An officiating travesty: the story of Venice-SFA tonight.

skyway

23 minutes ago, skyway said:

Live, on national TV tonight, the officials demonstrated how bad the officiating crisis is at the moment.  It was a profound embarrassment for the officiating profession. That is, of course, assuming it was not a matter of full-blown, corrupt, cheating that we watched tonight.

What happened?

15 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

What happened?

Too much to comment in depth on now. Other than the usual exploitation of the awful offsides rule by Venice, there were several absolutely egregious calls against SFA. A Venice WR was running completely upright, was stripped of the ball...and then the play was called down. Several false starts by Venice weren't called. It was as bad as I can remember. And that's saying a lot given how bad the officiating often is in Florida.

Have to agree with Skyway, had it not been for the officials this game would have been 48-3 rout.  On a single "TD Drive" if you can call it that, the penalties that kept the drive alive were minor in comparison with two fumble recoveries by SFA that the officials ruled they weren't; the second one just before the receiver crossed the goal line and fumbled it through the back of the endzone for a touchback.  Even the announcers had to point out the truth as it was self-evident.  The number of penalty yards accumulated by SFA may have been called for, but Venice OL can be seen holding on virtually every pass play and weren't called once for it.   Look at their schedule, it pays to stay at home.  

6 hours ago, Wavebb said:

skyway your comments are too kind.  I have never laughed so hard while watching a football game at any level.  

So true. Venice obvious fumbles that weren't called; one before the Venice player crossed the goal line, but was ruled a touchdown. Every time Venice needed a bailout penalty call, the refs obliged by calling one against SFA. It was clearly a football mismatch. Venice didn't belong on the same field with SFA.

10 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Have to agree with Skyway, had it not been for the officials this game would have been 48-3 rout.  On a single "TD Drive" if you can call it that, the penalties that kept the drive alive were minor in comparison with two fumble recoveries by SFA that the officials ruled they weren't; the second one just before the receiver crossed the goal line and fumbled it through the back of the endzone for a touchback.  Even the announcers had to point out the truth as it was self-evident.  The number of penalty yards accumulated by SFA may have been called for, but Venice OL can be seen holding on virtually every pass play and weren't called once for it.   Look at their schedule, it pays to stay at home.  

True definition of home field advantage. Hmmmm makes ya wonder why it's usually a 7 to 8 home game regular season lmao

I don't think it's helpful to have a typical ref pile on. But, I think we need to recognize that one of two things is true: 1) we witnessed profound incompetence or, 2) corruption. Did someone with ESPN/Paragon pay off the refs to keep it close-ish? Or do we have completely untrained refs due to the shortage?

14 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

If he watches the game and is honest he will find it difficult to defend. 

I didn't watch the game, but I am known for being honest, as most posters to this message board will admit. I have educated and informed many times on this message board, and you have learned from me. I always tell it like it is. 

3 hours ago, skyway said:

I don't think it's helpful to have a typical ref pile on. But, I think we need to recognize that one of two things is true: 1) we witnessed profound incompetence or, 2) corruption. Did someone with ESPN/Paragon pay off the refs to keep it close-ish? Or do we have completely untrained refs due to the shortage?

What is your theory skyway? 

5 hours ago, skyway said:

I don't have one. I'd be happy to listen to yours upon watching the game. Without you watching the game, I'll pay no attention to your opinion. I'm solutions oriented, and not interested in piling on well-intentioned people. 

Usually, I expect and demand an answer when I ask a question. However, considering that the circumstances surrounding this so-called "terrible officiating" is not known, your non-answer makes perfect sense. Therefore, you are off the hook skyway, but don't get used to it. 

Officiating is an issue!  Because we are lowly , horrible poinciana we always get assigned the "z" crew. I would never call them a "B" crew because that would be a compliment!  For us it is when we are at home. We get much better officials when we are away and out of county.  But our assigner believes we do not deserve a good officiating crew. He has even so much as told us that.  This is not to take away from some of the good officials on the crew. Because a few of them are. I am not going to say who gets the better calls. It seams as it is always against us. But that is not always true. They spread poor calls around for both teams some of the time. I understand getting officials is tough, but continuing to use poor ones doesnt help getting new ones due to the public opinion of officiating. Remember the public in the stands is better than all of us combined!

We always know there are holds on every play. but every time there is a big play it comes back. hits out of bounds only matter some times. pass interference only happens once in a while, even if the receiver gets tackled down field. No such thing as offensive pass interference. A kids stand over someone and taunts them right in front of a white cap. "he doesnt see it" or " yes I saw that but thats not my call"  But an official 50 yards away from a play can make a holding call that the couldnt see if it happened right in front of them. 

None of this has to do with the fact we lost last night. The other team outplayed us. In fact they were far more critical of the officiating than we were. Maybe we are just used to it. But the white cap that was there last night had been banned from coming to our school because of prior incidences. He lost control of a game  and numerous other officiating issues. But the assigner just happened to forget this week. and Didnt sent the list until friday morning. He has been stopped 10 or more times from coming. But last night slipped through because of the assigner not caring or "forgetting". 

I only have problems not solutions!

3 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Usually, I expect and demand an answer when I ask a question. However, considering that the circumstances surrounding this so-called "terrible officiating" is not known, your non-answer makes perfect sense. Therefore, you are off the hook skyway, but don't get used to it. 

there have been many comments which help answer your question. You have to actually watch the game in question to have any clue what we speak of.

14 hours ago, Beek said:

Officiating is an issue!  Because we are lowly , horrible poinciana we always get assigned the "z" crew. I would never call them a "B" crew because that would be a compliment!  For us it is when we are at home. We get much better officials when we are away and out of county.  But our assigner believes we do not deserve a good officiating crew. He has even so much as told us that.  This is not to take away from some of the good officials on the crew. Because a few of them are. I am not going to say who gets the better calls. It seams as it is always against us. But that is not always true. They spread poor calls around for both teams some of the time. I understand getting officials is tough, but continuing to use poor ones doesnt help getting new ones due to the public opinion of officiating. Remember the public in the stands is better than all of us combined!

We always know there are holds on every play. but every time there is a big play it comes back. hits out of bounds only matter some times. pass interference only happens once in a while, even if the receiver gets tackled down field. No such thing as offensive pass interference. A kids stand over someone and taunts them right in front of a white cap. "he doesnt see it" or " yes I saw that but thats not my call"  But an official 50 yards away from a play can make a holding call that the couldnt see if it happened right in front of them. 

None of this has to do with the fact we lost last night. The other team outplayed us. In fact they were far more critical of the officiating than we were. Maybe we are just used to it. But the white cap that was there last night had been banned from coming to our school because of prior incidences. He lost control of a game  and numerous other officiating issues. But the assigner just happened to forget this week. and Didnt sent the list until friday morning. He has been stopped 10 or more times from coming. But last night slipped through because of the assigner not caring or "forgetting". 

I only have problems not solutions!

Beek, I am very sorry to read what you are your team are having to put up with.  I know for a fact that officiating numbers are a HUGE problem in your area, and I believe that it will only get worse.