WOW! Mariner to play 3 games in just one week.

The Heartland Archives

WOW! I was looking at MaxPreps and ScoreStream earlier, and it appears Cape Coral Mariner is about to play 3 games in the span of just one week. They beat DeSoto 10-7 this past Friday, they beat East Lee County 17-7 yesterday (Monday), and they will play Ida Baker this upcoming Friday. It appears the East Lee County game may originally have been an earlier game and was postponed to yesterday due to weather. I would like to get people's thoughts on this. What are your thoughts on this regarding the health, safety, and well-being of high school students? It's one thing to do it at the professional or college level, but it's another thing to do it at high school level. Also, do you think the start of the high school football regular season in Florida should be pushed backed to prevent situations like this? A lot of high school football games in Florida are usually postponed or canceled in the first couple of weeks of the season due to weather.

• https://www.maxpreps.com/fl/cape-coral/mariner-tritons/football/schedule/

FHSAA Administrative Policy 6.1.3.1.1:  [. . . ]  A student-athlete can participate in only one (1) football contest during the same school week; Monday through Saturday (exclusive of the Florida High School State Championship Series).

There is an exception designed to allow JV players the opportunity the play in multiple games in the same week, but they have to be on an approved list and they can only play 6 quarters.   Perhaps that, and not the weather, is the real reason the Monday game ended after only one half. 

FHSAA rules aside, in my opinion, three games in eight days is too much, especially when the games being played are not district games or playoff games.  Bodies need rest -- even young ones. 

8 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

You would be more physically beat up after playing STA, MC, Chaminade etc etc once than those teams on Monday, Wednesday and Friday 

Nolebull, I hereby nominate you to redraft the FHSAA rules to somehow take into account quality of competition.  I'm particularly interested to see if you'll somehow reference ColumbiaHighFan's ranking system to determine whether one team can or cannot play multiple games in a week.   :D

4 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Nolebull, I hereby nominate you to redraft the FHSAA rules to somehow take into account quality of competition.  I'm particularly interested to see if you'll somehow reference ColumbiaHighFan's ranking system to determine whether one team can or cannot play multiple games in a week.   :D

Rule 1.1

”You shall only play one game per 7 day week if the said opponent is in the Nolebull813 Top 25”

Rule 1.2

”You shall play 2 games per 7 day week if they are in the newly formed honorable mention section of said top 25”

Rule 1.3

”You shall play up to 7 games in a 7 day week as long as the opponent is from Columbia County. Excluding Fort White High” 

On 9/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, The Heartland Archives said:

Also, do you think the start of the high school football regular season in Florida should be pushed backed to prevent situations like this? A lot of high school football games in Florida are usually postponed or canceled in the first couple of weeks of the season due to weather.

This question arises roughly this time every season, but realistically I don't think this ever happens. There's already bleed over from football into soccer/basketball season and I think soccer/basketball bleeds into the start of baseball/track season.