Reason maxpreps ranking a joke

Floridaatlantic1

Western hs is rated as 6th best team in 4m at 3-2 with big wins against Taravella who is 0-5.  Some Georgia team that is 1-5 and coconut creek who is 3-3.  Really. The. Go destroyed by ST Thomas and American h.   The. That winter park team is still rated three with weak schedule and ahead of team that just beat them.  O something 

please explain this secret dumb formula to determine playoffs to me 

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

It’s a computer, so it’s garbage in, garbage out 

Nolebull, I get the whole GIGO thing when it comes to accounting, but how does it work here?   What garbage is going in?  Isn't the only information being input the results of games played?    If so, isn't it the proprietary formula that MaxPreps uses (modified for the FHSAA to exclude point differential) that results in the garbage coming out?  

The whole problem is removing margin of victory from the maxpreps formula.  How else will you measure how powerful teams are without comparing their performance against teams vs how other teams beat them?  MoV is the *only* way to gauge a team's performance vs a team vs how other teams performed vs that same team.  For example, if team A on average beats team B by 50 points more than other teams who played team B, then clearly team A is 50 points better on average than other teams.  However, without MoV, then team A is ranked the same as team C who beat team B by 1 point.  

As I've mentioned before, without MoV you are left with Elo Chess statistical ranking which only gains significance over a large amount of samples which is much greater than the 10 game season team's play.

22 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

There is no doubt garbage is coming out of it so that can only be one conclusion which is garbage is going into it. That’s what we need to find out. What garbage is going into it

Seriously, is anything going into it other than scores?   Maybe we're just mincing words, but I think it's the formula being applied once the information goes in that's causing the garbage to come out. 

7 hours ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Western hs is rated as 6th best team in 4m at 3-2 with big wins against Taravella who is 0-5.  Some Georgia team that is 1-5 and coconut creek who is 3-3.  Really. The. Go destroyed by ST Thomas and American h.   The. That winter park team is still rated three with weak schedule and ahead of team that just beat them.  O something 

please explain this secret dumb formula to determine playoffs to me 

Your list is too short:D

On 10/10/2022 at 8:55 PM, KeemD321 said:

What's even wilder is that the maxprep rankings and the FHSAA rankings aren't even similar when you compare the state and regional rankings 

I haven't sat down and looked, but are the FHSAA rankings that are run by MaxPreps radically different that the MaxPreps rankings run with MoV?

Can someone explain why the RPI was worse then this (other than IMO FHSAA willing to be lazy)?

So looking at 4M, I guess the good thing is that Western drops in the FHSAA rankings, which actually determines playoffs and seeding. 

This is from the MaxPreps Rankings:

1    Columbus (Miami)
2    Seminole (Sanford)
3    Winter Park
4    Ocoee
5    Western (Davie)
6    Apopka
7    Lake Mary
8    Palmetto (Miami)
9    West Orange (Winter Garden)
10    Hagerty (Oviedo)
11    Palm Beach Central (Wellington)
12    East Lake (Tarpon Springs)
13    Lake Brantley (Altamonte Springs)
14    Newsome (Lithia)
15    Mandarin (Jacksonville)

This is from the FHSAA Rankings (run by MaxPreps)

1    Columbus (Miami, FL) (Same Ranking)
2    Hagerty (Oviedo, FL) (8 Spots Higher)
3    Lake Mary (Lake Mary, FL) (4 spots higher)
4    Ocoee (Ocoee, FL) (Same Ranking)
5    Seminole (Sanford, FL) (3 spots lower)
6    Winter Park (Winter Park, FL) (3 spots lower)
7    Santaluces (Lantana, FL) ----
8    Palm Beach Gardens (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) ----
9    Palm Beach Central (Wellington, FL) (2 spots higher)
10    Doral Academy (Doral, FL)
11    Monarch (Coconut Creek, FL)
12    Apopka (Apopka, FL) (6 spots lower)
13    Lake Brantley (Altamonte Springs, FL) (Same Ranking)
14    East Lake (Tarpon Springs, FL) (2 spots lower)
15    Western (Davie, FL) (10 spots lower)

2 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I haven't sat down and looked, but are the FHSAA rankings that are run by MaxPreps radically different that the MaxPreps rankings run with MoV?

Can someone explain why the RPI was worse then this (other than IMO FHSAA willing to be lazy)?

It is

Treasure Coast as of last week was I think 2nd or 3rd in their region in MaxPreps but 11th in their region in the FHSAA

And the only people in favor of this over MaxPreps are probably ones who are getting an advantage by playing a garbage schedule and being undefeated when RPI seemed to reward tougher schedules more than scheduling cupcakes