Is Treasure Coast a playoff team?

Jimmyb80

The local paper had an article, behind pay wall, arguing that TC deserves a playoff spot due to quality of opponents it lost too this season…they finished 3-7 with Wins over Fort Pierce Central, Martin county, and Centennial and losses to Chaminade, Jesuit, STA, Kissimmee Osceola to name a few….what do you guys think? I feel it’s like arguing that Vanderbilt should make a bowl game due to the quality of opponents they lose too every season….if they had beaten one other district opponent they would be in as district champ! Just curious if SOS should count more than wins or if close losses are better, in your opinion, then wins against “inferior” opponents 

They are definitely one of the top 8 teams in the region and no one wants to play them first round.  This reminds me a little of Booker T several years ago when they missed the playoffs because they had a brutal schedule.  Treasure Coast needs to realize they are not IMG and schedule something a little more reasonable.  I commend them for not being scared but you don't have to be scared to take an ass whooping.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The question you ask is likely moot. TC will most likely be the 7 or 8 seed in the Region. So, there is a good chance that a rematch with Vero Beach will occur. 

But my response to the question he poses is they would handily beat over half of the teams that get in, so yes they are good enough to compete in the playoffs.  Lots of the teams he commends for scheduling "WISELY" are not.  Darter is correct that they will most likely get in thus the reason for the post.  Vero doesn't want a rematch with them or a real challenge in the playoffs until they get to the Regional Finals and most likely face us at their place.

6 minutes ago, badbird said:

Is Treasure Coast healthy enough?  Looks like they got destroyed last night.  

6 minutes ago, badbird said:

Is Treasure Coast healthy enough?  Looks like they got destroyed last night.  

Team at the national level of Chaminade will do that to teams like TC that only presents a running attack (much as our offense looked like for decades).  Regardless of the margin due to shortcomings on that side of the field they did hang 45 points against TC, but hung 49 on Dillard, 42 on Northwestern, even 42 on American Heritage.   What their health status is only they know, what I will agree is to your earlier point they have no business scheduling a team like CMD or STA or any elite team in the top 1%.  They may have let the success of beating AHP last year go to their heads as they should realize going in those level teams make little sense as it is pretty much an assured loss.  If you want to pick up two strong challenges where you might have a chance then a Jesuit, Osceola, etc.. makes sense with good enough overall teams already in your own district. 

16 minutes ago, 181pl said:

hell no. 3-7 does not deserve post season. lunacy. Who cares if they played a hard schedule. 

Lunacy on steroids is letting an 8-2 team that played chumps all year get in.   Now all we need to do is wait another week and see how the 3-7 team does in the first round vs those 8-2 teams that you SEEM to favor. 

Upon further review, Treasure Coast did finish second in their district with a 3-1 district record (and losing only to the district champion, Vero Beach, 10-7 in OT).   For the better part of this millennium, that would have been good enough to make the playoffs. 

Honestly, I don't know which sends a better message to coaches going forward:  (1) schedule as hard as you want and you will be rewarded, record be damned or (2) schedule hard, but not too hard, as the main goal is to make the playoffs and if you schedule too hard for your team's capabilities, you run the risk of losing too many games and missing the post-season altogether. 

Treasure Coast is 3-6 and without a doubt one of the best 8 teams in its region, 4S R3.  Their entire district (D12) is likely to send 4 of its 5 teams to the playoffs which I don't agree with since I think a district should be capped at three teams in the playoffs but that is another argument for a different day.

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

hell no. 3-7 does not deserve post season. lunacy. Who cares if they played a hard schedule. 

No surprise you have this idea since no Tampa team will ever play a schedule as tough as treasure coast 

Maybe we should have Treasure Coast play Plant and if Plant loses they are banned from playoffs for 5 years, if Treasure Coast wins they are in 

Btw the runner up system you loved so much had 1-9 teams getting in through crap districts so it's not like that system actually gave anything better even if this current ranking is trash compared to the RPI we had a year ago 

33 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Upon further review, Treasure Coast did finish second in their district with a 3-1 district record (and losing only to the district champion, Vero Beach, 10-7 in OT).   For the better part of this millennium, that would have been good enough to make the playoffs. 

Honestly, I don't know which sends a better message to coaches going forward:  (1) schedule as hard as you want and you will be rewarded, record be damned or (2) schedule hard, but not too hard, as the main goal is to make the playoffs and if you schedule too hard for your team's capabilities, you run the risk of losing too many games and missing the post-season altogether. 

Are you forgetting the obvious elephant in the room

The reason some teams can go get winnable games is because only powerhouses will SCHEDULE certain teams 

Outside of districts the FHSAA can't FORCE teams to play but maybe they should

14 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Treasure Coast is 3-6 and without a doubt one of the best 8 teams in its region, 4S R3.  Their entire district (D12) is likely to send 4 of its 5 teams to the playoffs which I don't agree with since I think a district should be capped at three teams in the playoffs but that is another argument for a different day.

It's possible at the NFL level to send all 4 teams in the division to the playoffs 

If 4 teams in one district are among the best 8 in the region why shouldn't they go?

40 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

No surprise you have this idea since no Tampa team will ever play a schedule as tough as treasure coast 

Maybe we should have Treasure Coast play Plant and if Plant loses they are banned from playoffs for 5 years, if Treasure Coast wins they are in 

Btw the runner up system you loved so much had 1-9 teams getting in through crap districts so it's not like that system actually gave anything better even if this current ranking is trash compared to the RPI we had a year ago 

Laughable. In what world does losing 70% of your games give you the reward of a post season? And if Plant or any other team I support in any sport lost 70% of its games and made the playoffs i’d be embarrassed…

33 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's possible at the NFL level to send all 4 teams in the division to the playoffs 

If 4 teams in one district are among the best 8 in the region why shouldn't they go?

Here's where I think that argument loses steam:   why stop at the district/regional level?  What if Region 1 has a couple of teams that are good, but finish 9 and 10 in their region and thus do not make the playoffs.  But, those two "left out teams" have a better power rankings than the last two teams that make it into the playoffs in Region 2.  Shouldn't the Region 1 'left out teams' make the playoffs over the last two teams in Region 2?   If the answer to this question is "no," then why is the answer different when it comes to Districts and Regions?  

To paraphrase, "if the teams in one region are among the best 32 in the state, why shouldn't they go?"

(And, yes, I know "travel" is a factor, but what team do you know of that wouldn't gladly travel to play a playoff game as opposed to not playing at all?)

1 minute ago, 181pl said:

To play out this moronic logic, if say FAU schedules Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, USC, Penn State, and Oregon and loses every game, but beats the avg teams on its schedule, some of you would say they deserve a shot in say a 12 team ncaa playoff?

That’s my logic! A team that did not win ONE non conference game is talked about like a shoe-in state playoff team that some people credit as “established top area team” yes I’m looking at you Columbia! Who have they beaten? I’ll wait….Martin county who at 7-2 has played a horrible schedule? I mean yes they beat Vero after Veros QB goes down…but 3-6 and we act like they a shoe-in playoff team with ZERO quality wins! So what quality LOSSES a thing now?

And here's another example.  Flagler Palm Coast is 3-6 and will finish 3-7 if they lost to DeLand tonight.  They are ranked 15th out of 18 teams in their region.    Yet they are guaranteed a playoff spot because they are champions of a pitiful 3-team district.  So as long as you advocate the status quo with laughable 2- and 3-team districts, you will continue to get "crap" teams in the playoffs.  

34 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

And here's another example.  Flagler Palm Coast is 3-6 and will finish 3-7 if they lost to DeLand tonight.  They are ranked 15th out of 18 teams in their region.    Yet they are guaranteed a playoff spot because they are champions of a pitiful 3-team district.  So as long as you advocate the status quo with laughable 2- and 3-team districts, you will continue to get "crap" teams in the playoffs.  

they had to forfeit 4 games.  I think they won 2 of them.  Not arguing just stating facts

You are correct; I misstated the facts.  On review. they actually won 3 of the 4 games, but I guess the Power Rankings count them as losses for calculation purposes.  Still in a rinky-dink district, but so much for my point.  Thanks for the correction.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Are you forgetting the obvious elephant in the room

The reason some teams can go get winnable games is because only powerhouses will SCHEDULE certain teams 

Outside of districts the FHSAA can't FORCE teams to play but maybe they should

I would like to see them get in, they went 3-1 in the district and one of the best teams in that region.

I want the best teams in the playoffs, they did everything they could in there district (unfortunately fell short to VB) and I love that they challenged themselves. Tired of all these teams making excuses or sneaking there away into the playoffs by playing a medicore schedules.

This year has been the best HSFB year to me in a while, the Top teams took the iniative to actually schedule competitive games!

Sure TC didnt win those games, but watching film on the games they more than held there own with top teams throughout Florida.

Much rather them play a team like Jesuit that came down to a 2 point conversion compared to staying in the area and playing a local team (Ex: Westwood 40+ blowout). 

It could also be to Columbias point, some local teams might have not wanted to schedule TC. (Speculation in TCs point but it does happen.)

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Laughable. In what world does losing 70% of your games give you the reward of a post season? And if Plant or any other team I support in any sport lost 70% of its games and made the playoffs i’d be embarrassed…

You missed the obvious point I was trying to make that you don't really value the concept of SOS because to you someone is automatically better if their record says so because nobody in Tampa EVER plays a schedule half as good as Treasure Coast played this year

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

To play out this moronic logic, if say FAU schedules Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, USC, Penn State, and Oregon and loses every game, but beats the avg teams on its schedule, some of you would say they deserve a shot in say a 12 team ncaa playoff?

The faulty logic your trying to use here has one major inconsistently

When would FAU regardless of schedule be SIGNIFICANTLY better than teams who are making playoffs in the same division (classification) as them 

The argument for Treasure Coast is record or not I have a hard time believing there are 8 teams in that region who would actually beat them head to head