Marquee “Kickoff Classic” matchups…

THIS_IS_DILLARD

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Thankfully our KOC with you guys is not a bad drive but will keep an eye on the weather prior to making the trip. 

Hopefully this game is played in good weather. I think it should be an entertaining, competitive matchup. It's funny to think that there will be no chance for a rematch in the playoffs. 

Good luck to the Kowboys in their quest for a deep run. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Hopefully this game is played in good weather. I think it should be an entertaining, competitive matchup. It's funny to think that there will be no chance for a rematch in the playoffs. 

Good luck to the Kowboys in their quest for a deep run. 

Thanks, same to the Darters.  It should be a good game with 2 strong defenses facing a potent ground attack.  Over the last couple of decades, you would have thought we would see each other in the playoffs more, but that hasn't materialized for teams that usually have success beyond the opening round. 

6 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Thanks, same to the Darters.  It should be a good game with 2 strong defenses facing a potent ground attack.  Over the last couple of decades, you would have thought we would see each other in the playoffs more, but that hasn't materialized for teams that usually have success beyond the opening round. 

Very true, especially since Osceola moved up to the highest class in the last 8 years. Luck of the draw I guess. But now it's an impossibility.

26 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Very true, especially since Osceola moved up to the highest class in the last 8 years. Luck of the draw I guess. But now it's an impossibility.

26 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Hopefully going forward, since both HC's know each other we can at least schedule some regular season games.  I know we would like to continue playing the better teams in the Orlando Metro as we have in past years now that the FHSAA has changed the format.  Our school didn't advocate for this change, though we felt something needed to be done.  Our philosophy has been we will compete in whatever format is decided, knowing our rosters change but not the expectations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 2:15 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

This game is at Camping World Stadium (the old Citrus Bowl). 65,000 capacity. Hopefully, the Bulls travel well for the game. Camping World is just up the road from Jones High, so I am sure their faithful will turn out in droves, as they are still smarting from the State Title game defeat in 2019.

Da West Always travel well for big games. When we pull up to that field Jones better be ready to play cause we coming full force.

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Venice vs the west the rematch , should b lit I passed by MNW last night on my way to my entanglement crib lol. 

Can’t wait, it’s going to be a much better game this time around. I think Venice will be a little too much for Northwestern out of the gate, though. Good luck against Rock Creek week 1. I hope you guys prove to the world that Dillard is for real and a serious danger in 3A Metro

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Can’t wait, it’s going to be a much better game this time around. I think Venice will be a little too much for Northwestern out of the gate, though. Good luck against Rock Creek week 1. I hope you guys prove to the world that Dillard is for real and a serious danger in 3A Metro

This will be our first OOS state game since 2013 so I’m hyped plus we’re part of the national showcase against a team that has supposedly got a lot of transfers in this off season to so I’m lit 

3 hours ago, FBGUY1989 said:

So are the Bulls traveling for the game. I heard 14,000 tickets were sold already

I would have to see that to believe it, a lot of the state championship games didn’t even half of the amount. & this is a KOC not even a game that counts unfortunately. A loss means nothing either way for either team. 

On 8/4/2022 at 7:04 PM, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I would have to see that to believe it, a lot of the state championship games didn’t even half of the amount. & this is a KOC not even a game that counts unfortunately. A loss means nothing either way for either team. 

Well according to our local paper the Sentinel, nothing could be further from the truth if this game means nothing for either team.    It may mean nothing to you or some other programs but seems like both sides have been clamoring for a rematch since that state championship game in 2019 which drew and overflow crowd that exceeded the 10,000 capacity of Daytona Stadium.  Supposedly MNW has chartered at least a dozen buses and the locals want the CFL vs SFL competition.  It may not be in the record books as a regular season game, but both sides are playing to win.   Which is why they chose Camping World stadium to showcase the game.  We also have a couple other great matchups between Edgewater vs Sanford Seminole as well as Osceola vs Apopka.  No running clocks for these competitive games although kick-offs may be restricted.  Apopka is very similar to us in that they like to pound the rock and play outstanding defense, so it will come down to blocking and tackling efficiency by both squads.  Outstanding KOC's to open the HS football season. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Well according to our local paper the Sentinel, nothing could be further from the truth if this game means nothing for either team.    It may mean nothing to you or some other programs but seems like both sides have been clamoring for a rematch since that state championship game in 2019 which drew and overflow crowd that exceeded the 10,000 capacity of Daytona Stadium.  Supposedly MNW has chartered at least a dozen buses and the locals want the CFL vs SFL competition.  It may not be in the record books as a regular season game, but both sides are playing to win.   Which is why they chose Camping World stadium to showcase the game.  We also have a couple other great matchups between Edgewater vs Sanford Seminole as well as Osceola vs Apopka.  No running clocks for these competitive games although kick-offs may be restricted.  Apopka is very similar to us in that they like to pound the rock and play outstanding defense, so it will come down to blocking and tackling efficiency by both squads.  Outstanding KOC's to open the HS football season. 

I appreciate the break down. I’m always looking for a opportunity to be further educated. I had no idea they played in 2019 for the championship or that it drew those kind of #s. I know the bulls travel well, I just didn’t know if they traveled big for a KOC game. I know Dillard does but I couldn’t speak for another program. 

I’ll have my eyes on all the games you mentioned & their results. 

9 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I appreciate the break down. I’m always looking for a opportunity to be further educated. I had no idea they played in 2019 for the championship or that it drew those kind of #s. I know the bulls travel well, I just didn’t know if they traveled big for a KOC game. I know Dillard does but I couldn’t speak for another program. 

Northwestern travels very well when it's a game they believe is a big time game. If I'm not mistaken 5,000 people went to Texas when they played Southlake Carroll 

11 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

From the news reporting, the Bulls are bringing the band, cheerleaders, the works and they are even referring to the game as a spinoff of your "Soul Bowl's" as both schools have a long standing history of competition prior to end of segregation as historically black HS's.   How big a crowd will be hard to predict, but expectations are it will be big as the KOC designation has no bearing on the interest in this game. 

14 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

From the news reporting, the Bulls are bringing the band, cheerleaders, the works and they are even referring to the game as a spinoff of your "Soul Bowl's" as both schools have a long standing history of competition prior to end of segregation as historically black HS's.   How big a crowd will be hard to predict, but expectations are it will be big as the KOC designation has no bearing on the interest in this game. 

It may be a KOC but as far as the national rankings go. It will have some great implications. 

18 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I didn’t even know the bulls and the tigers have had those many matchups vs one another. Should be a great game. 

Kind of reminds me of the matchup we’re gonna have with Lincoln in week 9 in tally. It’s the talk of Tallahassee & their fan base have been doing a lot of trash talk. 

being that it’s gonna be famu weekend and half of Dillard alum is already in Tallahassee & our band is already gonna be up there, it’s gonna be a packed house on Dillard side. And even tho I support Bethune, ima stay the weekend & take in the rattlers homecoming festivities since even the ones that didn’t attend famu tends to go every year, let’s see what the hype is about & of course GO PANTHERS!

3 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

It may be a KOC but as far as the national rankings go. It will have some great implications. 

That, but especially state rankings as MNW has achieved that elite program status over numerous years but Jones should not be overlooked as the last couple years they were good enough to reach the state championship round if not for being tripped up just prior to that goal.  Coach Elijah Williams has an extremely talented team anchored by one of the top LB's in the nation (Malik Bryant).

2 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I didn’t even know the bulls and the tigers have had those many matchups vs one another. Should be a great game. 

Kind of reminds me of the matchup we’re gonna have with Lincoln in week 9 in tally. It’s the talk of Tallahassee & their fan base have been doing a lot of trash talk. 

being that it’s gonna be famu weekend and half of Dillard alum is already in Tallahassee & our band is already gonna be up there, it’s gonna be a packed house on Dillard side. And even tho I support Bethune, ima stay the weekend & take in the rattlers homecoming festivities since even the ones that didn’t attend famu tends to go every year, let’s see what the hype is about & of course GO PANTHERS!

From your reporting, Dillard travels very well and I envy that as our school with historically very good teams does not.  For whatever reason, our community support is nowhere near where it should be for the teams we field.  So I am here trying to give them a voice hoping to improve that situation every chance I get.  

4 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

From your reporting, Dillard travels very well and I envy that as our school with historically very good teams does not.  For whatever reason, our community support is nowhere near where it should be for the teams we field.  So I am here trying to give them a voice hoping to improve that situation every chance I get.  

I thought the kowboys had a very huge fan base. ? So what are the #s during home games ? Or when you guys won the championship not to long ago 

Not going to be the same. Jones and Northwestern are both historically black high schools and for Jones that's the only school in Orlando. Evans is black but didn't get there until the mid 90's and Oak Ridge is half black and Hispanic. You have a lot of black neighborhoods but not schools so those kid's were sent to white schools to help integrate them. Edgewater, Apopka and Dr. Phillips to name a few. So for Jones this is they Soul Bowl or Classic type game you even have people from other schools coming out for this game. I wouldn't be surprised if tailgating isn't involved or a parade 

16 minutes ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Not going to be the same. Jones and Northwestern are both historically black high schools and for Jones that's the only school in Orlando. Evans is black but didn't get there until the mid 90's and Oak Ridge is half black and Hispanic. You have a lot of black neighborhoods but not schools so those kid's were sent to white schools to help integrate them. Edgewater, Apopka and Dr. Phillips to name a few. So for Jones this is they Soul Bowl or Classic type game you even have people from other schools coming out for this game. I wouldn't be surprised if tailgating isn't involved or a parade 

You do know LINCOLN is a historical black school to right ? With rich Football tradition, add that with a school coming up from power south Florida school coming to them, they’re gonna have the whole tally at gen cox.

add this being famu weekend you can beat believe Dillard fina pack that stadium tf out lol.

not taking anything away from bih matchup next week with MNW and Jones.

I thought the kowboys had a very huge fan base. ? So what are the #s during home games ? Or when you guys won the championship not to long ago 

Most home games our crowd is several hundred and very seldom exceeds a thousand.  State championship vs STA (2014) and Flanagan (2015) played in Orlando were maybe 3-4 thousand.   State championship vs Sanford Seminole (2020) played in Tallahasee was much less.  It is sad to look back at some of our crowds in the mid 70's when our in county rival St. Cloud fielded a strong team we would have crowds of upwards of 7-8 thousand at the old Silver Spurs Arena as it was a considered a neutral site midway between our 2 towns.   Neither of our on campus football fields could handle the crowd.  Today we have 20 times the population and have nowhere near the support.  Our state championship in 1998 played in the Swamp was probably around 5000.  As I have pointed out in previous posts, it has alot to do with the demographics as we have the 2nd largest Puerto Rican population in the US trailing only New York City and they unfortunately are not huge football fans.  

34 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

You do know LINCOLN is a historical black school to right ? With rich Football tradition, add that with a school coming up from power south Florida school coming to them, they’re gonna have the whole tally at gen cox.

add this being famu weekend you can beat believe Dillard fina pack that stadium tf out lol.

not taking anything away from bih matchup next week with MNW and Jones.

No they won't

Unless Lincoln fanbase has really improved since last time Columbia played them you all probably will have more fans there than Lincoln does