Lake City Columbia 2022 Season Preview (more to come in August)

DisabledAccount

9 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

In short, under Florida's "School Choice" Law, district school boards must allow a parent from any school district in the state whose child is not subject to a current expulsion or suspension to enroll his/her child in any public school that has not reached capacity (otherwise known as "controlled open enrollment").  Each school district is also supposed to provide its capacity determinations on its school district website.  So, if you were to navigate through various school districts websites, you would see schools who are regularly discussed on these forums as receiving transfers, which are identified on their websites as "closed" or "at capacity", yet are still receiving transfers.  Obviously, if a transfer establishes bona-fide residency within that school's boundaries, then it is legitimate.  To answer the specific question above, I was not able to find the current capacity status of Columbia High School on the Columbia County School District website, but it would seem they would be violating state law in turning away a transfer if there is capacity at that school.     

Are there any counties that require a bonafide move to be eligible in spite of the state law?

Florida Statute 1002.31 that pertains to public school parental choice and controlled open enrollment is filled with legal mumbo-jumbo, so it is not as clearcut as one would wish.  While I am not a lawyer, I see nothing that a district school board can impose (such as a bonadide move into a county) to restrict enrollment if there is capacity.  However, the school board must provide preferential treatment to students residing in the school district, which I presume would factor in if the school was at or near capacity.  The problem is that I cannot determine the capacity starus (below, at, or above) of Columbia High on the CCSD website, despite considerable searching around. 

40 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Florida Statute 1002.31 that pertains to public school parental choice and controlled open enrollment is filled with legal mumbo-jumbo, so it is not as clearcut as one would wish.  While I am not a lawyer, I see nothing that a district school board can impose (such as a bonadide move into a county) to restrict enrollment if there is capacity.  However, the school board must provide preferential treatment to students residing in the school district, which I presume would factor in if the school was at or near capacity.  The problem is that I cannot determine the capacity starus (below, at, or above) of Columbia High on the CCSD website, despite considerable searching around. 

If Columbia is at or near capacity that is news to me but I appreciate your research into it

14 hours ago, Dr. D said:

To answer the specific question above, I was not able to find the current capacity status of Columbia High School on the Columbia County School District website, but it would seem they would be violating state law in turning away a transfer if there is capacity at that school.     

I think there may be an exception when the kid wanting to transfer in plays the same position as the son of one of the school board members.   B)

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Ouch... 31-24, didn't see that coming. Hope ColumbiaFan is ok.
Lost 4 straight going back to last season.
Now they have Deland coming to town.
4-5 looking like a strong possibility right now.

Oh yeah he never coming back.  He cussing everyone out. 

29 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Ouch... 31-24, didn't see that coming. Hope ColumbiaFan is ok.
Lost 4 straight going back to last season.
Now they have Deland coming to town.
4-5 looking like a strong possibility right now.

Was going to say the same. Union County is solid for a 1R but they shouldn’t be beating nor even competing with Columbia. 

Deland isn’t great but they’re going to be a tough out. I see 5-4 or 4-5 as most likely scenarios 

18 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Hey Columbiahighfan, 

The Celtics will be going up to Gainesville this Friday to play the Gainesville Hurricanes. What in the world has happened to them? I thought that we may have a real struggle on our hands but am not that sure the Hurricanes are up to it. Any ideas? :unsure:

ColumbiaHighFan is currently in mourning over the sudden passing of his beloved Columbia High School football program and is not available to answer questions.    The cause of death of his beloved program is not yet known.  Until the investigation has been completed, ColumbiaHighFan's family asks that all board members respect his privacy as he deals with this devastating and unexpected loss. 

B)

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

ColumbiaHighFan is currently in mourning over the sudden passing of his beloved Columbia High School football program and is not available to answer questions.    The cause of death of his beloved program is not yet known.  Until the investigation has been completed, ColumbiaHighFan's family asks that all board members respect his privacy as he deals with this devastating and unexpected loss. 

B)

man yall tuff on this boy.  at least he luv his team.  how bout donations to lake city makeawish foundation?

On 9/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, Proseteye said:

Hey Columbiahighfan, 

The Celtics will be going up to Gainesville this Friday to play the Gainesville Hurricanes. What in the world has happened to them? I thought that we may have a real struggle on our hands but am not that sure the Hurricanes are up to it. Any ideas? :unsure:

They lost most their top players to other schools especially Buchholz and Bradford I believe picked up a few as did Williston

Trinity Catholic will have no problem with Gainesville

15 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I am sure he is celebrating today as a CHS alum was the one who blocked the extra point at the end of the FSU- LSU game.

Gotta hit rock bottom to make the biggest comeback

I'm gonna ride it out to the end and enjoy the season because win lose or draw it may be my last round and I will enjoy proving people wrong one more time on the way out the door 

And I been telling FSU people for the last 2 years shyheim was a steal and I was told "a 3* kid will never win us no games"

@peezy28 knows which people I'm referring to and if they read this site I want to invite those people to gladly suck it