PB County Preseason Top 10

BrowardHandicapper

Courtesy of Prepbuilders.com and Naji Tobias:

Pretty good read and PB County Preseason top 10:

http://prepbuilders.com/preseason-no-1/

By Naji Tobias

Let the madness begin.

To be blunt, there are legitimate questions about every single top-tier team in Palm Beach County. We honestly don’t see any team as a great overall unit – at least not right now, anyway.

With that said, it all came down to a couple of things: schedule strength and a team’s potential path to their respective state championship game later this fall.

We know there will be plenty of outrage in regards to our Preseason Top 10. But when we have absolutely no great teams in our area, these things are bound to happen.

Let’s get this out of the way. Kickoff classic games shouldn’t matter, but in our eyes, everything counts.

Only two of our top six teams won their kickoff classic games, with Atlantic and Oxbridge Academy taking down their respective opponents last week (Atlantic over Mater Academy, 19-15; Oxbridge over Osceola, 49-0). And the others either lost or tied their respective games.

Aside from that, schedule strength matters to us in a big way. For example, when you look at the fact that Oxbridge Academy will play the likes of Flanagan, Carol City, and IMG Academy in the regular season – three of the top overall teams in Florida – it speaks volumes to the level of competition a team is willing to match up against.

Without delving any further into everyone else’s schedule and potential, let’s get to the list right now.

PRESEASON TOP 10

1. Oxbridge Academy (3A; 0-0)
2. Delray Beach Atlantic (8A; 0-0)
3. Dwyer (7A; 0-0)
4. Delray Beach American Heritage (3A; 0-0)
5. Glades Central (4A; 0-0)
6. Palm Beach Gardens (8A; 0-0)
7. Boca Raton (8A; 0-0)
8. Pahokee (1A; 0-0)
9. Palm Beach Lakes (7A; 0-0)
10. Lake Worth (8A; 0-0)

WAITING IN THE WINGS: Boynton Beach (6A; 0-0), Palm Beach Central (8A, 0-0), Park Vista (8A; 0-0), Royal Palm Beach (7A; 0-0), Seminole Ridge (8A; 0-0), Village Academy (2A; 0-0), Wellington (8A; 0-0), West Boca Raton (7A; 0-0)

NOTE: We are expecting fluid changes to our Top 10 every week this season. Don’t be surprised if several new teams appear in and out of the Top 10 early and often.

I really don't feel that Oxbridge should be number 1. But that's just my opinion

And Atlantic at number 2 could be a reach I haven't seen any film on them yet but with all the players that graduated and people that transferred out they can't still be 2016 type caliber

I hear ya but he at least explains why he has Oxbridge at number 1.  Basically no one has shown anything impressive this pre-season and rankings are slightly reflecting schedule strength.  Factor that with even with the transfers out .....Oxbridge still has one of, if not the most talented roster in PB County.  There really is no one established as of yet and the author is basically saying that this could shuffle quickly. 

What do you have for your pre-season PB County top 10 gator boy?

Oxbridge 3A at Flanagan 8A on Friday night should show the effects of the offseason shakeup.

I would not pencil that one in as a W for 8A Flanagan.  If Oxbridge Academy scores it will be a first - The first time a PB County team has ever scored on Flanagan.  IMO the pressure is on Flanagan to defend their Home as defending 8A State Champions. 

So I take it you think Flanagan is going to tune up Oxbridge Academy @ mbhs69?

Frankly, I just don't know, so not gonna call it.

Before the coach left, what they had was pretty much known.   But with the coach and a number of good players gone, and then a few new faces onboard, there's just gotta be some unforeseen "effect" .... could be little, some, or a big effect .... either positive or negative.   Play calling, game strategy, ability to adjust, plus team-coach chemistry and shared focus will likely be a bit different.   But probably mostly around the edges since Oxbridge core seems pretty much intact.   QB is a question mark, as is depth, and the tactics/strategies by the new coach,.  But I expect them to remain quite competitive against quality teams despite the shakeup.

Agree that Flanagan shoulders more pressure as defending champs, plus before a home crowd with big expectations.   I'm more a PB county fan so I can't speak to Flanagan potential otherwise.  What can ya tell about them?

Both teams need to shake out the rust in game 1, but I believe the mutual skill and competitiveness on the field by both teams will show strengths and weaknesses of both, both in player talent and in the systems they run.   Friday will give us a view of the character and personalities of both teams.   Hoping to see this one.

Overall, I think Dwyer has the biggest bucket of skilled talent in PBC, plus the coaching, so I'd put them at the top o the heap in PBC going into the season opener.   Also suspect Palm Beach lakes may surprise some teams and expect them to be fun to watch, they still have a ways to go.  Again, we'll see. 

Before the coach left, what they had was pretty much known.   But with the coach and a number of good players gone, and then a few new faces onboard, there's just gotta be some unforeseen "effect" .... could be little, some, or a big effect .... either positive or negative.   Play calling, game strategy, ability to adjust, plus team-coach chemistry and shared focus will likely be a bit different.   But probably mostly around the edges since Oxbridge core seems pretty much intact.   QB is a question mark, as is depth, and the tactics/strategies by the new coach,.  But I expect them to remain quite competitive against quality teams despite the shakeup.

Play calling on offense is almost entirely the same I believe. Play-Caller from last season is now fully the OC. Defense should pretty much be the same, maybe some adjustments are being made based on who they now have. 

Game strategy changed very little, if any at all. 

Team-Coach Chemistry no change there really since they just promoted an assistant. 

QB, as far as I know, is Richardson which yeah I can say that technically is a question mark since he is young and is facing Flanagan and Carol City to start the year off with West Orange, AHD and IMG tossed in as well as the season progresses. 

Depth isn't that much of an issue I don't think. Overall, at least. 

sflacoach -  good call.  Yes, I forgot that Oxbridge new HC hired from within .... making that transition more seamless.

Any thoughts how Leonard's absence will affect them in district games,  and if they go deeper in the playoffs?   That's why I mentioned depth, at least on defense.

Frankly, I just don't know, so not gonna call it.

Agree that Flanagan shoulders more pressure as defending champs, plus before a home crowd with big expectations.   I'm more a PB county fan so I can't speak to Flanagan potential otherwise.  What can ya tell about them?

Both teams need to shake out the rust in game 1, but I believe the mutual skill and competitiveness on the field by both teams will show strengths and weaknesses of both, both in player talent and in the systems they run.   Friday will give us a view of the character and personalities of both teams.   Hoping to see this one.

Overall, I think Dwyer has the biggest bucket of skilled talent in PBC, plus the coaching, so I'd put them at the top o the heap in PBC going into the season opener.   Also suspect Palm Beach lakes may surprise some teams and expect them to be fun to watch, they still have a ways to go.  Again, we'll see. 

Flanagan has been laying very low since December.  They may have had a in-house game (green versus white or something) in the spring but that is about it.  I do not recall hearing much (or anything) about Flanagan other then they lost 20 combines starters and 30 + Seniors. A few of their star players did some of the private 7v7 regional and national stuff but did not really hear anything about a  fall scrimmage.  That said, it is possible that they will be getting the rust and jitters out versus Oxbridge Academy.  From what I gather with Flanagan they do not have a starting QB listed as of yet but have 3 players that can probably get the job done at helm. Defense is not as not nearly as talented as last year but you can be sure that Coach Samuels will have his kids ready as they can be for late August in that area.  I think this is a very interesting match and will end up being a pretty competitive game.

Agree, Dwyer could very well be the most skilled team on paper but I went through an updated list of all teams on paper and Dwyer/Oxbridge were a ahead of anyone else.  PB Lakes should be strong offensively but do they have the defense to show up in the playoffs?   

Flanagan has been laying very low since December. They may have had a in-house game (green versus white or something) in the spring but that is about it. I do not recall hearing much (or anything) about Flanagan other then they lost 20 combines starters and 30 + Seniors. A few of their star players did some of the private 7v7 regional and national stuff but did not really hear anything about a fall scrimmage. That said, it is possible that they will be getting the rust and jitters out versus Oxbridge Academy. From what I gather with Flanagan they do not have a starting QB listed as of yet but have 3 players that can probably get the job done at helm. Defense is not as not nearly as talented as last year but you can be sure that Coach Samuels will have his kids ready as they can be for late August in that area. I think this is a very interesting match and will end up being a pretty competitive game.

Agree, Dwyer could very well be the most skilled team on paper but I went through an updated list of all teams on paper and Dwyer/Oxbridge were a ahead of anyone else. PB Lakes should be strong offensively but do they have the defense to show up in the playoffs?

I expect that PB Lakes will have a shootout with Vero next month

sflacoach -  good call.  Yes, I forgot that Oxbridge new HC hired from within .... making that transition more seamless.

Any thoughts how Leonard's absence will affect them in district games,  and if they go deeper in the playoffs?   That's why I mentioned depth, at least on defense.

I think the Oxbridge hire from within was wise and chances are they have a smart, young and hungry coach that wants to prove himself which may lead to him keeping his job at Oxbridge for the future.  I would guess he will have these kids very conditioned (with the help of Oxbridge's state of the art equipment) and want't to turn some heads for the doubters.  The thing is it almost seems like people and the media are setting Oxbridge up for a no-win scenario.

1. They beat Flanagan and everyone's thought process will be - Wow! Flanagan really lost a lot from last year.

2.  They lose to Flanagan - See..I told ya so.  Oxbridge lost everything....

Meanwhile both may be inaccurate.  

I think the Oxbridge hire from within was wise and chances are they have a smart, young and hungry coach that wants to prove himself which may lead to him keeping his job at Oxbridge for the future. I would guess he will have these kids very conditioned (with the help of Oxbridge's state of the art equipment) and want't to turn some heads for the doubters. The thing is it almost seems like people and the media are setting Oxbridge up for a no-win scenario.

1. They beat Flanagan and everyone's thought process will be - Wow! Flanagan really lost a lot from last year.

2. They lose to Flanagan - See..I told ya so. Oxbridge lost everything....

Meanwhile both may be inaccurate.

Does Dwyer have any shot at STA?

So I did a quick breakdown/comparison based of Dwyer and Oxbridge Academy star power.  The main difference that I saw when researching was that Oxbridge's top players were not only higher rated with "*" rating but if you look at the major colleges recruiting, they are much strong power colleges (more SEC, Big 10, Pac-10, Big 12, ACC).  Seems to be a big jump in offers once you hit that "3*" rating. I used the highest rating for each player from Scout and 247 Sports.   Both teams appear to have about 10-12 players with D1 offers (unofficially). Please let me know if I am missing any star players on either team.

Top 7 Power Players Dwyer:

2017 OLB Raven Saunders 6'1, 205 NC STate, Kentucky , UNC, PItt

2017 QB Todd Centeio 6'0, 205 3* Temple, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami

2017  DB Cedric Dort 6'1, 170 3* Kentucky, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Purdue

2017 OLB Jamal Gates 6'2", 220 3* USF, Syracuse, FAU, App State

2017 RB Jakairi Moses 5'10", 184 2* WKU, Marshall, NIL, FAU

2017 WR Levon Barnett 6'0",170 2* Marshall, Akron

2017 WR Jordan Mosely 5'11", 175 2* Florida A&M

Top 7 Power Players Oxbridge Academy:

2017 DB Traivon Leonard 6'1",180  3* Miami, MIchigan State, Tennessee, Wisconsin, LSU Notre Dame, Auburn

2018 S  CJ Smith 6'3", 190   4*  Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan

2017 DB Darnell Robinson 5'10", 175  3* Southern Miss, Miami (OH), FAU, App State

2018 OLB/TE Herman McCray 6'4" 230 3* Louisville, Iowa State, FAU

2018 ATH Keidron Smith 6'2", 180 3* Iowa State, Tennessee, Louisville, FAU

2017 DT Tyler Williams 6'1", 290 3* Louisville, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Southern Miss

2017 OL Robert Holmes 6'5", 340 3* Miami, Auburn, Temple, Michigan State, FSU