Can fhsaa end the Maxpreps rankings for next year

Floridaatlantic1

So I want to get this straight.  Your telling me that a 4-5 team Palmetto is the 9th best team this year.  It seems maxoreps does not count losses if you lose to a solid team at all. They have a 5-4 team lake Brantley rated super high too. What a joke. End this crazy rankings next year and go back to rpi.  The rankings don’t really match up that much anyway when the fhsaa ones come out.  Whole things is maddening because playoffs will be determined by this. 

We both agree on this. This system totally lacks transparency. With the RPI you could create a spreadsheet and double check it against the FHSAA calculations. With this you can't for first we don't know how Max Preps comes up with its rankings. But even if we did, as you state, there are huge difference between Max Preps and what the FHSAA converts them to. 

Many programs will feel like they were cheated using this new method which is definitely not an improvement over the RPI method. Heck, while District champs and runner up had its issues, it was better than a system shrouded in secrecy.   

22 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

We both agree on this. This system totally lacks transparency. With the RPI you could create a spreadsheet and double check it against the FHSAA calculations. With this you can't for first we don't know how Max Preps comes up with its rankings. But even if we did, as you state, there are huge difference between Max Preps and what the FHSAA converts them to. 

Many programs will feel like they were cheated using this new method which is definitely not an improvement over the RPI method. Heck, while District champs and runner up had its issues, it was better than a system shrouded in secrecy.   

I would gladly take the RPI because at least then we could have some transparency

Not sure if the original topic line is a rhetorical question or a factual question, but the proposal to use the MaxPreps ratings in place of the RPI ratings originated from the Football Advisory Committee in January 2022 (9-0 vote).  It was subsequently approved by the FHSAA Board of Directors at their April 2022 meeting (16-0 vote).  Presumably the FHSAA could return to the use of the RPI ratings (or any other ratings system they so desire) for football, if such a proposal was presented to and passed by a vote of the Board of Directors.  Of course, that would require a lot of people to admit they made a big mistake by passing this in the first place.  In other words, they could end the use of the MaxPreps ratings, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I was showing how horrible maxpreps rankings are when they count margin of victory. If you end up with a 4-5 team at number 9 in 4m and another 5-4 team who did not not beat anybody in top 16. Then something is wrong with your  ranking formula. The one team lost 37-7 a week ago and rose three spots in the state. SOS is weighted wayyyyy too heavy in maxpreps.  Go back to rpi which makes sense a lot more than this dumb ranking .

Palmetto is ranked in the FHSAA rankings as the 168th in the state and I would bet they are better than that.  The issue is that there are 9 divisions so when you isolate it to 4M, there just arent that many teams so 9th best seems crazy but look individually at the teams in that ranking and then comment.

1 hour ago, PinellasFB said:

Palmetto is ranked in the FHSAA rankings as the 168th in the state and I would bet they are better than that.  The issue is that there are 9 divisions so when you isolate it to 4M, there just arent that many teams so 9th best seems crazy but look individually at the teams in that ranking and then comment.

If we used the actual MaxPreps rankings (not FHSAA's version of it), then Palmetto is 68th in the state.
In 4M, they would be ranked 9th (using MaxPreps rankings) behind the following teams, instead of 22nd in the classification with FHSAA's version.
1    Columbus (Miami)
2    Seminole (Sanford)
3    Winter Park
4    Apopka
5    Ocoee
6    Lake Mary
7    West Orange (Winter Garden)
8    Palm Beach Central (Wellington)

Updated, because I assumed that Miami Central was 4M. 

Just to clarify, if you are looking at MaxPreps rankings on their website, that is the normal way they calculate it with margin of victory, etc. They are also taking previous years success into account (or at least I am assuming they do considering Champagnat Catholic is ranked 63rd and they no longer exist as a school). 

19 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

If we used the actual MaxPreps rankings (not FHSAA's version of it), then Palmetto is 68th in the state.
In 4M, they would be ranked 10th (using MaxPreps rankings) behind the following teams, instead of 22nd in the classification with FHSAA's version.
1    Central (Miami)
2    Columbus (Miami)
3    Seminole (Sanford)
4    Winter Park
5    Apopka
6    Ocoee
7    Lake Mary
8    West Orange (Winter Garden)
9    Palm Beach Central (Wellington)

Why is Miami Central included in this? Central is in 2M not 4M

3 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Problem is the people in charge at the FHSAA are super incompetent. So nothing will change until those clowns are out. Until then, you either have to accept the incompetence, stop investing time in HSFB, or go do something about it. 

Maybe but I would rather trust the FHSAA than trust the state government to run it 

18 hours ago, Dr. D said:

Not sure if the original topic line is a rhetorical question or a factual question, but the proposal to use the MaxPreps ratings in place of the RPI ratings originated from the Football Advisory Committee in January 2022 (9-0 vote).  It was subsequently approved by the FHSAA Board of Directors at their April 2022 meeting (16-0 vote).  Presumably the FHSAA could return to the use of the RPI ratings (or any other ratings system they so desire) for football, if such a proposal was presented to and passed by a vote of the Board of Directors.  Of course, that would require a lot of people to admit they made a big mistake by passing this in the first place.  In other words, they could end the use of the MaxPreps ratings, but I wouldn't bet on it.

All it will take to change it again is a couple of the 'wrong' teams getting screwed by the new system.