Lake City Columbia 2022 Season Preview (more to come in August)

DisabledAccount

I'll have a more detailed breakdown of my preview of Columbia once the summer is over and I have a chance to get out there in the fall to see a practice but for now I'll go ahead and post the 2023 and 2024 classes via 24/7 sports of key players 

I also recommend people go and compare it to Naples, Rockledge, Pine Forest, and Mainland and come back and tell me how anyone can justify that Columbia isn't at least on par or competitive with said teams 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Columbia is a recruited up transfer all star team. 

The preseason game against Suwannee is gonna look like an intersquad scrimmage for the Bulldogs 

So 6 transfers make them a recruited up all star team but Riverside getting 10 is fair 

Hell Middleburg and Buchholz both have more transfers than Columbia, we just leveled the playing field 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So 6 transfers make them a recruited up all star team but Riverside getting 10 is fair 

Hell Middleburg and Buchholz both have more transfers than Columbia, we just leveled the playing field 

I’m just busting you. The word “transfer” doesn’t mean “good” you can have 10 transfers but none of them are D1 prospects and another team can have 4 D1 prospects that are the 4-5 stars. Who you taking? 

12 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I’m just busting you. The word “transfer” doesn’t mean “good” you can have 10 transfers but none of them are D1 prospects and another team can have 4 D1 prospects that are the 4-5 stars. Who you taking? 

I'll take the second one but not every team getting 10 transfers are gonna be unknowns

In terms of what I saw as major transfers for Columbia they have 2 FBS players and a potential future FBS player 

4* WR Camdon Frier who played middle school ball in Lake City before going to Suwannee so he's just returning home 

3* QB Tyler Jefferson who probably would have been here last year if Coach Jackson had ended up at Columbia sooner and his dad is now a coach at Columbia

And LB Lecosta Byrd is a upcoming sophomore who did really solid over at Fort White last year and had like 130 or something tackles as a freshman, his uncle is a coach at Columbia and has been since last year 

Word is we got 2 more from Suwannee but I haven't figured out names yet but unless I missed one I see 5 by that count, overall Columbia was a contender before the transfers in 3S and may be the front runner now if the OL takes a step forward but we will know where Columbia stands early on 

Within first 5 games with Buchholz, Union, DeLand, Madison and TCA 

7 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'll take the second one but not every team getting 10 transfers are gonna be unknowns

In terms of what I saw as major transfers for Columbia they have 2 FBS players and a potential future FBS player 

4* WR Camdon Frier who played middle school ball in Lake City before going to Suwannee so he's just returning home 

3* QB Tyler Jefferson who probably would have been here last year if Coach Jackson had ended up at Columbia sooner and his dad is now a coach at Columbia

And LB Lecosta Byrd is a upcoming sophomore who did really solid over at Fort White last year and had like 130 or something tackles as a freshman, his uncle is a coach at Columbia and has been since last year 

Word is we got 2 more from Suwannee but I haven't figured out names yet but unless I missed one I see 5 by that count, overall Columbia was a contender before the transfers in 3S and may be the front runner now if the OL takes a step forward but we will know where Columbia stands early on 

Within first 5 games with Buchholz, Union, DeLand, Madison and TCA 

You are right about that, early schedule will be a good indicator. 

Just now, Ray Icaza said:

You are right about that, early schedule will be a good indicator. 

Realistically if Columbia can go 5-0 with that schedule they probably will head into the playoffs undefeated

Second half of the schedule is a bit lighter with the three district games and Gadsden County

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

On a serious note I see TCA as the biggest threat to derail our chances of an undefeated regular season

That game will tell me how big of a threat Columbia is in 3S

Trinity vs Columbia is always one of my favorite games !!! It goes either way every time! Never no whose gonna win out of these 2 

I'll probably go check out their scrimmage next week and see how the program looks, biggest thing heading into the season is the OL, if the OL can develop and carry their weight this is a Columbia team that can win 3S because I feel very good about the defense and with Tyler Jefferson at QB and the weapons he has at WR the passing game should be good and open up some run lanes since Jefferson is a scrambler but them winning a championship comes down to the OL 

9 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Those transfers ended up not happening, school or county school board declined any potential transfers after the Fort White LB

Question for you:  is Columbia at capacity?  If not, how does the local school board have the authority/power to deny a transfer in light of the existing state law?

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Question for you:  is Columbia at capacity?  If not, how does the local school board have the authority/power to deny a transfer in light of the existing state law?

I doubt it considering the numbers at Columbia have went down the last few years because of COVID leading to some going to Florida virtual route, is there any resource out there that actually shows what the capacity limit of a school is?

I don't know if it was the school board or the school itself that said no since I'm not sure who is in charge of making that call  but my guess is that they said no but if the kid/parent actually pushed for it they probably could still attend but I don't expect it to happen 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I doubt it considering the numbers at Columbia have went down the last few years because of COVID leading to some going to Florida virtual route, is there any resource out there that actually shows what the capacity limit of a school is?

I don't know if it was the school board or the school itself that said no since I'm not sure who is in charge of making that call  but my guess is that they said no but if the kid/parent actually pushed for it they probably could still attend but I don't expect it to happen 

I guess that's my point:  can either the school or the school board in Columbia County (or any county in the state, for that matter) say "no" to a kid who wants to transfer into another school (assuming capacity is not an issue)?

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

I guess that's my point:  can either the school or the school board in Columbia County (or any county in the state, for that matter) say "no" to a kid who wants to transfer into another school (assuming capacity is not an issue)?

Honestly my guess would be no 

My question is that if they said no and they don't push it than the issue is a mute point, but I do think highly likely if they pushed with that rule then they could force the county to accept the transfer but my guess is when they were told no they likely decided to just stay put

In short, under Florida's "School Choice" Law, district school boards must allow a parent from any school district in the state whose child is not subject to a current expulsion or suspension to enroll his/her child in any public school that has not reached capacity (otherwise known as "controlled open enrollment").  Each school district is also supposed to provide its capacity determinations on its school district website.  So, if you were to navigate through various school districts websites, you would see schools who are regularly discussed on these forums as receiving transfers, which are identified on their websites as "closed" or "at capacity", yet are still receiving transfers.  Obviously, if a transfer establishes bona-fide residency within that school's boundaries, then it is legitimate.  To answer the specific question above, I was not able to find the current capacity status of Columbia High School on the Columbia County School District website, but it would seem they would be violating state law in turning away a transfer if there is capacity at that school.