An officiating travesty: the story of Venice-SFA tonight.

skyway

7 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Perhaps someone can explain to me why it is necessary to have "Jambun82" comment on the officiating of the SFA - Venice game. Those of us that watched the game could see obvious blown calls throughout the game that almost always went against SFA. I don't know if the officials had a "bias" or just a bad day and consistently missed calls throughout the game, and as luck would have it, those calls almost always went against SFA. Venice was a "State Champion" last year, but that is not the case this year. Venice is nothing more than, at best, an average high school team this year. 

I'm not a coach or a referee; I'm just a high school football fan. We need the referees if we want to enjoy this great sport. There are a lot of good, honest referees in high school football, and even then they miss calls or make mistakes. I wouldn't want their job because as far as close calls go, one team and their fans will almost always complain. With that being said, I don't think the officials in the SFA - Venice game did their fellow officials any favors. 

I don't know if I have ever had the chance to state how much that I enjoy your posts and contributions to this message board HornetFan, but I am stating it now. 

11 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Perhaps someone can explain to me why it is necessary to have "Jambun82" comment on the officiating of the SFA - Venice game. Those of us that watched the game could see obvious blown calls throughout the game that almost always went against SFA........

Well HornetFan, it started many years ago, for a few of us, on the FlaVarsity message board. It's a part of the "Rivals" family of high school football websites. Whenever a homer fan like myself (Mainland High) or others claimed we were unfairly shafted by the Refs our resident long time Florida Official "Janbun82" would interject and want the particulars of the egregious act against our teams. In all the years I never remember him siding with any of us "poor losers." Not saying it didn't happen, I just can't remember it. He couldn't go against his brothers, his family of officials. Even when I would point out every profession has good and bad, competent and incompetent he never budged an inch. So after all these years St Frances at Venice comes along and WE GOT THE GOODS ON VIDEO !  Will he, or won't he side with his family ? That's the question  :) 

19 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Well HornetFan, it started many years ago, for a few of us, on the FlaVarsity message board. It's a part of the "Rivals" family of high school football websites. Whenever a homer fan like myself (Mainland High) or others claimed we were unfairly shafted by the Refs our resident long time Florida Official "Janbun82" would interject and want the particulars of the egregious act against our teams. In all the years I never remember him siding with any of us "poor losers." Not saying it didn't happen, I just can't remember it. He couldn't go against his brothers, his family of officials. Even when I would point out every profession has good and bad, competent and incompetent he never budged an inch. So after all these years St Frances at Venice comes along and WE GOT THE GOODS ON VIDEO !  Will he, or won't he side with his family ? That's the question  :) 

Dan, I think your problem is that even though you didn't like the answers that I have given, deep down you know that what I said was correct. In fact, I am sure that many times you said to yourself "Boy, that Jambun82 really knows what he is talking about and I have a lot to learn from him" My information and point-of-view was so valuable  that you could take it to the bank and exchange it for cash. 

12 hours ago, badbird said:

I'm not sure what to take of this new Jambun82.  I hope his officiating on Friday is better than his sarcasm.  Stay safe from the Beast, don't let him scare you.   

Badbird, I think that you should admit the truth about something that we both know to be true. You consider it a great honor and privilege to speak with me, and similar to Dan, you know that what I state is 100% accurate. You also say to yourself " That Jambun82 is one brilliant man, and even though I have been on this Earth a lot longer than him, he has taught me a lot and I hope to learn more from him." There is no need to deny reality badbird. 

Very surprised with the outcome of the Venice - Seminole game.  Will have to view this game tomorrow to see if the refs put their thumb on the scale of justice again.   Playing in their friendly confines, it is always a possibility.  Truly wished I didn't think this way and hope I am all wet after I get to watch the whole game. 

17 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Very surprised with the outcome of the Venice - Seminole game.  Will have to view this game tomorrow to see if the refs put their thumb on the scale of justice again.   Playing in their friendly confines, it is always a possibility.  Truly wished I didn't think this way and hope I am all wet after I get to watch the whole game. 

Just saw the scorestream for this game looks like Venice scored 17 unanswered points to get the come from behind win.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:50 PM, Ray Icaza said:

I expect you to keep an open mind Ray. 

1 hour ago, KeemD321 said:

And how do you know they are ineligible? Is there anything showing that to be the case?

By-laws of the Florida High School Athletic Association, Inc. 2022-23 Edition

9.5 LIMIT OF ELIGIBILITY 9.5.1 High School Student Has Eight Semesters of Eligibility. A student is limited to eight consecutive semesters of eligibility beginning with semester he/she begins ninth grade for the first time. This does not imply that the student has eight semesters of participation. After eight consecutive semesters, the student is permanently ineligible.

All entered 9th grade in 2018.  Their athletic eligibility has expired.  All previously attended other high schools: Bishop McNamara, St. Vincent Pallotti, Frederick Douglas.  Not sure how they're participating in a high school game in 2022.

9 hours ago, goblu said:

9.5 LIMIT OF ELIGIBILITY 9.5.1 High School Student Has Eight Semesters of Eligibility. A student is limited to eight consecutive semesters of eligibility beginning with semester he/she begins ninth grade for the first time. This does not imply that the student has eight semesters of participation. After eight consecutive semesters, the student is permanently ineligible.

All entered 9th grade in 2018.  Their athletic eligibility has expired.  All previously attended other high schools: Bishop McNamara, St. Vincent Pallotti, Frederick Douglas.  Not sure how they're participating in a high school game in 2022.

Well at the end of the day the game was still played. Even with bad calls the outcome wasn't different than what it would've been if those calls weren't called. 

Whether those players are indeed ineligible I'm sure something will come of it. Til then I can't say that's the case or not because I don't know and haven't seen any evidence stating other wise. 

Having 5 year starters doesn't necessarily give a team an advantage other than experience if that player got significant playing time all 5 years.

But again at the end of the day the game was scheduled, contracts signed, and I'm sure research was done on the team prior as well.

13 hours ago, goblu said:

Just curious (and I'm too busy to take the time to look it up):  were any of those kids starting at private schools in the 8th grade?  If so, that wouldn't count against their eligibility.  

Second thought:  because seasons got shortened for many teams a couple of years ago because of Covid, FHSAA may have made an exception - similar to what the NCAA did for college kids, so that the kids ended up with an extra year of eligibility. 

No dog in the fight from me; just throwing out a couple of possible explanations. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Just curious (and I'm too busy to take the time to look it up):  were any of those kids starting at private schools in the 8th grade?  If so, that wouldn't count against their eligibility.  

Second thought:  because seasons got shortened for many teams a couple of years ago because of Covid, FHSAA may have made an exception - similar to what the NCAA did for college kids, so that the kids ended up with an extra year of eligibility. 

No dog in the fight from me; just throwing out a couple of possible explanations. 

I know at least one state actually cared enough about the kids to grant additional eligibility to spring Athletes (I think it was Kentucky) 

Too bad the state of Florida didn't give a crap about those athletes enough, if it was football they would have 

38 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

One would assume a high profile game like this would have video, but I am also having trouble finding any.

Yea usually there's full game or highlights the very next day if not sooner. All I could find was a pregame show and I'm not sure if Varsity Sports Network covered it. I'm sure they would so I'll check there unless they covered the Jesuit vs Armwood game instead for that area.

23 hours ago, Perspective said:

For whatever reason, this rule is widely misinterpreted or unfamiliar to many.  It doesn't matter if the student started, doesn't matter if they were on varsity, doesn't matter if they participated at all.  Once you enter 9th grade you have 8 consecutive semesters of athletic eligibility.  Anyone who entered 9th grade in 2018, as these players did, is no longer eligible to participate in high school sports.

3 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Yea usually there's full game or highlights the very next day if not sooner. All I could find was a pregame show and I'm not sure if Varsity Sports Network covered it. I'm sure they would so I'll check there unless they covered the Jesuit vs Armwood game instead for that area.

Usually on NFHS network which I have a subscription to, but not there either. 

22 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Usually on NFHS network which I have a subscription to, but not there either. 

Venice use to stream most of there games on youtube, now they only stream pregame.

They now stream on the website below, but you have to buy a virtual ticket to watch the games live or watch a rerun. 

https://www.veniceindianfootball.org/