  Only surprise was John Walker as I thought he was leaning heavily to OSU Buckeyes or Gators but ended up selecting UCF which is a tremendous get for them as he is rated one of the top 10 DL in the country.  Ja'Keem Jackson DB went with Gators over Alabama and Georgia while Derrick LeBlanc DE went with Oklahoma Sooners over Florida and Penn State.  Last week it was Bo Mascoe DB selecting Rutgers and LaCory Walker DB seems to be down to Ole Miss, Louisville, Iowa State and a couple of others.  With all of them in fold starting practices in earnest on Monday on the defensive side, things look very promising for the upcoming season.  In addition, several more players have gotten offers but will wait as they expect those to increase.  

That's a tremendous amount of talent on any one team, much less one side of the ball for any one team. 

On 7/29/2022 at 8:16 AM, Perspective said:

That's a tremendous amount of talent on any one team, much less one side of the ball for any one team. 

I didn't even mention the DT that plays alongside Walker, Elijah Palermo who will return as a 3rd year starter but hasn't gotten the notice because of profiling (6' and 280 lbs).  He does have an offer from Allen University and a couple of others but doesn't pass the eyeball test so overlooked.  He is all heart and hustle refusing to be blocked resulting in the 2nd leading tackler on the team with over 60 (Walker led with almost 80).   LB's didn't get much work as when do you see 2 DT's lead your team in tackles??  We do have 2 excellent LB's in senior Drevon Lee and upcoming sophomore Robert Mikal Lee who will each play at the next level somewhere.  And as good as our DB's are (Bo was selected first team 8A last year), we have a crop of talented youngsters waiting their turn behind them:  Jalen Bell (6'3" 180), Jayden Bradford (6'1" 170), Jeff Banks (5'10'" 165) plus the 2-way transfer Oniel Senatus who had 51 tackles at Celebration last year.   Offensively we are younger with only 1 senior on the OL Jimarion McCrimon (6'5" 260) who has offers from USF, Western Kentucky, Appalachian State, Western Carolina, Georgia State, etc... The rest are underclassmen led by Noah Manderson (6'5" 310), Thomas Gearity (6'4" 280), Joseph Green (6'1" 270), Antonio Cruz (6'0" 260) and several others so we are greatly improved in that position group.  Taevion Swint RB will be featured as a returning sophomore who already has offers from FL, FSU, USF, Minnesota, Louisville, etc. along with other backs with varsity experience.  Then you add in the Senatus kid who gained over 1800 yards rushing last year and that is a terrific position group also.  Our QB, Gunner Holland rising junior has been on varsity 2 straight years; 3rd string as a freshmen and 2nd string last year.  I am convinced he can do the job.  

24 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I didn't even mention the DT that plays alongside Walker, Elijah Palermo who will return as a 3rd year starter but hasn't gotten the notice because of profiling (6' and 280 lbs).  He does have an offer from Allen University and a couple of others but doesn't pass the eyeball test so overlooked.  He is all heart and hustle refusing to be blocked resulting in the 2nd leading tackler on the team with over 60 (Walker led with almost 80).   LB's didn't get much work as when do you see 2 DT's lead your team in tackles??  We do have 2 excellent LB's in senior Drevon Lee and upcoming sophomore Robert Mikal Lee who will each play at the next level somewhere.  And as good as our DB's are (Bo was selected first team 8A last year), we have a crop of talented youngsters waiting their turn behind them:  Jalen Bell (6'3" 180), Jayden Bradford (6'1" 170), Jeff Banks (5'10'" 165) plus the 2-way transfer Oniel Senatus who had 51 tackles at Celebration last year.   Offensively we are younger with only 1 senior on the OL Jimarion McCrimon (6'5" 260) who has offers from USF, Western Kentucky, Western Carolina, Georgia State, etc... The rest are underclassmen led by Noah Manderson (6'5" 310), Thomas Gearity (6'4" 280), Joseph Green (6'1" 270), Antonio Cruz (6'0" 260) and several others so we are greatly improved in that position group.  Taevion Swint RB will be featured as a returning sophomore who already has offers from FL, FSU, USF, Minnesota, Louisville, etc. along with other backs with varsity experience.  Then you add in the Senatus kid who gained over 1800 yards rushing last year and that is a terrific position group also.  Our QB, Gunner Holland rising junior has been on varsity 2 straight years; 3rd string as a freshmen and 2hd string last year.  I am convinced he can do the job.  

Just to be clear, my analysis is not based on someone else's opinion, postings on twitter, IG, coach speak, etc...  It is 50 years of watching these kids and solely my view by personally attending practice generally a couple of times a week believing what my own eyes tell me.   Granted, it still is only an opinion.  

47 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Just to be clear, my analysis is not based on someone else's opinion, postings on twitter, IG, coach speak, etc...  It is 50 years of watching these kids and solely my view by personally attending practice generally a couple of times a week believing what my own eyes tell me.   Granted, it still is only an opinion.  

Dang, Ray, the Kowboys should win a state championship this year . . . as long as they don't have to play Dillard, Madison, Lakeland or Miami Central (did I catch all of them?).   :D

10 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Dang, Ray, the Kowboys should win a state championship this year . . . as long as they don't have to play Dillard, Madison, Lakeland or Miami Central (did I catch all of them?).   :D

10 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I am sure there are others but Lakeland is the 3rd regular season game on 9/16 at Bryant Denny, so looking forward to that matchup.  This is just my preseason analysis of our team with official practices beginning Monday which should slow down the transfer carousel for most teams which gives a pretty clear picture of your own personnel. 

12 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Lots of good ballplayers for the Kowboys!

I'm finishing up watching last season's Youtube documentary now.  It's interesting to see the coaches be very aware of the disparity that existed between that team's offense and defense. The "self-esteeem" of the defense was much higher than that of the offense. I guess the young OL had a lot to do with that?

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

I am sure there are others but Lakeland is the 3rd regular season game on 9/16 at Bryant Denny, so looking forward to that matchup.  This is just my preseason analysis of our team with official practices beginning Monday which should slow down the transfer carousel for most teams which gives a pretty clear picture of your own personnel. 

The potential of Lakeland and Osceola playing each other twice brings back some memories, some good, some not so much!  

Recent experiences informs that we won't have any clue what the rosters will look like until everyone is accounted for Monday afternoon. Still noticing some movement on Twitter, hudl etc. It is the wild west!

51 minutes ago, skyway said:

Lots of good ballplayers for the Kowboys!

I'm finishing up watching last season's Youtube documentary now.  It's interesting to see the coaches be very aware of the disparity that existed between that team's offense and defense. The "self-esteeem" of the defense was much higher than that of the offense. I guess the young OL had a lot to do with that?

The documentary reflected the high hopes the coaching staff had for a state title after reaching the finals the previous year, mostly because of a throwing QB in Chad Mascoe.    I never bought into that because of the clear youth and inexperience of our OL, with one returning starter (McCrimon) while having zero varsity experience with any other member of that position group.   The script is flipped this year with all those underclassmen returning plus the 2 additional OL transfers that will make an impact, so it will be a strength rather than a weakness.  Plus we have improved in the kicking game as well.  The defense virtually returns intact losing only 2 DB's, Jeremiah Wilson going to Syracuse and Kaylon Walters to Charleston Southern. Lamont Lee an excellent LB had to go the JuCo route and we will miss him.  We may go a decade without a 4* athlete and this team has 3;  Bo Mascoe is considered a 3* yet in my opinion he is our best DB while John Walker undoubtedly will end up a 5*.  I didn't see an "Esteem" issue with the offense, just youth (9th & 10th graders) and no varsity experience.  It showed against the real good defensive fronts we played as those top teams usually beat you in the trenches.   Going forward they won't be overwhelmed like last year.  Thus my outlook for this season.  

1 hour ago, skyway said:

The potential of Lakeland and Osceola playing each other twice brings back some memories, some good, some not so much!  

Recent experiences informs that we won't have any clue what the rosters will look like until everyone is accounted for Monday afternoon. Still noticing some movement on Twitter, hudl etc. It is the wild west!

Two years ago we lost a real good running back to transfer after he played the first 2 games with us before attending a private school, so yes the wild west is alive and well.  Just that it slows to a crawl now with the season upon us.  Our 1st practice is Monday morning, where Lakeland may be in the PM. 

Just a few days until fall practice starts and the perfect champ man from last season (yours truly) releases the biggest preseason preview I've ever done as I broke down classifications, regions, districts, and did tier and numerical rankings for the entire state 

Expect it Monday night or Tuesday afternoon!! You won't want to miss it! #FootballIsHere

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Just a few days until fall practice starts and the perfect champ man from last season (yours truly) releases the biggest preseason preview I've ever done as I broke down classifications, regions, districts, and did tier and numerical rankings for the entire state 

Expect it Monday night or Tuesday afternoon!! You won't want to miss it! #FootballIsHere

Looking forward to it! 

16 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'll speak for the rest of us and say that we'll just let you do all the heavy lifting and hard work. Then, we'll read what you post, at which time we'll just ignore all the analysis that is spot on and instead point out the two or three places where you missed the mark.  B)

• DisabledAccount changed the title to Preseason outlook (792 Sports/Columbiafan rankings [see page 6])