New FHSAA rankings out

Dr. D

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Nice work Doc.  Now that you've done 25% of the classes (not counting Rural), I'm curious to see how the other six would play out, but you've done plenty of work, so I'm not asking you to do more.  Just curious. 

Not trying to clog up the forum with big attachments, but 4S below was my first attempt.  So really just 5 more classifications to go, although I'm getting tired of looking at my Rand-McNally Road Atlas and MapQuest.  But I learned that Lake Placid is in Florida, when I thought all this time it was in New York, so I'm learning a lot about Florida geography.  I'll leave computer models to the mathematicians and statisticians. 1985727408_4-SDistricts1024_1.thumb.jpg.50a5221eddb20f3836270a6b5402734d.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Not trying to clog up the forum with big attachments, but 4S below was my first attempt.  So really just 5 more classifications to go, although I'm getting tired of looking at my Rand-McNally Road Atlas and MapQuest.  But I learned that Lake Placid is in Florida, when I thought all this time it was in New York, so I'm learning a lot about Florida geography.  I'll leave computer models to the mathematicians and statisticians. 1985727408_4-SDistricts1024_1.thumb.jpg.50a5221eddb20f3836270a6b5402734d.jpg

good work,  

playing devils advocate,

pretty boring to play the same teams year in and year out, only having 1 or 2 teams not in your district you would get to schedule.  

to be in a powerhouse district and be a bottom feeder, would be absolutely awful.  

oh i know, get better, sometimes even the best coaches, nicest uniforms, awesome equipment, etc, flat out doesnt beat jimmies and joes.  i couldnt imagine being forced to play just these teams yearly.  ocps does that and every year the same schools beat the same schools.  winter park beats colonial, university, every year, timber creek beats colonial, university, east river, every year, on and on and on.  boring....

5 hours ago, 181pl said:

going back to some of Dr. D‘s work, which was really good.

I’d probably shoot for 12 districts with 8 teams per and have the top 2 qualify. FL is committed to a 5 round playoff so we’d have the last 8 qualify through a wildcard based on record against teams in their region. Could even do something like a Kansas tiebreaker between the teams that don’t automatically qualify. That would be really cool. Would need a few more teams in the large classes. But right now we have nine classes and a bunch of independents. We don’t need nine classes. We probably need six classes. The smaller classes could operate on the region model and have a four round playoff. The larger classes, 4, 5, and 6, would have five rounds of playoffs and there should be plenty of teams to fill those districts up.

And just how exactly would you force teams outside of the districts to play each other?

Maybe we should have teams like say Suwannee told they MUST play Columbia due to proximity otherwise they forfeit any playoff consideration

Maybe do same for Fort White too 

You aren't getting that not every county is centrally scheduled like Tampa and most counties have no way to force one team to play another so how exactly would that work

If they went to 3 teams per district and had champs and runner ups they would have 6 teams and could do 2 wild cards based on whatever they want and maybe even do seeing based on RPI

I would be Perfectly fine with that 

11 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And just how exactly would you force teams outside of the districts to play each other?

Maybe we should have teams like say Suwannee told they MUST play Columbia due to proximity otherwise they forfeit any playoff consideration

Maybe do same for Fort White too 

You aren't getting that not every county is centrally scheduled like Tampa and most counties have no way to force one team to play another so how exactly would that work

If they went to 3 teams per district and had champs and runner ups they would have 6 teams and could do 2 wild cards based on whatever they want and maybe even do seeing based on RPI

I would be Perfectly fine with that 

Smaller classes would not play in districts. They'd play in  regions. 

For larger classes, you could always have a Kansas tiebreaker for teams near the top with similar records in the same region. Essentially a play in tournament.

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Smaller classes would not play in districts. They'd play in  regions. 

For larger classes, you could always have a Kansas tiebreaker for teams near the top with similar records in the same region. Essentially a play in tournament.

Well they could do 6 classes with the current format 

Merge 1S and 1R together

Turn 2,3 and 4S info 2 classes combined 

Take 1-4M and merge into 3 total classes 

So then it's 3 suburban/rural classes and 3 metro for 6 total and less classes can make larger districts and maybe even going to 3 districts per region would help 

On 10/28/2022 at 10:47 AM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well they could do 6 classes with the current format 

Merge 1S and 1R together

Turn 2,3 and 4S info 2 classes combined 

Take 1-4M and merge into 3 total classes 

So then it's 3 suburban/rural classes and 3 metro for 6 total and less classes can make larger districts and maybe even going to 3 districts per region would help 

You know good and well that none of those 1R teams want anything to do with those 1S teams. 

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

You know good and well that none of those 1R teams want anything to do with those 1S teams. 

I'm aware but the reality is the top teams in 1R could compete with the top teams in 1S but they are so resistant to change and are doing anything they can to game the system to easily make the playoffs than act like they would beat the real powerhouses

I didnt want to start a new thread for this question so I will ask it here.  When do the final FHSAA rankings come out?  They can't possibly wait until their usual mid-week release next week since teams in the playoffs need to know before monday so they can practice and know when/where/who they are playing.  Many playoff bids are still in the balance so a bunch of teams will need to know right away.  I hope the final rankings come out on Sunday at the latest.

45 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

I didnt want to start a new thread for this question so I will ask it here.  When do the final FHSAA rankings come out?  They can't possibly wait until their usual mid-week release next week since teams in the playoffs need to know before monday so they can practice and know when/where/who they are playing.  Many playoff bids are still in the balance so a bunch of teams will need to know right away.  I hope the final rankings come out on Sunday at the latest.

If I’m not mistaken it’s gonna be Sunday or at the very latest Monday. Since some schools have games on Saturday that would have major playoff implications. For example DILLARD and ely. Even tho ely is a district winner, they’re in a fight with the panthers for the #2 seed in 3M. A win by Dillard Saturday will secure them the 2nd seed & HFA to atleast the 3rd round. And ely will be the 3rd seed. A win by ely Saturday will flip those numbers. 

21 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

If I’m not mistaken it’s gonna be Sunday or at the very latest Monday. Since some schools have games on Saturday that would have major playoff implications. For example DILLARD and ely. Even tho ely is a district winner, they’re in a fight with the panthers for the #2 seed in 3M. A win by Dillard Saturday will secure them the 2nd seed & HFA to atleast the 3rd round. And ely will be the 3rd seed. A win by ely Saturday will flip those numbers. 

If Ely wins, would a four loss Dillard team really be in the top three? I think Dillard wins, so it’s probably academic. But it seems a little ridiculous to have a four loss team as the number three seed. 

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

If Ely wins, would a four loss Dillard team really be in the top three? I think Dillard wins, so it’s probably academic. But it seems a little ridiculous to have a four loss team as the number three seed. 

I believe it goes off of SOS yes DILLARD would have 4 loses but 3 of Those would be to top 10 national schools factor in their records as well that would be why Dillard has such a high ranking. Now a loss to ely would be terrible & almost made me throw up lol. 

but looking at it from a #s perspective dillard 3 opponents they lost to have a combined record of (27-0) Blanche ely is coming in (8-0) 

8 minutes ago, h8r said:

strength of schedule has to be a part, but no way thats the only thing.  3 of the top 10 SOS have losing records.

so schedule tough and lose and still make playoffs.

seems ridiculous to me

I believe also you have to win some games as well if not outright win your district which is how some teams can be 2-8 and make the playoffs 

but using Dillard as an example again. outside of our 3 Top 10 opponents , we always went up against a very very good 8-1 Miramar team , & a  7-2 plantation team, beat both of those team by a score of 77-13

we also went up against 6-3 rock creek, 5-4 ft Lauderdale 5-4 Lincoln & now about to go up against 8-0 ely 

tallying up dillard opponents overall record it is 58-14, add that Dillard has 6 of those games I guess that’s how we have the #2 seed right now & can’t go no lower then a #3 seed. 

looking at the losing record teams,

treaseure coast and that region is interesting, 4s region 3, they have the strongest SOS in the whole region, but not district champs, 6th in the region in ranking, etc, etc,

they play chaminade friday and likely lose

but they probably make the playoffs, which is completely bizzare at 3-7

5 minutes ago, h8r said:

treaseure coast and that region is interesting, 4s region 3, they have the strongest SOS in the whole region, but not district champs, 6th in the region in ranking, etc, etc,

Someone mentioned that TC would b eliminated from playoff contention if they lost 

14 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Someone mentioned that TC would b eliminated from playoff contention if they lost 

their district is chock full of teams that have beat each other up, vero, martin county, tresure coast, centinnel. 

friday will be interesting for sure for that one, 

diving into these rankings now.

this guy says ratings are what gets teams in,

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2022/11/02/what-fhsaa-football-brackets-would-if-playoffs-started-today/10656015002/

if thats the case some of those 7,8 win teams will not be getting in and someone like TC at 3-6 with a huge power ranking will be in, 

some dist champs will be on the road too? according to what he posted on that link if it stays true, 

thats ludacris....

FHSAA RANKINGS are par for the course.  We end up beating a 5-3 Toho squad this past Friday that is a mandatory district game by the score of 62-7 (48-0 @ halftime with running clock midway thru 2nd qtr.) and DROP 3 SPOTS!!   I made an observation at the beginning of the season that however they decided to rank teams for playoff seeding we could not rely on the formula to help us in any way.  So, we must win district just to get in and we will take our chances against whomever on the field of play as past experience has shown whatever the system it does us no favors.  Don't mistake this as we should get a ton of credit for this win as I didn't expect that; just don't penalize us for winning the damn game. 

3 hours ago, h8r said:

Nvm