FL vs GA challenge thoughts

DisabledAccount

Before I share my thoughts from this event here's some photos I took from the sideline up in Valdosta yesterday

Thoughts:

Overall it was a very good setup and the stadium atmosphere made the game a blast to attend 

DFB is as bad as advertised and will struggle to win games this year and has no business playing OOS in the foreseeable future

Colquitt and Lowndes are not as good as their past teams that won titles in GA but both could be better next year 

This may be the year Valdosta gets by Lowndes in the winnersville classic 

AHP is down from some past teams but was by far the best team at the event and we should see where they stand next week as well as games with Cardinal Gibbons and Chaminade but I felt they were a class act as a team and program and I had a chance to talk to few of their staff during the game and one of the lowndes staff during the lightning delay 

I will never again hate on the refs in Florida because even the most flag happy crews on Florida is nothing compared to the flaggrent calls where it felt like holding was getting called like 8 or 9 straight plays on offense for AHP which likely kept it from being more of a blowout

Overall the crowd support during the lowndes game with the Lowndes fans and band is better than any crowd I've ever seen in Florida and their crowd was louder on one yard gains than Columbia was the entire kickoff classic against Suwannee even with fans wrapped around the fences. Florida could learn something from the south GA fanbases

Overall a great event and I was honored to be on the sideline watching those 4 programs play football last night even though I didn't get home until 2am

16 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Before I share my thoughts from this event here's some photos I took from the sideline up in Valdosta yesterday

Thoughts:

Overall it was a very good setup and the stadium atmosphere made the game a blast to attend 

DFB is as bad as advertised and will struggle to win games this year and has no business playing OOS in the foreseeable future

Colquitt and Lowndes are not as good as their past teams that won titles in GA but both could be better next year 

AHP is down from some past teams but was by far the best team at the event and we should see where they stand next week as well as games with Cardinal Gibbons and Chaminade but I felt they were a class act as a team and program and I had a chance to talk to few of their staff during the game and one of the lowndes staff during the lightning delay 

I will never again hate on the refs in Florida because even the most flag happy crews on Florida is nothing compared to the flaggrent calls where it felt like holding was getting called like 8 or 9 straight plays on offense for AHP which likely kept it from being more of a blowout

Overall the crowd support during the lowndes game with the Lowndes fans and band is better than any crowd I've ever seen in Florida and their crowd was louder on one yard gains than Columbia was the entire kickoff classic against Suwannee even with fans wrapped around the fences. Florida could learn something from the south GA fanbases

Overall a great event and I was honored to be on the sideline watching those 4 programs play football last night even though I didn't get home until 2am

Dude the lowndes running back got hurt bc they injured him on purpose.  He was going to get his yards and touchdowns.  By the way madison gonna kill Columbia they building a monster again 2012 level madison 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Thoughts:

I saw that Fleming got hurt after having 7 attempts for 19 yards. But what was the totals rushing yards gained for Lowndes against AHP? Just curious lmao

9 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

I saw that Fleming got hurt after having 7 attempts for 19 yards. But what was the totals rushing yards gained for Lowndes against AHP? Just curious lmao

I honestly didn't know he was at RB but he did get a few snaps at kick returner 

He looked decent but nothing like that Jesse homer made him out to be, fastest guy on the field was Inness

5 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

How was the fam base support for the south Florida teams ? Did they band even travel ? 

DFB had maybe 20 fans 

AHP traveled pretty well for how far they had to go but neither band came for the South Florida teams 

Colquitt and lowndes brought their bands though and they both made up for it 

40 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I honestly didn't know he was at RB but he did get a few snaps at kick returner 

He looked decent but nothing like that Jesse homer made him out to be, fastest guy on the field was Inness

Dude he almost scored 

26 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Can somebody post the final scores?  Do these games count against the W-L record or are they considered preseason games?

AHP vs Lowndes was 38-20 AHP

Colquitt County beat DFB 37-0

And these games both counted because FL played in another state 

11 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

The GA teams seem so much better funded than their FL counterparts.  What's the deal here?

Florida significantly lacks the funding and support of GA which was apparent with what I saw at Lowndes but Florida talent is far better and sometimes talent matters more than money and nice stadiums

I've always said if you gave Florida programs half the support and money that some these south Georgia or Texas teams had Florida would be so far ahead of the rest of the country in every aspect that no state could realistically compete year to year 

34 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Florida significantly lacks the funding and support of GA which was apparent with what I saw at Lowndes but Florida talent is far better and sometimes talent matters more than money and nice stadiums

I've always said if you gave Florida programs half the support and money that some these south Georgia or Texas teams had Florida would be so far ahead of the rest of the country in every aspect that no state could realistically compete year to year 

Where do they get this funding from though?  FL would come up with it if they could but it has to come from somewhere?  I assume Texas oil money is a big player there but what about GA?

7 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Where do they get this funding from though?  FL would come up with it if they could but it has to come from somewhere?  I assume Texas oil money is a big player there but what about GA?

GA gets most of their money from boosters, Florida would just need stronger alumni bases who are willing to invest in the program 

11 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

GA gets most of their money from boosters, Florida would just need stronger alumni bases who are willing to invest in the program 

I think this is a rural vs metro issue.  In Pinellas county, for example, you could grow up here and never leave but move three miles away and youre in another high schools zoning area.  Hard to get alumni and community support when there are so many teams per square mile around here.  Now go to my hometown of Punta Gorda and there is one school in that area, Charlotte HS, and they all grew up there supporting it and rally behind the Tarpons.  I know many third and fourth generation graduates from CHS.   Big difference.

59 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

When has Florida had a stable population that didn't depend on a boom of some kind or another?  Outside of small towns or well established cities that have been around for a long time, a large percentage of the state is fairly new (so to speak).  Hell, the population has tripled since the 70's alone.  That's a major contributing factor in the lack of community support around the state (with a few exceptions).  Florida's migratory pattern is extremely transient in nature.  Even with all the growth, what also has to be factored in is how many people leave the state.  

Just now, Nulli Secundus said:

When has Florida had a stable population that didn't depend on a boom of some kind or another?  Outside of small towns or well established cities that have been around for a long time, a large percentage of the state is fairly new (so to speak).  Hell, the population has tripled since the 70's alone.  That's a major contributing factor in the lack of community support around the state (with a few exceptions).

I agree with that completely as being the main factor

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The coaching in GA is far better, the programs are set up better (think K-12, not 9-12), and the athletes are very similar. Lowndes is not a very good team this year, they may get 4th out 5 in their region. Colquitt vs AHP would’ve been a much better game. 

5 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

The coaching in GA is far better, the programs are set up better (think K-12, not 9-12), and the athletes are very similar. Lowndes is not a very good team this year, they may get 4th out 5 in their region. Colquitt vs AHP would’ve been a much better game. 

Colquitt only looked good because of how bad DFB was 

Colquitt looked much better in 2019