Does STA really build "All-Star" teams?

BrowardHandicapper

I always here the talk of STA having/hording the best of the best in South Florida.  I hear talk and terminology of "transfers" , "recruiting", "stacking"  and "all-star team" related to STA.  My argument is they don't. The best players in SFL are scattered throughout probably 10+ schools.  The better description for STA is probably the most depth - not the most all-stars.  That said, it is other elements then talent that make STA the program it is.

all′-star`

adj.

1. consisting of athletes chosen as the best at their positions from all teams in a league or region: an all-star team.
2. consisting entirely of star performers: an all-star cast.

I always here the talk of STA having/hording the best of the best in South Florida. I hear talk and terminology of "transfers" , "recruiting", "stacking" and "all-star team" related to STA. My argument is they don't. The best players in SFL are scattered throughout probably 10+ schools. The better description for STA is probably the most depth - not the most all-stars. That said, it is other elements then talent that make STA the program it is.

all′-star`

adj.

1. consisting of athletes chosen as the best at their positions from all teams in a league or region: an all-star team.

2. consisting entirely of star performers: an all-star cast.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/all-star

Over 20 players with d1 offers? Sounds like almost a entire starting lineup of D1 players I would call that all star team

Over 20 players with d1 offers? Sounds like almost a entire starting lineup of D1 players I would call that all star team

If I gave you a list of arguably the 10 best players in SFL and only ONE was a STA player would that change your logic?  If I gave you a list of 5+ other schools with 15+ D1 players in SFL would that change your logic? Carefully read the definition of "All-Star".

I'm a big fan of the old days where high school football was community vs. community. But I also realize that the landscape has changed drastically over the last 25 years. Kids want to get exposure and most believe the only way to do that is to go to a nationally known, winning team. STA takes full advantage of that, which is made considerably easier by the lack of geographical boundaries they have to work within.

While I am not a fan of private schools and public schools being put in the same categories, I think the STA hype has been built up to be bigger than it really is. Since 2004, I believe St. Thomas has 2 undefeated seasons (15-0). So, at least one team in 10 of the last 12 years has found a way to beat them (Lakeland in 3 of those seasons :D ). If they had gone consistently 15-0, I think a bigger case could be made against them. But in the end, they can be beaten. A team just has to put it all together on the right night in December.

Note: My comments do not apply to the recruiting machine that is IMG. IMO, that team should never be considered eligible for the playoffs on any high school level in Florida, or be ranked as equals to the high schools in Florida. 

I also just think it is interesting how when STA has an incoming transfer "the rich get richer" mentality is applied to them by many.  No one makes a peep when STA has transfers out though.  No one makes a peep about the fact that there are several other schools (public and private) in SFL that have had more incoming transfers than STA. No one wants to hear that there are several other schools with more talent than STA at certain positions .  - Because STA is an "All-Star team!"

I'm a big fan of the old days where high school football was community vs. community. But I also realize that the landscape has changed drastically over the last 25 years. Kids want to get exposure and most believe the only way to do that is to go to a nationally known, winning team. STA takes full advantage of that, which is made considerably easier by the lack of geographical boundaries they have to work within.

While I am not a fan of private schools and public schools being put in the same categories, I think the STA hype has been built up to be bigger than it really is. Since 2004, I believe St. Thomas has 2 undefeated seasons (15-0). So, at least one team in 10 of the last 12 years has found a way to beat them (Lakeland in 3 of those seasons :D ). If they had gone consistently 15-0, I think a bigger case could be made against them. But in the end, they can be beaten. A team just has to put it all together on the right night in December.

Note: My comments do not apply to the recruiting machine that is IMG. IMO, that team should never be considered eligible for the playoffs on any high school level in Florida, or be ranked as equals to the high schools in Florida. 

No one is forcing any Florida team to play IMG. They are independent which means they have no district and teams that are forced to play them. They already are not eligible for any playoffs. So, I don't understand the conflict. If a school wants to play them would you bar that school from playing them? They are a school that has a mission of producing professional athletes for which the students pay a bundle. IMG makes no bones about their operation. IMG mostly plays out of state powers. Four Florida teams have chosen to test their skills against IMG this season, Boyd Anderson, Oxbridge Academy, TCA, and Chaminade. Maybe these teams feel that they should challenge a very good team and also challenge themselves to see where they are in the mix. I think that's an excellent idea and should not be hampered by some bureaucrat in the FHSAA or in Tallahassee.  

No one is forcing any Florida team to play IMG. They are independent which means they have no district and teams that are forced to play them. They already are not eligible for any playoffs. So, I don't understand the conflict. If a school wants to play them would you bar that school from playing them? They are a school that has a mission of producing professional athletes for which the students pay a bundle. IMG makes no bones about their operation. IMG mostly plays out of state powers. Four Florida teams have chosen to test their skills against IMG this season, Boyd Anderson, Oxbridge Academy, TCA, and Chaminade. Maybe these teams feel that they should challenge a very good team and also challenge themselves to see where they are in the mix. I think that's an excellent idea and should not be hampered by some bureaucrat in the FHSAA or in Tallahassee.

I have no problem with them playing whoever they want to play more power to them, but I don't like them being ranked over Florida teams in polls that can't do the same things they do i.e. recruit legally from anywhere in the national and then for people to pretend that they are on equal playing field as other Florida teams, ik broward will probley say something bout that but its my opinion and you all did see I didn't rank img in any of my Florida polls but if you all want to then fine by me but I'm not going to

I have no problem with them playing whoever they want to play more power to them, but I don't like them being ranked over Florida teams in polls that can't do the same things they do i.e. recruit legally from anywhere in the national and then for people to pretend that they are on equal playing field as other Florida teams, ik broward will probley say something bout that but its my opinion and you all did see I didn't rank img in any of my Florida polls but if you all want to then fine by me but I'm not going to

I thought this was string was related to STA. I guess when the truth and facts are exposed on a team/topic, we move on to the next team to bash. Also, not for nothing but I have seen IMG included in nearly every national poll that I have come across but we'll save that for another topic.

I thought this was string was related to STA. I guess when expose the truth and facts on a team/topic, we move on to the next team to bash. Also, not frothing but I have seen IMG included in nearly every national poll that I have come across but we'll save that for another topic.

I didn't bring img to be fair, but I did respond how I felt about STA then it shifted to img for some reason and then I commented on that ;)

I thought this was string was related to STA. I guess when expose the truth and facts on a team/topic, we move on to the next team to bash. Also, not frothing but I have seen IMG included in nearly every national poll that I have come across but we'll save that for another topic.

Note: My comments do not apply to the recruiting machine that is IMG. IMO, that team should never be considered eligible for the playoffs on any high school level in Florida, or be ranked as equals to the high schools in Florida. This was posted by GWDrum75 and I responded in kind.

Note: My comments do not apply to the recruiting machine that is IMG. IMO, that team should never be considered eligible for the playoffs on any high school level in Florida, or be ranked as equals to the high schools in Florida. This was posted by GWDrum75 and I responded in kind.

Yep. I was commenting on the original topic of whether STA should be considered an All-Star team. Then comparing and contrasting to my opinion on IMG as a minor footnote.

But Many on this board believe that If iMG & STA played STA would Win convingly...so iMG must not be unbeatable after all ...i really wanna see that matchup i will miss a dillard game for that.

All good, all opinions are appreciated.  I was just looking for some opinions on the original topic question.  I just don't think STA should be called an All-Star team like many label them because they simply overall do not have the best of the best on their roster.  They have the most depth overall but they do do not define a All - Star team IMO.

But Many on this board believe that If iMG & STA played STA would Win convingly...so iMG must not be unbeatable after all ...i really wanna see that matchup i will miss a dillard game for that.

That would be a hell of a game. I think the outcome may depend on when the game is played (beginning of the season vs. end). I would give STA a good chance at the beginning, but I think IMG would roll at the end. It would give all those players time to gel (like a typical all-star team).

All good, all opinions are appreciated.  I was just looking for some opinions on the original topic question.  I just don't think STA should be called an All-Star team like many label them because they simply overall do not have the best of the best on their roster.  They have the most depth overall but they do do not define a All - Star team IMO.

I agree. As I said, I'm not a fan of private schools being considered on a level playing field with publics. But, in the end STA is still essentially a South Florida team that just has a much larger area to pull from than a traditional public school. And the new transfer rules will probably start to even that up fairly quickly (for those public schools that kids want to transfer to).

That would be a hell of a game. I think the outcome may depend on when the game is played (beginning of the season vs. end). I would give STA a good chance at the beginning, but I think IMG would roll at the end. It would give all those players time to gel (like a typical all-star team).

I agree. As I said, I'm not a fan of private schools being considered on a level playing field with publics. But, in the end STA is still essentially a South Florida team that just has a much larger area to pull from than a traditional public school. And the new transfer rules will probably start to even that up fairly quickly (for those public schools that kids want to transfer to).

Like us? ;)

You can have more then one all star team brah,lol, there is enough talent to go around down in south Florida to have more then one juggernaut

No you can't. Read the definition of All-Star at the start of this string. All-time Star would mean the best of the best in a area more specifically - all teams and leagues in a region. If I made a SFL All-time Star team, it would consist of many players that do not play for STA. It may consist of AHP,Deerfield, Chaminade,Dillard,BoydAnderson,Flanagan,Columbus,Southridge,BTW,Central and others..I figured 10 would be enough to understand my point.

No you can't. Read the definition of All-Star at the start of this string. All-time Star would mean the best of the best in a area more specifically - all teams and leagues in a region. If I made a SFL All-time Star team, it would consist of many players that do not play for STA. It may consist of AHP,Deerfield, Chaminade,Dillard,BoydAnderson,Flanagan,Columbus,Southridge,BTW,Central and others..I figured 10 would be enough to understand my point.

If you take the backups of this "all star team" they are likely starters in other areas