St. Thomas Aquinas @ Fort Myers tonight

Wavebb

Before people start bashing this matchup because this years' Green Wave are very young and have no chance of winning this game, I would like to take a moment to explain how this game came about.  Tonight is Sam Sirianni Night in Fort Myers.  It is a local celebration of our long- time coach, Sam Sr.  He led the Greenies for 33 seasons, including 5 decades, before his passing in '02.  His son Sammy Jr. took over and is still the HC at this time.  Coach Smith and Sam Sr were very close friends for many years.  Coach Smith contacted us numerous times over the summer about coming over to be a part of our night to honor our former coach.  With that said, Sam Jr. finally accepted, knowing full well that this year's team would not be able to give the Raiders much of a game. It's a celebration of our '92 team that lost at STA in the state semi's for the second year in a row.

In an effort not to make this post too long and boring, I just wanted to point out that even in this day and age, once in a while friendships and respect can still mean more than wins and losses at the high school level.  After getting to know Coach Smith and many of the Aquinas fans over the years, I have the utmost respect for the program and those close to it. I have an open invitation to Aquinas games and have seen many of their games from the sideline over the years. I knew of the school when it was Central Catholic High.  Had many friends who attended STA who were nationally ranked tennis players as was I. Jeanne and Chris Evert to name a few. So that should explain how this game came about and if I didn't explain this very well, please just reply and I will try to do better.

48 minutes ago, Wavebb said:

Before people start bashing this matchup because this years' Green Wave are very young and have no chance of winning this game, I would like to take a moment to explain how this game came about.  Tonight is Sam Sirianni Night in Fort Myers.  It is a local celebration of our long- time coach, Sam Sr.  He led the Greenies for 33 seasons, including 5 decades, before his passing in '02.  His son Sammy Jr. took over and is still the HC at this time.  Coach Smith and Sam Sr were very close friends for many years.  Coach Smith contacted us numerous times over the summer about coming over to be a part of our night to honor our former coach.  With that said, Sam Jr. finally accepted, knowing full well that this year's team would not be able to give the Raiders much of a game. It's a celebration of our '92 team that lost at STA in the state semi's for the second year in a row.

In an effort not to make this post too long and boring, I just wanted to point out that even in this day and age, once in a while friendships and respect can still mean more than wins and losses at the high school level.  After getting to know Coach Smith and many of the Aquinas fans over the years, I have the utmost respect for the program and those close to it. I have an open invitation to Aquinas games and have seen many of their games from the sideline over the years. I knew of the school when it was Central Catholic High.  Had many friends who attended STA who were nationally ranked tennis players as was I. Jeanne and Chris Evert to name a few. So that should explain how this game came about and if I didn't explain this very well, please just reply and I will try to do better.

Excellent. George & Sam had a great relationship. The Green Wave made numerous trips to Ft Laud, in the playoffs. Don’t think Aquinas ever played them in Ft Myers. Nice story. 

Actually the Raiders played at FM two times.  The first was many years ago when both teams finished the regular season 9-1 but missed the playoffs.  Aquinas won a close game and their only complaint was the cold McDonalds hamburgers that we provided them after the game.  The next time we played was the "91 state semi game which was scoreless late in the 3rd quarter when STA scorched us for 17 points.  Our best effort was in "02 when we were tied at 7 after the first half but got worn down and lost 21-7

8 hours ago, Wavebb said:

Wave, someone on the national board asked the same question why STA was playing at Fort Meyers instead of a current powerhouse. Not surprisingly an old nemesis, of many an unprepared fan, 'CANES, with a new handle/name, explained it much like you have. Good story, good history, and a few really good men. Hope the weather if accommodating.  

34 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Wave, someone on the national board asked the same question why STA was playing at Fort Meyers instead of a current powerhouse. Not surprisingly an old nemesis, of many an unprepared fan, 'CANES, with a new handle/name, explained it much like you have. Good story, good history, and a few really good men. Hope the weather if accommodating.  

When Los is one of the most competent posters on that board is shows how far it's fallen but that's what the Prep Gridiron board is now 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

When Los is one of the most competent posters on that board is shows how far it's fallen but that's what the Prep Gridiron board is now 

'Bo, if you're anything, it's you are consistent. You go after that rascal 'Canes whenever the opportunity arises. He's not the most lovable character out there, but in a strange way his "me against the world" disposition is somewhat endearing if not pity inspired. Surely he'd jump my a$$ reading that, LOL    

On 9/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, Dan in Daytona said:

'Bo, if you're anything, it's you are consistent. You go after that rascal 'Canes whenever the opportunity arises. He's not the most lovable character out there, but in a strange way his "me against the world" disposition is somewhat endearing if not pity inspired. Surely he'd jump my a$$ reading that, LOL    

I see consistency as one of my most lovable traits lol