Osceola at Lakeland preview

skyway

Lakeland wins 25-22. Osceola battled, and appeared more battle tested in general. Lakeland probably should have won by more, but fumbled two kickoffs and gave up a couple of improbable big plays to Jakeem Jackson. Three of Lakeland's best DBs never saw the field. Maybe the basketball player that recently came out beat them all out. Seems unlikely though.

While I think a full Lakeland wins more decisively in a rematch, I have to give credit to the Kowboys for battling. And I'm quite disappointed to see Lakeland squander such WR talent. Pleuss looked rather horrible. Perhaps Castle's scheme has messed him up. Perhaps Osceola was in his head due to some things shared on this board. Perhaps he's just not that good. I think Castle's approach to offense is generally bad for modern passing QBs. 

I hope the experience makes Lakeland better. But, tonight, it seemed Osceola had the "clutch" quotient. Lakeland is fortunate to escape with a win. 

9 minutes ago, skyway said:

Lakeland wins 25-22. Osceola battled, and appeared more battle tested in general. Lakeland probably should have won by more, but fumbled two kickoffs and gave up a couple of improbable big plays to Jakeem Jackson. Three of Lakeland's best DBs never saw the field. Maybe the basketball player that recently came out beat them all out. Seems unlikely though.

While I think a full Lakeland wins more decisively in a rematch, I have to give credit to the Kowboys for battling. And I'm quite disappointed to see Lakeland squander such WR talent. Pleuss looked rather horrible. Perhaps Castle's scheme has messed him up. Perhaps Osceola was in his head due to some things shared on this board. Perhaps he's just not that good. I think Castle's approach to offense is generally bad for modern passing QBs. 

I hope the experience makes Lakeland better. But, tonight, it seemed Osceola had the "clutch" quotient. Lakeland is fortunate to escape with a win. 

Bo Mascoe, little 5'10" DB covered Williams (5*) like a blanket all night.  Both team had turnovers, mistakes, penalties, etc  so to me the excuses you are making were a wash.  The biggest difference thru the game was Lakeland's ability to have more success running the ball than us, so props to their OL performance against our DL.  The fumbles on the kickoffs you refer to were pooch kicks I saw us working on all week in practice to your up men and we executed them twice to perfection "FORCING"" both fumbles.  We dropped probably a half dozen passes that should have been caught and could have moved the chains ourselves that were self inflicted wounds.  The lick John Walker put on your QB early in the second half, which was called roughing the passer negated his effectiveness the entire second half.   Paint it as you may, but where I sat in the bleachers, bad decisions in the first quarter gave you 2 short fields (40 and 25 yards out) that you capitalized into 13-0 lead early in the 1st quarter.  I guess they expected us to fold, but that never materialized.  Injured players is a pitiful excuse with all the depth you were supposed to have.  We also had several keep contributors out and lost a couple more during the game.  That's football.  We look forward to a rematch. 

23 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Bo Mascoe, little 5'10" DB covered Williams (5*) like a blanket all night.  Both team had turnovers, mistakes, penalties, etc  so to me the excuses you are making were a wash.  The biggest difference thru the game was Lakeland's ability to have more success running the ball than us, so props to their OL performance against our DL.  The fumbles on the kickoffs you refer to were pooch kicks I saw us working on all week in practice to your up men and we executed them twice to perfection "FORCING"" both fumbles.  We dropped probably a half dozen passes that should have been caught and could have moved the chains ourselves that were self inflicted wounds.  The lick John Walker put on your QB early in the second half, which was called roughing the passer negated his effectiveness the entire second half.   Paint it as you may, but where I sat in the bleachers, bad decisions in the first quarter gave you 2 short fields (40 and 25 yards out) that you capitalized into 13-0 lead early in the 1st quarter.  I guess they expected us to fold, but that never materialized.  Injured players is a pitiful excuse with all the depth you were supposed to have.  We also had several keep contributors out and lost a couple more during the game.  That's football.  We look forward to a rematch. 

My biggest takeaway which I failed to mention is we had been rotating the 2 QB's the first two games.  When asked who would be the starter, I answered honestly that I didn't know and indicated the staff was still evaluating and would use this bye week to nail that down.  They did just that and decided on David Buggs who has been playing only 8 man football the past couple of years at a Christian school.   My feeling is that either could get the job done and for the first game out of the box as a starter in a hostile environment he performed as well as could be expected.  The passing game will continue improve going forward as that will allow him to get more reps with the receiving group.  We have been plugging a tiny freshman in to help and the one interception Lakeland got was that young man turned the route in rather than out and it went straight to the defender.   Drops, mistakes like these are all areas of improvement which game experience will fix.

No doubt, if Lakeland is simply unable to call for a fair catch on the pooches, and can't field those, they'll have plenty of trouble in a rematch, too. And if the DBs who were out remain out, that's also a problem. Harrison scored two TDs last week and played zero plays this week. If he tore an ACL or something, Lakeland will be hurt. Ditto Dontay Joyner and Twan Wilson. 

I give credit to Osceola for playing much tougher than they seemed to last season. Last season, they seemed like a bunch of really nice guys. Tonight, as I said, they looked like the team that was going to get all of the 50/50 balls. Jakeem Jackson took two balls that should have been inconsequential for scores. He simply made the plays. 

31 minutes ago, skyway said:

No doubt, if Lakeland is simply unable to call for a fair catch on the pooches, and can't field those, they'll have plenty of trouble in a rematch, too. And if the DBs who were out remain out, that's also a problem. Harrison scored two TDs last week and played zero plays this week. If he tore an ACL or something, Lakeland will be hurt. Ditto Dontay Joyner and Twan Wilson. 

I give credit to Osceola for playing much tougher than they seemed to last season. Last season, they seemed like a bunch of really nice guys. Tonight, as I said, they looked like the team that was going to get all of the 50/50 balls. Jakeem Jackson took two balls that should have been inconsequential for scores. He simply made the plays. 

You must not have watched much as I saw every game and we always played tough, though we do have a bunch of really nice guys.  I will spell it out again for you a 2ND TIME.   We returned 1 starter on the offensive line with the rest of the bunch being freshmen and sophomores basically with zero varsity experience.  Those kids got beat up vs the top teams with a strong defensive fronts.   We essentially got them all back plus a couple of transfers and additional new freshmen.  Next year we will literally have them all back except for McCrimmon.  The three new freshmen playing mostly JV are in the 6'4" -6'5" 280-290 range.   Our OL will be a tremendous strength going forward.  

2 hours ago, skyway said:

Was your best DB out as well?

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

I definitely missed out on watching this game. It's crazy how 3 of Central Florida top 10 teams are 1-2 right now, y'all, Jones and Cocoa. Albeit Cocoa had a cakewalk this week. But y'all very well could've won by the sounds of it and Jones was almost able to send the Edgewater game into OT. Edgewater blocked a PAT.

Another big game for y'all next week against Rockledge. They ran all over Bayside tonight with only rushing TDs. I see that being a defensive battle with a couple big plays deciding that game.

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

You must not have watched much as I saw every game and we always played tough, though we do have a bunch of really nice guys.  I will spell it out again for you a 2ND TIME.   We returned 1 starter on the offensive line with the rest of the bunch being freshmen and sophomores basically with zero varsity experience.  Those kids got beat up vs the top teams with a strong defensive fronts.   We essentially got them all back plus a couple of transfers and additional new freshmen.  Next year we will literally have them all back except for McCrimmon.  The three new freshmen playing mostly JV are in the 6'4" -6'5" 280-290 range.   Our OL will be a tremendous strength going forward.  

Bottom line: Both teams wanted to run the ball, and understood the LOS was going to be key. Lakeland could run the ball; Osceola could not. 

The other fun fact is that, unless Buchholz takes one of us out, there will be another rematch. There's not much use in speculating further about what might/could/should have been given that fact. And it's possible both teams played with that in the back of their minds. The playoff rematch matters more. The team with more firepower not yet seen will have an advantage.

Future seasons look bright for both teams. 

4 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

I definitely missed out on watching this game. It's crazy how 3 of Central Florida top 10 teams are 1-2 right now, y'all, Jones and Cocoa. Albeit Cocoa had a cakewalk this week. But y'all very well could've won by the sounds of it and Jones was almost able to send the Edgewater game into OT. Edgewater blocked a PAT.

Another big game for y'all next week against Rockledge. They ran all over Bayside tonight with only rushing TDs. I see that being a defensive battle with a couple big plays deciding that game.

I stated at the outset of the season, we could possibly navigate the early schedule with 1 loss, 2 losses, 3 losses or NO losses.  We lost by 1 to the #1 team in 4M in OT, then to the #1 team in 4S by 3 at their place.  We don't see these as moral victories, just preparation for "Who's Next".......Rockledge, the #2 team in 3S again an away game.  Should be another slobbernocker. 

5 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Was your best DB out as well?

Cormani played the whole game for them and did make a crucial play on a 50/50 ball with Ja'Keem.  It was like a 20-30 yard pass play, they both went up and simultaneously caught the ball then went to the ground and for whatever reason Ja'Keem released his grip which resulted in an INT as opposed to a tie that goes to the offense.   Wet conditions contributed to both teams suffering 4 TO's apiece during the game which as expected was hard hitting.

26 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I stated at the outset of the season, we could possibly navigate the early schedule with 1 loss, 2 losses, 3 losses or NO losses.  We lost by 1 to the #1 team in 4M in OT, then to the #1 team in 4S by 3 at their place.  We don't see these as moral victories, just preparation for "Who's Next".......Rockledge, the #2 team in 3S again an away game.  Should be another slobbernocker. 

I'm definitely looking forward to watching that game and the Cocoa @ Melbourne game. They both should be streamed on both space Coast daily and BSN

20 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Cormani played the whole game for them and did make a crucial play on a 50/50 ball with Ja'Keem.  It was like a 20-30 yard pass play, they both went up and simultaneously caught the ball then went to the ground and for whatever reason Ja'Keem released his grip which resulted in an INT as opposed to a tie that goes to the offense.   Wet conditions contributed to both teams suffering 4 TO's apiece during the game which as expected was hard hitting.

Love when the best teams in the areas play. Reminds me of growing up watching the games live or waiting for the 30min sports recap on Channel 9 news and news13 in the late 90s and early 2000s before I got to high school.

Cormani basically has that Travis Hunter effect when it comes to most teams game plans. But love when teams don't let that deter them